Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victoria Park - Your Stories?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me mate, Greening was the greatest player I've ever seen, cruelly cut down by that thug Jim O'Dea from StKilda. He could cover the ground like a ferret, take absolute screamers, and kick the ball 65 metres. He would have won the brownlow by a mile had he not been king hit from behind play, 30 secs into a game! As a kid I was there with my Grandfather at Moorabin the day he was knocked out. To this day, I absolutely hate StKilda.

While people always associate number 22 with bobby rose or T. Shaw, for me I always think of Johnny Greening - an absolute champion. The club should see if they can put together a highlights package from old B & W film footage, it would be a bloody ripper.
madman Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:51 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
Could we get a camera in there now that the Club have gone? would anyone be willing to take a camera down and shoot the place from top to bottom? Smile

Steve.

Hey guys, i went down to Vic Park, October last year, on a sunny Sunday afternoon when i had nothing better to do, and took some nice pics of Vic Park. My sister did work for a photo shop at the time and enlarged some of the photos, can scan them and email them to people if they are interested in seeing the pics. Vic Park is a bit run down, so it doesn't look as good as it use to.
madman Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:28 pm

My memories.

My Family had the same reserved seats for 12 staright years, in the Rush stand, we had the opposition reserve players and officals sit right behind us every game (never heard a peep out of them). But the game i remember best at Vic Park (not a good memory) was against Hawthorn in 1987 a couple of weeks after Pat Cash won Wimbledon, we had Pat Cash sitting right behind us, Collingwood was getting killed this day to the tune of 100 plus points. By 3 quater time everybody had cracked the s**** and word had got around that Pat Cash was at the footy. Then people start coming from everywhere wanting his autograph. What was funny was Dad was cracking the S**** big time cause people where walking all over us just to get his Autograph, we couldn't see the game anymore, we where getting beatin by a 100 plus points, so Mum & Dad shut up shop and told my sister and i it was time to head home. Quite funny when i look back on it now.

Years later, when mum & dad stopped going to the footy, i started going with my best mate and we would stand down score board end. We where playing the crows. Modra was jogging back to position for the final quater had not kicked a goal all day, was getting abuse from everybody, so what does Modra do ? gives us all the Bird, well this set everybody off. He decide to just stand in the goal square, he didn't stay there long mainly due to all the small stones that where being throw at him. I really miss that home ground advantage.

Not really a great memory more of a trait of a falling down Vic Park, as my mate would say, watch it when you go to the toilets (score board end near Rush stand) if you get caught in the deep end you will end up ankle deep in piss ( and that was no lie), the toilets at VP are really not something i miss. Funny Memorys
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:31 am

madman wrote:
MagpieMad wrote:
Could we get a camera in there now that the Club have gone? would anyone be willing to take a camera down and shoot the place from top to bottom? Smile

Steve.

Hey guys, i went down to Vic Park, October last year, on a sunny Sunday afternoon when i had nothing better to do, and took some nice pics of Vic Park. My sister did work for a photo shop at the time and enlarged some of the photos, can scan them and email them to people if they are interested in seeing the pics. Vic Park is a bit run down, so it doesn't look as good as it use to.

Rhyce is the custodian of a great legacy and I think he knows it. It is not a burden, but to know the meaning the two 2s on his back will empower him.

floreat 22

clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:03 pm
Post subject: JOHNNY BOYDReply with quote

peanut man was johnny boyd affectionately known as uncle johnny, died a few years ago what wasnt widely known is that this quitely spoken man was a self made millionaire who worked his way up from paper boy to newsagent and adult book shop owner

GONE but NOT forgotten memories of VIC PARK
Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:22 am
Post subject: Re: JOHNNY BOYDReply with quote

clokeysneighbour wrote:
peanut man was johnny boyd affectionately known as uncle johnny, died a few years ago what wasnt widely known is that this quitely spoken man was a self made millionaire who worked his way up from paper boy to newsagent and adult book shop owner

GONE but NOT forgotten memories of VIC PARK

Oh my god shags, you have just brought that guy back into my mind I remember him ever so slightly, he used to walk on the boundary and throw peanuts to ppl who wanted to buy them if thats the one you are talking about? Please do let me know and the reason I can remember him is because my dad would always say to me do you want some peanuts knowing that I didnt like them and I would be sick if I had them just to piss me off LOL! Let me know Shags (CL)

PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:24 am

Go ahead, after a copy of the Norm Smith Medal poster, try to know Shags CL.
Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:23 am

HAL wrote:
Go ahead, after a copy of the Norm Smith Medal poster, try to know Shags CL.

What makes you bring that up Hal? That was a long time ago, but if anyone has one I will pay cash!

PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:26 am

"" was a time ago but if anyone has one he or she will pay cash?
clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 pm
Post subject: PEANUTS SHILLIN A BAG PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTSReply with quote

there was only ONE peanut man Dan and he also did waverly princes park *shudder* and windy hill that i know of

he never married and friends of mine when i used to live in north ringwood did know him for over 40 years as their father was a newspaper boy under him back in 1956

REMEMBERING JOHN BOYD A.K.A THE PEANUT MAN
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:20 pm

My first trip to VP as a little fella was the final training session before the 1980 GF. It was a record training crowd of 20,000 or something ridiculous. My heroes at the time were Billy Picken, Ray Shaw and Rene Kink, soon to be replaced by the young Macedonian Marvel and Captain Courageous.

The thing I remember most was finding a rabbit's foot on the way to the ground. Needless to say, I never grew up to be superstitious!
TAZ IS HOT 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:27 pm

I remember making it to 2nd base for the first time behind one of the food stalls in the early 90's
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:56 pm

On Saturday 28th September 2002 after another GF loss which, surprisingly was well-celebrated at the Carringbush. Myself and my Magpie kindred headed drunkenly down Hoddle Street to the familiarity of Victoria Park.

We continued to imbibe the amber liquid to dull the pain of what was really a GF that was let slip or taken from us or as the night wore on "we woz robbed !!". After a well earned pit stop, I swayed my way across the dark green turf to the the center circle (VB can in hand).

Pathetically I stood silently appealling to the Football Gods to end our GF pain. I did not notice the rather huge figures that approached in the dark. Looking up I braced for whatever was coming. What came was a slurred "G'day mate" Me and this anonymous Magpie bunch talked through the match blow by blow. We five came to the conclusions rather drunkenly that "we wash robbed - that wash a goal - where wash the free kicks in our forward line??"

Then somehow we started singing "Good Old Collingwood Forever ..." louder and louder and louder ... then we reached the end and sang it again. After the third or fourth time (and the end of my VB can) we said our goodbyes and I rejoined my crew back in the Social Club.

Can't remember a face amongst that bunch just the feeling that there were Magpie people who will never say die, that Collingwood, and for that matter Victoria Park, is - FOREVER.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:40 pm

I only went to Vic Park in our less than glorious years, but don't think i'll ever forget watching Big Sav kick a bag of 9 there against Freo. A couple of hapless freo supporters decided to come onto the grass behind the goals and started cheering as freo built a lead and looked like beating us on our home turf.

I think these two naive West Australians were lucky Sav fired that day Because if the Pies lost I dont think they would've got out unscathed.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 pm

madman wrote:
MagpieMad wrote:

Steve.

m8 scan them and send them in and we'll share them with all of the faithfull when we add them to the Victoria Park Tribute pages.
http://www.magpies.net/nick/history/victoriapark/vicpark.html

mail them to webmaster@magpies.net

thanks Wink

Steve.

PS. die4pies thanx for the pics, we should have them up over the weekend sometime.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11   

Jump to: