Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victoria Park - Your Stories?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic thread guys. Keep the stories comin'.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:50 pm

Quote:
Us against the world - the way we loved it

That sums up Collingwood in 9 words. Thats the way it is, was and always will be. Pies forever!
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:13 pm

Can everyone please check the Nick's Collingwood Page forum in regards to this thread.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:41 am

Thanks every one that posted your stories, for one that has never had the privilege of visiting Victoria Park, these stories can conjure up some unexpected deep emotions, the pain I feel knowing I will never visit VP when it is our home is real and something I will have to live with for the rest of my life, you may not understand it, but it is real I can assure you.
I will get to Victoria Park some day and walk with the ghosts of our past but I dare say it won't be the same.
so I thank every one of you for giving me a "feel" of the place, and if you have any more stories, I would ask if you could continue to share them, I for one really appreciate any time taken to post them.
Thanks from the bottom of my Black'n'White ticker.
Steve.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:59 pm

Cooldewd did u go to Northcote High?
cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:55 pm

Psychosis wrote:
Cooldewd did u go to Northcote High?

No mate.

Fawkner High.

A school that had 50% Collingwood supporters and %50 Carrrrrrlton supporters.

Why is that mate?

The Dude

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr
LeonSkyDiamonds Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:33 pm

i was reading the Herald Sun and come across the statistics for Carlton at Princes Park.Their record was 960 games for 672 wins,273 losses and 15 draws.Can someone please tell me our record at Vic Park as i reckon it would be very similar if not slightly better than Carlton's.For the record,Carlton had an exact winning percentage of 70.I'd estimate Collingwood's winning percentage at Vic Park as being approximately 71-72%.Can anyone help me with this information?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:42 pm

Collingwoods winning percentage at Vic Park was easily the best of any club.

The Dude

P.S. I will see if I can dig up the stats.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Now that i think about it,i believe our winning % was ap-prox 77.I've got lots of Collingwood books so i think i'll have to get the duster out rather than being lazy.I'll have a look in the Collingwood Encyclopedia that i purchased from the club about 3 months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:10 pm

In the Official Collingwood Encyclopedia i couldn't find the exact numbers but a paragraph on Vic Park says 'The Magpies won 75 % of their 910 games at Victoria Park,with this remarkable string of successes coming about with the assistance of the most vocal,passionate and feared army of supporters in the game'.Bloody grouse book,this is.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:23 pm

I think the exact figures (and a club by club breakdown) are in the book Collingwood at Vic Park, which i have somewhere at home, but more than likely will be unable to locate it.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:29 pm

An accumulation of memories of the ritual as a kid:

Get there before 11am so I can run to get a seat on the one row around the fence on the outer side. Get a good spot on the flank at the scoreboard end. Reserve my spot and go to the donut van and get some of those yellow jam donuts. Spill hot jam down my Collingwood jumper. Lick the jam off – never can get ot all off. Oh well, mum will wash it for next week – if I don’t wear it to school after we beat my best mates team later that day that is. If I am lucky no hot jam burns my chin this week.

Have a kick in the empty standing room area until the reserves get underway. Watch the first Q of the magoos. Run on at 1/4 time and listen to Ron Richards address the players. Barry Price and Wayne Richardson are finishing out their careers as leaders of the reserves. Richardson is captain. Price is wearing no. 32 I think.

Watch the 2nd Q. Kick to kick at 1/2 time. Watch the 3rd Q. Run out and have a kick on the ground and a listen to Ron Richards at 3/4 time. Stay on too long having a kick on the way back and get told off by some lamearsed ground attendant. Watch the last 1/4 of the ressies and wonder why Price and Richardson don’t play in the seniors as the building crowd gets behind the Pies running home with a wet sail.

Fight through the now full crowd to get a pie and a Coke before the main game.

The players run out and the crowd roars. We take marks, kick goals and we win. Along the way a few big clashes 2 feet in front of me and I get to see Rick Barham break a land speed record while bouncing the ball and heading for home. I can hear a Stan the Man bump and I can almost hear the wind whistle as Billy Picken flies and takes a screamer. Deep in last Q Wortho takes a strong mark on the goal line and the fans behind him in the Sherrin stand rise as one.

Did I mention we win?

Get home in time to watch the last Q replay with Peter Landy. Is that me in the background? Yeh, that was when Billy took that mark and I jumped and cheered. “Hey mum, that’s me!”
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:41 pm

Didakand JCloke named for Crow and Rowe. Just announced on SEN. Couldn't get what they said about Clement.

EDIT: Oops wrong thread. Embarassed

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:54 pm

Lots of football memories, but a culinary one also stands out. I had the best pie I ever ate at Vic Park. Perfect crust, crispy on outside to give structural strength, but soft and moist on the bite thru. Filling was perfect eating temp, not too hot, not cold, just right, and sans grissle. mmmmmmmmmmmm
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:11 pm

London Dave wrote:
I had the best pie I ever ate at Vic Park. Perfect crust, crispy on outside to give structural strength, but soft and moist on the bite thru. Filling was perfect eating temp, not too hot, not cold, just right, and sans grissle. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Yep, sometimes you just fluke one that's in "the zone". Ah, the reminiscing... Crying or Very sad

Dyso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: