Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home DIY, Art & Craft, making stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So follow up from yesterday, today's job was to run a coax connection from the ariel to the front lounge, under the house.

Step 1, pulled the Foxtel cable plug off the wall out ther back and cut the cable off, planning to repurpose the whole in the floor. Then got under the house to start threading the new coax and had a minor inspiration. Why don't I just repurpose the coax that already runs under the house that they used when I got the foxtel box out the back for mum. It's already there, I just have to cut it at the front end. Fkn idiot, could have thought of that before cutting the connection out the back.

So quick trip back to Bunnings for some more pieces, re-used the Foxtel plug back where it was and using a 3 way adapter connected it to the ariel along with mums TV, then up the front just fit a new plug to the bit of coax poking up through the floor, retune the terrestrial channels in the Foxtel box and fkn bingo, job done, works like a bought one. Very Happy

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Put a clear coat over the Toc Hallway, finally.

Spent an hour in prep, used the multi tool to remove the last remnants of the old masonite (whoever laid that was OTT ) then pulled out the last remaining staples, swept up the mess then vacuumed it to make sure then first coat.

Wait 3 hours, so do some weeding in the garden, then second coat.

Came up really well. Very Happy

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:29 am

Just installed the last sash after a little timber tweak by my chippy mate yesterday.
Now, continue painting the beads before fitting, all 30 metres of it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm

gees guys youve been busy!!!! good job!

i have been ripping out the old english garden down the side of the farm house to build a dog run. Beau ran through there last week and got all these bits in his fur, i hate to give him a complete haircut! so i slashed it big time!! too much maintenance, clearly some english people have too much time on their hands! i used round up on some weeds, and then i went stuff it and walked down the side of the front paddock, spraying the fence line, and then back the other way so i have a nice bald patch because you just cant get that close with the mower, and im not whipper snipping it all every week!i hated round up, i love round up!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:05 pm

I love Roundup, dunno if I'd be pulling the garden out though, dogs will learn won't they?
partypie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:14 pm

I’ve been busy too. Got fed up with the hideous 50s Lino in our old ruin on our block and gently scraped a few tiles up then my partner got enthusiastic and used a flat ended spade. Underneath is jarrah floorboards. Only took an hour or two, but removing a small patch of sticky glue took a couple of days!
We will probably build a new house eventually but it’s not worth considering for a couple of years due to the shortage of materials so in the meantime Iim fixing up what I can as I enjoy staying out there it’s so peaceful.
partypie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:15 pm

I’ve been busy too. Got fed up with the hideous 50s Lino in our old ruin on our block and gently scraped a few tiles up then my partner got enthusiastic and used a flat ended spade. Underneath is jarrah floorboards. Only took an hour or two, but removing a small patch of sticky glue took a couple of days!
We will probably build a new house eventually but it’s not worth considering for a couple of years due to the shortage of materials so in the meantime Iim fixing up what I can as I enjoy staying out there it’s so peaceful.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I love Roundup, dunno if I'd be pulling the garden out though, dogs will learn won't they?
nope poodles are very intelligent in some ways, but not all!

besides, its just overgrown and im still snake wary! eventually its all going, and we will have a nice indigenous aussie garden that is extremely low maintenance!! i can always go visit other gardens for a flower fix! i left a few plants, but it was chaos! now its neat and tide and pretty! still chaos where it overlooks the creek! really we bought the land, with the convenience of facilities while we build what we want! gotta keep hubby busy!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:53 pm

partypie wrote:

thats a score and a half! amazing how many old houses have gorgeous wood floor buried!
our floors are getting professionally done right now in our 14 year old house in altona, if your doing it yourself you can hire a floor sander from bunning quite cheap. ours are going back to bare wood or hubby would have done it himself.

our plan is to build a big shed first, then knock all the rambling sheds and shacks down and build the house there, as the garage has the best view! bloody crazy! but it means we can comfortably live in the little house while we owner build. the floor is laquered cork, its so bad, so so so so bad! the carpet in the bedrooms is farly new and a nice grey, the bathroom is new, if boring! the kitchen is the stuff of cheap wood nightmares! but it will do!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:15 pm

partypie wrote:

Only glue? Lucky boy. The Lino in my kitchen and hallway was glued to masoniite sheets which had been stapled to the pine floorboards. When I say staples, I mean inch long mofos and the dick who put them in was extremely enthusiastic. Cnut to get out, each one, individually, locking pliars, grab, lock and roll. bastard of a job.

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:41 pm

Yeah there were staples too but. Not as bad as yours. The glue was a bastard and finally I tried eucalyptus oil which worked well
partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:46 pm

TP the best spot on our block for a new house has crappy edifices on it too, we will be limited by Rocks. We have a lot of rocks
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:24 pm

Beautiful day, loving the warm weather, decided to clean the gutter on the shed which had weeds a foot high growing in it.

First challenge, roots have gone through the whole thing and pulling hard at it while standing on a ladder 3m in the air isn't that smart. So I grabbed a little weeding tool, designed to dig in and lever them out. Broke the handle.

Went down to the shed, took the handle off a deck oiler and whacked it in, covered with a couple of layers of gaffer tape. That won't hold. Grabbed a couple of skinny metal joint fixings and using my Grandads blacksmith vice as an anvil, reshaped them then taped them to the shaft to strengthen the join. Worked like a bought one. Smile 1M handle instead of 15cm meant a lot more leverage and did the job in half the time.

After mowing the lawns, chilled by watering the front yard, 2 can job.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:20 pm

I've spent the past few days cleaning up the spare bedroom to make it suitable for the Grandson when he comes over/stays over.

Got rid of the double bed and a bunch of junk.

Repainted the whole room. I'd painted it 2 tones of pink for my daughter 20 years ago, then my son was using it 10 years ago and repainted half the room, spilling more paint on the floor than he got on the walls.

So finished painted today and got the orbital sander out to strip back the floorboards and get rid of the paint. vacuum and mop to get rid of all the dust, then coat of clear oil based coat.

That will dry over night, going to Toc for a few days Monday, when I get back I'll pull the frame of my daughters old Study Bunk out of the shed and assemble it in the room. Very Happy

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:44 am

Repaired ne of our shade sails on Friday.

About 12 years ago had custom made shades done.
We have a large L shaped deck at the back, so needed custom sizes.
Put them up in the summer and take them down during winter.

The larger of the 2 ripped apart in a storm 2 years ago, so we replaced it with a cheaper version from Bunnings which is OK but doesn't cover exactly the same space and lesser quality.

The smaller one is still OK but stitching had come apart at both sides. Over time stitching had degraded due to sun & rain and a couple of windy days had pulled the seams apart. Sail held together as there is a length of material - same as car seat belts - sown into each edge.

Hubby wanted to chuck it out and get another Bunnings one but we decided to repair it.

Basically like hemming a dress. Fold over the sail material over the seat belt stuff, pin in place and sew it up. Used fishing line with large needles as it worked better than anything else. Slow work and took a couple of hours - felt like we should have been singing sea shantys while doing it - but now it is back up you can't tell the difference. Hopefully we will get a few more years out of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: