Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rugby players refuse to wear team’s pride guernsey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t judge them and I don’t think most people would either. AFLW is chalk and cheese, really: a far lower profile league with none of the macho hetero male culture of male football clubs and, if anything, almost an assumption of homosexuality until proven otherwise.

To be honest, it does astonish me somewhat that, in 2022, it’s still so taboo in men’s football, and I would be surprised if a gay player who came out received anything other than support and acceptance from their teammates, opponents, club apparatus and football media (sure, there’d be abuse from troglodytes in the crowd and on social media, but that’s sadly unavoidable). I guess being the first and all the media furore that would accompany it is the hardest step to take.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:11 am

David wrote:
I don’t judge them and I don’t think most people would either. AFLW is chalk and cheese, really: a far lower profile league with none of the macho hetero male culture of male football clubs and, if anything, almost an assumption of homosexuality until proven otherwise.

To be honest, it does astonish me somewhat that, in 2022, it’s still so taboo in men’s football, and I would be surprised if a gay player who came out received anything other than support and acceptance from their teammates, opponents, club apparatus and football media (sure, there’d be abuse from troglodytes in the crowd and on social media, but that’s sadly unavoidable). I guess being the first and all the media furore that would accompany it is the hardest step to take.

Not too sure about that. I reckon if other sections of the social media and some gutsy journos confronted the bigots and smashed their dumb views, the supporters of “live and let live” will come out in droves and break the taboos. I live in hope that people will have the human decency to accept, respect and embrace different lifestyles, cultures and personal choices while still having different views, like Collingwood fans don’t love Carlscum but always want them in the comp to beat them as many times as we can.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:29 am

Skids wrote:

This is the thing.

Do what you want to do, be what you want to be, make your own decisions. Therefore, why do we have to continually have to have the LGBTQIA agenda forced down everyone's throat?

It's not an 'agenda', which is a put down of people merely trying to gain equal rights and acceptance in practice. And stop playing dumb; no one believes it because anyone with half a brain knows that the work to reduce the violence, exclusion and suicide associated with the half-hearted 'tolerance' of fundamental rights is not a 'movement'; it's a serious work made necessary by the incontrovertible fact too many people think the right is optional and behave accordingly.

Tacitly, what you're saying by calling it an 'agenda' is this: "You should be thankful we tolerate you; just don't push it too far".

What is a core inherent right is still not universally honoured and could readily backslide. Just look at the effort of the anti-abortion fruit bats in America. Do you reckon they think the right to express one's sexuality is settled? Do you think Australia doesn't have mobs of the same crazies, or creeps willing to politicise it?

It's an ongoing correction of years of oppression. It's a right that is still fragile, and it demands everyone's embrace on a par with any other right, not mere 'tolerance'.

Why would anyone sneer at work to counter the violence and oppression of the LGBT community, or in fact people of any stripe? Because that's all the show of support is about and why such shows of support are needed. I'd just as quickly defend weirdo religions if they were at risk of mistreatment, and have done on many occasions despite themselves. But religion is not a free kick at someone else based on a set of alt rights and laws.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:19 am

I happened across this today. The self-serving way the Anglican Church worries about itself becoming a victim, not about actual victims, is stomach-churningly clueless:

Quote:
For the large majority of the Anglican Communion the traditional understanding of marriage is something that is understood, accepted and without question, not only by Bishops but their entire Church, and the societies in which they live. For them, to question this teaching is unthinkable, and in many countries would make the church a victim of derision, contempt and even attack. For many churches to change traditional teaching challenges their very existence.

https://anglican.ink/2022/08/02/justin-welbys-opening-statement-to-the-bishops-at-lambeth-2022-on-the-call-on-human-dignity/

WTF? The moral cover granted by the Church to violent bigots does exactly that for the LGBT community. Could they be more self-concerned and overtly anti-Christian? Even worse, if you read the background of the statement, it concerns many countries where members of the LGBT community are in mortal danger every day of their lives. What a horror show of moral confusion.

You can only shake your head in disbelief.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:50 am

pietillidie wrote:

Tacitly, what you're saying by calling it an 'agenda' is this: "You should be thankful we tolerate you; just don't push it too far".

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I just don't understand why there has to be the 'publicity' with; lights, rainbows, sports teams wearing coloured jumpers & dedicated rounds etc.
Just get on with your life and enjoy it, however you want to live it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:57 pm

I think we should probably also have a special round and jumper for people who masturbate themselves with heavy duty vacuum cleaners (that's a thing, too, apparently). We need to be more inclusive, surely?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Sponsored by Dyson or Hoover?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 am

i totally get why anyone would refuse to wear a rugby jumper!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:05 am

stui magpie wrote:
Sponsored by Dyson or Hoover?

Heppell, there you go essendrugs new sponsor, quite fitting for a bunch of wankers

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 am

Perfect for dirt bags 😆😛
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think we should probably also have a special round and jumper for people who masturbate themselves with heavy duty vacuum cleaners (that's a thing, too, apparently). We need to be more inclusive, surely?

Yuck 🤮

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 pm

^

Imagine trying to clean that, or worse, explain to the partner WTF happened. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: