Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickens finally coming home to roost for the Cuomos:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/30/cnn-suspends-chris-cuomo

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm

https://twitter.com/ACurrentAffair9/status/1465910925941440512

So they want to tell People Drugs are Okay to use

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 pm

I can just imagine the nuanced and sensitive manner in which ACA dealt with this topic. Laughing
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Sh!t......., how did they figure it out ? thought we got away with it...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/13/carltons-malthouse-appointment-was-definitely-the-wrong-decision-says-marc/

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Pi wrote:
Sh!t......., how did they figure it out ? thought we got away with it...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/13/carltons-malthouse-appointment-was-definitely-the-wrong-decision-says-marc/

Bugger, they sprung us. Laughing

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:22 pm

This actually makes considerable sense, though it needs to go further to implicate the similarly destructive narcissists who incite this group for self-serving ends including Trump, like-minded Republicans and the conservative media who play them like a violin. The lack of conscientiousness and discipline, and penchant for chaos has always been obvious. Now to expose the abusers who manipulate and profit off their psychiatric vulnerabilities.

Quote:
In newly published research, we found that it’s not conservatives in general who tend to promote false information, but rather a smaller subset of them who also share two psychological traits: low levels of conscientiousness and an appetite for chaos.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/01/14/we-found-the-one-group-of-americans-who-are-most-likely-to-spread-fake-news-526973

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:28 pm

Pretty happy with this, good outcome IMO

Quote:
The Aboriginal flag will be transferred to public hands for the first time, freeing its use for Indigenous community groups and sporting codes after the Australian government reached a historic deal with its creator to permanently acquire copyright more than 50 years after it was first flown.

The $20 million taxpayer-funded settlement will end a long-running legal controversy surrounding its use by allowing the ensign to be painted on sports grounds, used on apparel such as sports jerseys and shirts, on websites, in paintings and other artworks, digitally and in any other medium without having to ask for permission or pay a fee.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/free-for-all-copyright-for-aboriginal-flag-transferred-to-public-hands-in-20m-deal-20220124-p59qpb.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Can’t figure out whether this guy is a shameless grifter or just a very shrewd businessman:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-created-the-aboriginal-flag-as-a-symbol-of-unity-and-pride-20220124-p59qus.html

Quote:
Before assigning copyright, I created the authentic digital representation of the flag, which I have minted as a non-fungible token (NFT) on December 21, 2021, to commemorate the 50th year of the flag, acknowledging the potential of NFTs in the digital art world. I will hold the NFT on an ongoing basis, on behalf of Indigenous communities.

It is good news. But this is a great case in point of what a disaster copyright law has become. There have to be better ways for artists to be compensated for their work than allowing it to become an expensive, bureaucratic labyrinth that winds up requiring a $20 million government buyout.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm

I'd say "shameless grifter" is harsh.

He created the flag and owned the copyright on it. There was no issues until he licenced it to a company who then started to pursue people and organisations who used the flag without paying for it. eg, the AFL or NRL painting it on the playing field or putting it on playing strips for Indigenous recognition purposes.

As an artist I think he's entitled to profit from his work and it wasn't by plan or design that something he created became the symbolic flag of a people.

I think this is the best outcome, the Australian Government owns the copyright, he receives compensation and people are free to use it (respectfully) without payment.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:29 pm

I guess the perception some people have, rightly or wrongly, is he created something that ended up meaning a great deal to a lot of people as a symbol – but that to him (and the company he ended up licensing the flag to), became little more than a cash cow.

I totally understand taking pride in your work and making a buck if you're legally entitled to it, but there have been a lot of cultural/activist flags created around the world over the years, and my guess is that most of the designers (working solo or as a group) haven't thought to copyright them, because they see them as something to be shared freely among the community rather than exploited as a marketable commodity. (Of course I understand that this becomes a little more complicated when big corporations try to co-opt these symbols to promote themselves or to sell stuff.)

Anyway, it's probably unwise to cast aspersions on the artist from afar – suffice it to say that my bigger problem is with IP law, and that what's happened with the flag is at worst a symptom of that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:47 pm

I get where you're coming from, I'm not sure when he got copyright on the flag but he only licensed it out a few years ago so I don't begrudge a bloke who's lived in Humpty Doo trying to make a living as an artist for 40 years the chance to make a bit of coin in his twighlight years.

I mean, FFS Humpty Doo isn't exactly Toorak.

Rather than worry about IP, explain NFT's to me. I just don't get the concept.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 pm

Ignore the voice, just consider the argument:
Quote:
Property is where the nation’s wealth is stored, and there it stays – useless and unproductive. Who dares break the taboo on the sacred right of homeowners not to be taxed on their ballooning unearned property wealth?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/25/george-osbornes-help-to-buy-scheme-disaster-housing-market#comments

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:54 pm

I'm not clicking on that link. Do they consider Capital gains tax?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Rather than worry about IP, explain NFT's to me. I just don't get the concept.

My understanding of a Non-Fungible Token (NFT) is that it's a code embedded in an image (say, a .jpg file) that marks it as unique. Think of it like a real-life painting in the world of art collecting: anyone can own a copy of the artwork, but the "true" original is the one that's considered to have market value and can be sold for millions at an auction. So as you can imagine, based on that logic, there's a real fad at the moment for assigning these unique NFTs to various digital files (often poorly drawn images of cartoon apes, don't ask me why) and charging outrageous amounts of money for them. Basically, the artistic quality or fame of the "artwork" itself seems to not really matter all that much; whatever’s actually in the image, it’s an NFT that can be held onto or sold at a higher price, and thus – in the view of people who are into this stuff – inherently a valuable investment.

General views on it range from this being a revolutionary new form of currency (kind of along the lines of bitcoin, if you know anything about that – it uses the same technology) to it being an idiotic pyramid scheme that will be old news in six months. Critics have also pointed out the immense amount of computer energy required to create each single NFT, and the significant impact this may be having on the environment.

Here's one of the big stories from last year about an NFT that sold for $69 million – it may explain the concept better than I can:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/22325054/beeple-christies-nft-sale-cost-everydays-69-million

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:54 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not clicking on that link. Do they consider Capital gains tax?

She would be, as she is one of their chief policy writers, love or hate her. Her initial point was how the Help-to-Buy scheme (first home buyer equivalent) simply drove up house prices, thus failing as a policy.

Other people's view aside, you've got this ridiculously low-risk asset class soaring in value being pumped even higher at every other turn. In terms of opportunity cost, this means less government revenue (the difference between CGT and income tax, which is substantial), poorer people living in freezing hovels, and vast capital being parked in inflated, unproductive assets. It's a complete social and economic nonsense. If an asset is roughly rational and non-critical, fine. But that's not what we're dealing with here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 14 of 31   

Jump to: