Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
I'm very pleased with few things: withdrawal from Afghanistan; the reinstatement of environmental protections and carbon commitments; the pushback against dangerous religious quackery (e.g., anti-vax, anti-science, anti-abortion lunacy); and the G20 agreement on a global minimum tax. I'm sure there are more advances I can't recall off the top of my head. But those first four things dwarf everything else mentioned, don't they, dementia or not?

Yes, absolutely. Ironically, it seems to be the domestic stuff that they’re making a hash of – but in terms of the things that really matter to those of us outside America’s borders, the post-Trump trend seems to be somewhat positive (though not without downsides, e.g. China sabre-rattling, no re-engagement with Iran, continued pursuit of the Assange extradition and more).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:20 am

Agree, the withdrawal of Afghanistan was a good and necessary thing. Although, I don't think it was handled well but maybe the nature of the war meant it was always going to be a mess and the country would fall into Taliban hands inevitably.

The most pressing issue domestically is rising inflation. I suspect this is what is driving the decline in Biden's approval rating.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 am

^Yeah, inflation will worry people for some time yet (for reasons ranging from sensible caution to economic quackery). The good jobs report out today is likely what Biden's been banking on; it was always going to turn eventually with Covid adaptation despite vaxless uncertainty spreaders. That said, he needs two of those jobs reports in a row. The global recovery demand spike will keep inflation up for some time yet, but that's out of his hands. At least in the US it's not coupled with the supply chain suicide of Brexit.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:54 am

Looks like VPOTUS is a huge flop.

Now embroiled in a toxic work culture and mass exodus of staff.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Looks like VPOTUS is a huge flop.

Now embroiled in a toxic work culture and mass exodus of staff.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/kamala-harris-staff-exodus-raises-eyebrows-among-white-house-critics/news-story/b2697c8f580fc54dcf6334a23539be3b

The Democrats are in for a world of pain if Biden steps down before 2024 – and, let's face it, he probably has no choice to as the chances of him even surviving a second term probably aren't that high. The Harris coronation doesn't look like it's going to work out (which everyone really should have seen coming, considering how her primary campaign crashed and burned despite her superficially ticking all the boxes), and there are rumblings that empty vessel Pete Buttigieg might challenge her in 2024, which is going to set off a pretty ugly scramble. Regardless of whether or not that transpires, I reckon Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez should take the opportunity to make a move; she has a huge public profile already, can capture a substantial percentage of the young and progressive vote, will be able to capitalise on any disappointment from people who were hoping that Harris would be the first female president, and might even sway a large number of older voters keen to see fresh ideas – so there really is nothing to lose.

Whatever transpires, the party needs to grapple with this seriously because otherwise there's every chance that Trump or some even more odious Republican regains office in 2024.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:35 pm
Post subject: Re: The New Enlightenment: Biden & HarrisReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Congratulations to POTUS Joe Biden and VPOTUS Kamala Harris.

The darkness and dark ages removed may the Stars and Stripes shine brightly.

This thread aged quite badly didn't it. Expectations of a brighter future marred by a POTUS who isn't all there an a VP who doesn't know where there is.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

This thread aged quite badly didn't it. Expectations of a brighter future marred by a POTUS who isn't all there an a VP who doesn't know where there is.

Pretty much sums up the current state of affairs.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Given where America was 12 months ago when Trump and his crazies tried to burn the place down,I’d say that the country is miles better off than it was this time last year,
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:05 am

The latest polls would suggests that Americans disagree, citing concerns around the Democrats handling of the economy, inflation and handling of the border.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:13 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
The latest polls would suggests that Americans disagree, citing concerns around the Democrats handling of the economy, inflation and handling of the border.

The American economy’s actually doing well.5% + growth,unemployment down to 4.2% from 6.4% this time last year.5.9 million jobs created in the first ten months of the year.It’s only inflation that is a concern,and that is largely the product of an economy that’s rapidly growing after the pandemic and supply chain issues with factories around the world.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 pm

Plus without trump they can be taken a little seriously again!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Yeah, their economic recovery is technically going very well, and Biden has delivered on major bills and of course withdrawn from the utter historical disaster of Afghanistan, rejoined the world on emissions, and tried to make strides on Covid in the land of the anti-science loon and Christian Taliban nutcase.

But the culture is too far gone. Giant swathes are not satisfied unless they're asserting themselves by wrecking something, and preferably shooting it. Progress is viewed as effeminate; science as a threat; social quality as a personal tax; anyone else's gain as my loss; and violence as the one unassailable right. Antisocial personality disorder writ large.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm

I know criticising Republicans is like shooting fish in a barrel, but I was amused by the unintentional juxtaposition offered by one prominent Trump supporter in a video I was watching the other day in which she said she supported Trump’s "America First" agenda but then seconds later said she would leave and take her business to another country if taxes were raised to a degree that she considered unfair. Total ideological incoherence.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:06 am

Remember all that gleeful talk about rival power block Europe breaking apart and globalisation retreating? American projection, if ever there was. Trump veneration, gunphilia, abortion proscription, ongoing healthcare insecurity, anti-science religious quackery, and so on, would completely creep out the average person from most Western societies, if not most high-income countries. It makes you wonder if the jump in secessionist sentiment has serious underpinnings.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 pm

President Joe Biden on Wednesday called former President Donald Trump's Make America Great Again movement "the most extreme political organization in American history."

What an idiot. I don't know who is the biggest idiot in the US, Biden or George Gascon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 8 of 34   

Jump to: