Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Working from home

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:16 am
Post subject: Working from homeReply with quote

<split from Biden and Harris thread>

pietillidie wrote:
^Yeah, inflation will worry people for some time yet (for reasons ranging from sensible caution to economic quackery). The good jobs report out today is likely what Biden's been banking on; it was always going to turn eventually with Covid adaptation despite vaxless uncertainty spreaders. That said, he needs two of those jobs reports in a row. The global recovery demand spike will keep inflation up for some time yet, but that's out of his hands. At least in the US it's not coupled with the supply chain suicide of Brexit.

What about the mass resignations of people who don't want to return to the office?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

dont give em welfare!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
What about the mass resignations of people who don't want to return to the office?

The so-called Great Resignation? It's no doubt a mix of things.

Some sectors have mad demand, so people feel confident taking a break and telling companies with sub-par offers to shove it. In some cases that demand will be sustained (e.g., tech, healthcare), while in other cases it's a result of the pandemic recovery causing a spike in demand and price rises (e.g., logistics/delivery). The latter group might get even get a year or two out of it until supply catches up. The former group are simply in the right fields regardless of what happens, especially given the lack of urgency from others to skill up.

Some have despised their job and treatment forever and don't want to go back, having worked from home. Others feel more discriminated against or subject to dysfunctional office politics work in a physical office, something which is harder for people to get away with remotely because of the email trail. They're probably trying to find ways to keep working from home or to work for themselves. If they're not highly skilled, they might end up in gig work, which is rising all the time. New company starts are also high from memory, which makes sense.

Some have probably scaled down and moved in with family, wondering what to do or where things are heading. Young people knowing they will never own a home definitely hasn't helped. The social trends and cost of living are such there's no social pressure on this front anymore.

Interest rates are low, so some will be living off that.

Some are exhausted because mainstream social participation has become so demanding (work, family, health, personal development, career development, making enough to live an average sort of life, and so on), they might be stepping away for a while.

There might also be a generation thing happening with older workers getting pushed out of the workforce or retiring early/partly/temporarily. Plenty of that generation have equity in their home to work with.

A hell of a lot of people have got 'long Covid' or are still deterred by the risk of getting Covid (for the first time or again). Others have illnesses or take medication that make Covid an ongoing health risk. Then there are the people caring for those people and living cautiously in their bubble. This could be a much larger group than advertised. Add mental health problems to that and a backlog of treatment deficits due to Covid, and the morbidity can't help.

Put these sorts of reasons together and they could add up to a noticeable trend. The risk is that productivity was rubbish before Covid, so if people withdraw or their skills decline that will make us all worse off.

There's so much irresponsibility from government and big business people aren't worried enough or are perhaps beyond caring. If a Boris Johnson can't even wear a mask at a major international event after having almost been killed by Covid, and trillionaire twats can fly to space even as their obscene wealth soars and they avoid paying taxes, then nothing can be taken seriously. Not inflation. Not the supply crunch. Not Putin and friends driving up energy prices while the world is vulnerable. Not government revenues. Not the longstanding productivity problem. Not the permanent underclass. Not the seeming impossibility of getting people to skill up. Nothing.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:08 pm

think positive wrote:
dont give em welfare!

Pretty sure they don't in the USA.

And Thanks Ptiddy. My view is people have proved they can work from home effectively, many have moved away from the city, and while plenty miss the social interaction of working in an office, not many want to do the commute anymore.

I read somewhere that New York was suffering from the absence of office workers

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:19 pm

^For sure on the commute. What a waste of existence. I do feel for extroverts and young socials, but they will adapt by using cafes and work spaces close to home, or by going out close to home more to meet friends. Plenty missing the office will be missing the chance to lord it over people, manipulate office politics and do vanity laps in their latest outfit. Having a luxury car, modest commute and guaranteed parking space no doubt helps, too.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:21 pm

I like the idea of a hybrid working model going forward (i.e. 3 days in the office and 2 days at home or vice-versa).

The working from home model has its benefits and downsides. Loved not having to commute every day which was a bonus, but I did miss the human interaction among colleagues.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:57 pm

^Yeah, that's a happy medium for many people. The key is having an option for those who work better at home, have conditions better suited to home, have kids or are carers, have bad commutes, etc.

At the same time, home is an unsuitable place for some people to work, so again options are key.

Question for you: Would you enjoy working in a local workspace close to home and the gym etc. where other people from different companies were doing the same? You still get professional social interaction and get out of the house, but the company doesn't need to rent a major commercial space, instead paying for a hot desk. Of course workspaces were already growing, but I can see more formal corporate options with secure networks etc. really taking off after Covid.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:48 am

My current employer has vacated the head office in Richmond, let the lease run out, and the new one isn't finished being fitted out yet so everyone remains working from home.

The new one will only hold about 50% of the staff and is being configured as mainly a collaboration space with meeting rooms and a limited number of work stations. The intent is to continue a hybrid working model into the future with people only going to the office 2-3 days per week.

The closest office to me is 10 minutes away off peak, 30 minutes in peak traffic. So as we go in, I'll be able to work from home in the mornings, drive there after peak around 9:30-10, work til 3-3:30 and go home before afternoon peak and finish the day working from home.
Perfect compromise.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 pm

^Sounds perfect.

Peak hour has finally had its day. It makes you realise how much unnecessary burden people have endured for no good purpose for years now. Even the small things, like getting dry cleaning done or ironing gear for pickier workplaces. Screw all that for a laugh.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:02 pm

^
I'm going to a regional office tomorrow, I'm dreading having to wear proper shoes and socks. Sad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:21 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Sounds perfect.

Peak hour has finally had its day. It makes you realise how much unnecessary burden people have endured for no good purpose for years now. Even the small things, like getting dry cleaning done or ironing gear for pickier workplaces. Screw all that for a laugh.

The peak hour traffic is heaps better, the sky still seems cleaner but the Yarra still looks like mud! My older sister has chosen to retire, she didn’t miss tthe 1.5 hour drive each way, and decided it’s time. She’s an accountant she can pick up jobs from home, she’s 60 next week! My oldest has the choice, her office is in south Melbourne, she lives near me and has set up an office at home, she only goes in occasionally. So much cheaper, less on clothes, transport, fuel, and then the time saved.

Just as long as people still make time to get out and about and don’t become hermits. I’ve worked from home for about 6 years, but my hours are now greatly reduced, (I’m including child care here!) and I have the ability to expand my hobby, which has totally saved my sanity!

I went to highpoint yesterday at lunchtime, this time ofuearitshould be packed to the rafters, but there was at least a couple of hundred car spots vacant in the lots I drove past. People shopping from home! First time I’ve actually enjoyed Christmas shopping.

If we do this right , life can be much improved on many levels.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:14 pm

think positive wrote:
If we do this right , life can be much improved on many levels.

Absolutely.

I submitted my resignation today, something I haven't done for 35 years.

My amended contract where i am was due to finish in Feb. I wasn't looking for another job yet, happy to play it by ear, but one came calling.

earlier in the year I had to liaise with another agency who had staff along with ours in a government run multi agency support setup. I got along well with the HR Director there, and we kept in touch sharing details on our approaches to the mandatory vaccine orders and other things. That turned into a job offer.

15 minutes from home, 4 day week (2 of those from home) and similar money to what I'm getting now. (just negotiating that)

Finish up where I am on Christmas eve, paid through til early Jan and start the new role in mid Jan.

As far as Kamala harris and Biden go, I'm just going to leave that alone. US Politics is rapidly becoming a Benny Hill skit.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 am

That's absolutely perfect. Well done on building the professional kudos with partner orgs, too. Even though you're chilled about these things, that sets you up for a nice Christmas/new year.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I submitted my resignation today, something I haven't done for 35 years.
My amended contract where i am was due to finish in Feb. I wasn't looking for another job yet, happy to play it by ear, but one came calling.
earlier in the year I had to liaise with another agency who had staff along with ours in a government run multi agency support setup. I got along well with the HR Director there, and we kept in touch sharing details on our approaches to the mandatory vaccine orders and other things. That turned into a job offer.
Finish up where I am on Christmas eve, paid through til early Jan and start the new role in mid Jan

Hearty congratulations to you on getting the job. However generally speaking (not relating specifically to your case), has offering someone a job replaced the “old” method of interviewing applicants and offering the job to the person who complied with the key areas and interviewed best out of all? Are job interviews considered a waste of time for a selection process? Also are personal referees still sought to enlighten the interview panel on your level of integrity, expertise and merit?
I was a notoriously bad interviewee due to anxiety and nervousness but knew that if I applied for a job, it was one I would confidently perform well in. However I missed out a few times due to my anxiety at interviews.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:08 pm

^

Thanks mate (and Ptiddy).

"offering" a job hasn't replaced the normal recruitment process, but sometimes people get "head hunted" for roles.

In this case, there was no advertisement, I had a discussion (so quasi interview) with the director, a reference check was done with my current manager, I submitted a resume and the CEO had to sign off on my salary and hours.

I hear where you're coming from, I don't interview that well either. I'm too laconic and don't talk myself up enough for some. This time I had established some credibility with the HRD by working with them on a joint matter, my last 2 jobs I was also a known quantity by the hiring manager and initial short term contracts were extended once I showed what I could do (without blowing sunshine up my own back passage)

My suggestion would be to get on Linkedin and connect with people you've worked with before. Some of them may now be hiring managers who know what you bring to the table. Happy to chat via PM or whatever.

Mods, sorry if I'm polluting this thread, It started as somewhat relevant when we were discussing working from home but if you want to move posts to the happy thread I won't have a problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: