Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The greatest individual performance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:18 pm
Post subject: The greatest individual performanceReply with quote

After the success of the LOUDEST ROAR thread, I thought I would kick off another one that should prevoke some debate and rekindle some great memories.

What is the greatest individual performance you have ever seen a Collingwood player produce.

Was it Licca's 40 possessions on enemy territory playing on Josh Francou in the 2002 QF?

Was it Peter Moores stupendous Elimination Final performance demolishing Gary Dempsey in a BOG display in 1980?

Maybe Phil Carmans 11 majestic goals against St Kilda at Moorabbin in 1975 grabs your imagination?

Possibly John Greenings 6 goals ruck roving against Carlton at Princess Park 1969 does it for you? (MG's favourite!)

How about Ron Todds 11 goal hauls in two consecutive preliminary finals in the late 1930's? (You would have to be an old timer to have seen these gems)

Who could blame you if you were inspired by any number of Nathan Buckley's 35+ possession games?

What is the greatest individual performance I have ever seen?

That is easy.

I know, I know, I go on about Peter Daicos way too much, but this one particular performance is rarely talked about strangely enough, but it was pure Daicos magic and it is worth retelling here.

It was 1982....and much like this year, we were inexplicably near the bottom of the ladder after a sustained period near the top.

It was a bleak winter with Collingwood getting beaten week after week and the club blowing its brains out with Hafey being sacked and eventually the Hickey administration toppling.

There was one bright spark through all this carnage - the precocious talents of Peter Daicos. After kicking 76 goals as a half forward in 1981, in 1982 Daicos started spending some time on ball playing as a centre man.

The scene for this magic memory was at Arden Street versus glamour team North Melbourne.

With Ross Glendenning on fire at CHB, North were simply killing us in the first half.

To this day I have no idea what was said to Daicos at half time or how or where this burst came from, but Daicos launched a one man demolition of North.

Sharking the ball from the centre hit outs, Daicos simply by passed the forward line.....instead of kicking into 50, the Marvel simply waltzed past a sea of North players like they weren't even there and kicked a long running goal.

We had seen nothing yet.

He did it again.

Then again.

Then another.....

....and another....

....and another.....

....and one more for good measure!

Daicos' one man uprising netted the great man 7 inspired goals for the quarter!

Collingwood kicked 9 goals for the quarter to take a small lead at 3/4 time - Allan Edwards kicked the other two majors.

Daicos was unstoppable and it seemed as if nobody could tackle him. He wasn't fast....he simply had this aura around him that acted like a force field....nobody could lay a hand on him.

As all the goals eminated from about 40-50 metres out on the run directly out of the centre, none of them were angle goals from the boundary for which Daicos was famous for and it is for this reason that perhaps this seems to be a forgotten Daicos gem that is rarely if ever discussed by fans.

For the old football purists Daicos mastery that day was incomparable.

Such was the inexorable nature of Daicos' juggernaut that in one amazing incident Daicos was streaming out of the centre and drilled a handball towards a teammate....but field umpire Vas Vasilou was unable to get out of the way and the ball struck the back of umpire Vasilou as he sought evasive action. The ball remarkably bounced perfectly off Vasilou with perfect trajectory for Daicos to take the rebound without breaking stride as if he recieved a perfect one-two handball from a teammate and Daicos strode to 55 metres and casually roosted through the goal!

Sadly, with Mark Weidmann snapping his wrist at the start of the last quarter and being forced from the field after playing admirably at CHF on Glendenning, the North champion now took charge and North steadied to run out winners by 15 points.

However, the performance of Daicos in the third quarter is the most sustained brilliance and dominance I have witnessed in my life.

Daicos was to have many amazing days and on bigger stages than Arden Street....but nobody could touch him this day.

To me, this was the greatest performance I have ever seen from a Collingwod player.

Over to you guys for your memories!

The Dude

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley with 46 touches in round 2 2001. Or maybe round 15 of 1997 with 40 touches in his 100th game? Or even round 15 1996 when he kept Carey quiet? Or maybe when... OK, I'm getting carryed away! LOL!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:40 pm

Perhaps. Later.
maggies2003 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:20 am

cant beat johnnos tackle against a burgoyne in the 2002 prelim which won us the game..
Canberra Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:29 am

Dewd,I was fortunate enough to be there for the Moore,Carman,Greening and Daicos performances. One of the best individual performances I saw was Len Thompson picking up over 30 hitouts and 25 possessions the year he won the Brownlow. All those performances were gems to be cherished. The standout would be Carman because he turned a game around that appeared to be lost with an incredible last quarter. Contrary to popular opinion,I wasn't around to see Ron Todd play.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:39 am

Tony Shaws 25m torp at waverly against stkilda in 1989

Last edited by BBHS on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Fatui Ataata Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:45 am
Post subject: Todd in awesome finals display, againReply with quote

Vic & Canberra, I can help you with one of those Todd gems from my secret vault;

Preliminary Final 1939

Collingwood 6.1.37 11.6.72 14.11.95 20.14.134
St Kilda 6.4.40 9.7.61 13.9.87 15.15.105

VENUE: MCG DATE: Saturday 23 September, 1938
CROWD: 66,484 UMPIRE: Blackburn

BEST
COLLINGWOOD – Todd, Campbell, Doherty, Regan, Williams
ST KILDA – Lowry, Garvin, Vontom, Killegrew, Mohr, Rayment, Hoppen

GOALS:
COLLINGWOOD – Todd 11, Doherty 4, Fothergill 3, Knight, Kyne
ST KILDA – Mohr 4, Regnier, Vontom 3, Weiss, Killigrew, Fountain, Kelly, Garvin

PRE-MATCH:
The Magpies lost just three games during the 1939 regular season to finish on top of the ladder. The team posted a club record equaling 13 scores over 100 points and Ron Todd was taking all before him with 97 goals entering the finals. All these grand achievements were to be put into perspective with war declared in Europe and Germany inflicting devastation on neighboring nations. With an inevitable dark cloud of war once again enveloping the world, people still flocked to the football – perhaps still in denial of what may follow.

Of Collingwood’s three losses, a worrying factor was the 94 point Round 10 hiding by their semifinal opponent Melbourne. Though Collingwood fought the good fight and in fact lead into the third term, the ‘Red Demons’ proved too strong and won by 14 points. This consigned the ‘Pies to a Preliminary Final showdown against St Kilda who was also one of just three teams to have the better of Collingwood that year, comfortably winning their first encounter by six goals. At least the Woods managed to turn that result around at home, but it did set up a tantalizing finals clash to decide who would face the powerful Melbourne for the Flag.

THE GAME:
Collingwood got the perfect start when Todd goaled a minute after the first bounce. After a few sorties forward, Weiss broke through for the Saints’ first. Hocking and Regan worked overtime in defence and managed to hold strong. Todd, making use of his reach advantage over his opponent Riordan, booted two more and Doherty one, to give the Woods the break. Then, in what was to be a sign of the fluctuating fortunes of the game, St Kilda launched a blitz, inspired by Garvin’s ruckwork. Having scored 5.4 without answer, St Kilda now lead by 10 points. The football was fast and exciting. Knight made amends for his costly premature jumping in the ruck by crashing through a pack and stemming the Saint’s flow with a goal. A one handed mark by Harry Collier which resulted in a Fothergill goal reduced the margin to three points at the first change of ends.

Harry Collier saw the Magpies off to a good start in the second term with clever roving that enabled Kyne to convert. ‘Leeter’ Collier cleaned up Vontom which had the effect of taking the Saints’ focus off the ball. They soon regained composure however, Kelly goaling from the pocket followed by Vontom and Mohr. Woods and Hocking succeeded in colliding with eachother twice in their attempts to clear the ball. Symptomatic of the match, the ‘Pies then proceeded to reverse the trend with goals via Doherty, Fothergill, Doherty again and Todd to acquire an 11 point lead at half time. Players were tearing into packs with reckless abandon, the nature of the contest now showing signs of favouring Collingwood.

Not surprisingly, the pace slackened in the third term as players showed signs of tiring. Garvin, Lowry, Vontom and Snell tried to get St Kilda back in the contest but the goal for goal deadlock was broken by Todd, who claimed Hoppen for holding the ball. Collier, Woods and Knight missed gettable opportunities to set the Magpies up and the ‘Seasiders’ took advantage of Collingwood and the umpire’s charity with Vontom converting from a free. When Mohr goaled again, it was anybody’s final. The one constant for the Magpies was the form of Todd, and he managed to score every time it was really needed. His sixth, just before three quarter time, put the Woodsmen eight points clear.

St Kilda threatened to seize the game in the early stages of the last, after a couple misses Garvin leveled the scores after marking Regan’s kick-in. Lowry was on top of Whelan in the centre and Vontom put the Saints ahead after a poster. This was the cue for the hero of the day, Ron Todd, to again exert his influence. Swooping on the ball after Lowry had kicked into the man on the mark, Todd goaled to regain the lead and with his teammates lifting all over the field, kicked three more in quick succession. The gallant Saints didn’t throw in the towel but inaccuracy stymied their best efforts. Todd booted his eleventh and Doherty his fourth to see the ‘Pies home by what looked to be a comfortable 29 point margin, although it was anything but comfortable in its execution.

AFTERMATCH:
This was a classic game between two sides desperate to win through to the Grand Final. In the end, Collingwood could thank Todd and its greater experience and composure under pressure when the game had to be won. Collingwood’s forward line had been prolific all year, and this game was no exception.

POSTSCRIPT:
Frank ‘Checker’ Hughes awaited the nemesis from his Richmond days, Jock McHale. This time his team, now Melbourne, held the right cards. Collingwood fought bravely in the Grand Final, down by just four points at half time and 17 at the last change. After the fast and furious Preliminary Final, the Magpies were always going to struggle to run out the game, and the Demon’s fresh legs proved crucial. In their 2nd Semi Final the Dees came home with 10 goals to five in the second half, in the big one they kicked 11 to four in the second half to win by a convincing 53 points. That Collingwood was down to 16 men in the last quarter certainly didn’t help, but Hughes’ hatred of McHale and the Magpies would afford little compassion.

The only solace for the Magpies was Marcus Whelan’s Brownlow Medal. This was a sad end of an era for the Magpies, the three lost Grand Finals in a row were inglorious enough, the controversial loss of Todd to Williamstown incomprehensible. After the largely successful season, who would have thought this would be McHale’s last Grand Final as coach and that the legendary Collier brothers would be shown the door? The real tragedy to befall everyone however was the onset of the Second World War. In football terms, the show went on, but for Collingwood it was to be a battling period of which it had never experienced before.

THE HERO:
Ron Todd (Collingwood)
Todd played just 76 games and kicked 327 goals for the Magpies from 1935-39. Initially he was the apprentice to Coventry but it wasn’t long before he proved that he was his equal. Steeped in Magpie traditions, his father was a close friend of Dick Lee and Todd naturally idolized him, wearing his jumper as a child. For Todd to leave The Club would have been an agonising decision however the promise of financial security that wasn’t available at Collingwood was too great a lure for the Railways worker. By the time Collingwood tried to lure him back, with the help of John Wren, Todd had already accepted the Seagulls’ offer. On the back of seasons netting 120 and 121 goals, he was gone at just 22 years of age. A botched attempt by a divided Collingwood administration to get him back in 1944 proved costly as the team finished third in 1945-46 and 1948 with no recognized full forward. What could have been is a depressing thought, for Todd had the capacity to do anything. An amazing 188 goals in 1945 for Williamstown an example of his incredible ability. Still, he went out with a bang, 23 goals in the three finals of 1939 including 11.4 in the Preliminary and six in the Grand Final. In his two full seasons at full forward he averaged six goals a game. It wasn’t just the numbers though, his brilliant high marking and all round skill will forever be a part of football folklore.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:23 am

great post fatui

www.facebook/the hybernators
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Great work Fatui Ataata. Reckon we could use that on Nicks Collingwood Page?

www.magpies.net/nick/ ?
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:50 pm

I don't recall much of Greening playing directly. I remember his comeback and that was special but short lived. Almost frightening to imagine how good he could have been. I wonder if we would have missed Carman in 1977 had Greening still been running around.

One single effort that has always stuck with me is the Daicos goal where he ran around Nankervis in a Prelim at Waverly and slotted a goal. For an entire game, in more recent years, it's hard to go past Licuria in the 2002 qualifying final against Port. Not the greatest game ever played by a long shot but in the context of where we had come from and what we were expected to do and the lack of regard Licuria was held in at the time it was an awsome finals defining effort for Collingwood. I doubt we would have won that game had he not played.

There are a few more spectaclar efforts from Daicos and Buckley and some great players before that. One that is overlooked is the game of Monkhurst in the 1990 grand final. Again not a super spectacular game but vital. His defeat of Madden gave us an advantage where they had greater numbers as well as taking Salmon, their only dangerous forward, away from the forward line. Monkey was where that game started and ended. I shudder when I think where our club would be now had we lost in 1990. Not exactly the greatest game but one of the most important and one which had a huge impact on a match and our club.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:44 pm

Tarrants after the siren goal against adelaide was pretty good.
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:45 pm

Peter Daicos 13 goals Vs the bears at Carrara 1991. Did it all from all angles and no-one could lay a hand on him that day also.

Daics' 7 goals Vs Carlton 1990 at Waverley.

Brian Taylors 6 goals in the 1st quarter Vs Fitzoy circa 88/89 to the yarra Falls end of Vic Park. Were wondering just how many he would get for the day - finished with 10.

Lica in 2002 Vs Port. Great performance when it mattered.

Heath Shepherd 5 goals on Debut at Vic Park

James Manson, 1985 or 86, Vs Hawthorn Vic Park, 5 goals (out of 8 or 9) to get the pies over by 10 or so points against the odds.

Daicos again in 1990. Kick 6 against Fitzroy at Princes Park including a booming Torp from nearly in the centre circle.

In fact Daicos' entire 1990 season - 97 goals from a small forward. 3.73 goals per game over 26 games.
raymond35 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:55 pm

- it should be noted that when BT kicked those 6 in the first quarter, as good as he was, i believe he was playing on Scott Clayton who had no idea what he was doing at full back.

-daicos did indeed murder Carlton that day in the wet at VFL Park, what a performance.

-I was only young , but what i remember as the best individual effort was Len Thompsons 1977 finals series, a sustained display of brilliant ruckwork against 2 opponents.

Nicko 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:37 pm

It's hard to go past Licuria's one-man midfield rampage against Port. Being at Footy Park for that game was an unbelievable experience, and Licuria dominated. He stood up to cover Buckley and hardly did a thing wrong with his 40 touches.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:57 pm

As usual unmentioned Scotty Burns demolishing melbourne on Queens Birthday 2003. The true workman of modern Collingwood. Couldn't happen to a nicer club than the demons.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: