Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade target 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Riccardi thanks.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Billings is 185cm (looks smaller I know) but has elite skills. has been paid "overs" vs output by the Saints and you get the feeling as they have regressed this season, they'll make some whipping boy trades and releases. Rumours of him being paid $750,000 currently are close to accurate and don't seeing the Saints or any club matching that. Would $600,000 x 4 years get it done? Seems reasonable given we paid Chris Mayne $500,000 X 4 years nearly 5 years ago. In the absence of other suitors, it may be within the ball park if St Kilda offer nothing.

So Billings would be middle ranged salary free agent unlike Kelly from GWS who'd need to get $1,000,000+ over 8 years. Out Cox and in Billings is essentially an offset and an upgrade on talent.

If Saints pay say 150K a year of his salary $600,000 x 4 years ought to get it done. St Kilda offloads the $600,000 off their salary cap and get a top 5-6 draft pick under FA rules. Win-win I think. We all complain about our kicking skills at Collingwood. Billings has it in spades. Most of other players mentioned here are outside our reach or don't meet our needs. Do we really want someone like Hannebery who St Kilda are stuck with? And we're never going to get somebody like Kelly from GWS. He'd come at about 900K a year.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:58 pm

How about we dont get anyone develop our own players and when we have climbed back up the ladder target a need
We did this in 2009 and 2010 turned out ok

Pissing money up on Billings for 4 years seems to be in the Mayne Wells Beams recruiting decisions

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:16 pm

neil wrote:
How about we dont get anyone develop our own players and when we have climbed back up the ladder target a need
We did this in 2009 and 2010 turned out ok

Pissing money up on Billings for 4 years seems to be in the Mayne Wells Beams recruiting decisions

We're still getting value out of Mayne. The other two were disasters. All for developing our own players. But if you have a deficiency as in a FF and you don't have anyone on the list who can fill that role, I don't why you shouldn't go outside the club to fill that role. Cameron will likely produce a premiership for Geelong this year as he frees up Hawkins and Rowan. Mihocek is struggling this year as he has no support.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:56 pm

Are you proposing to play Billing’s at FF? Might work, I suppose. He’s a potato in the midfield.
Pep 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:57 am

This year, I would like to see some "money ball" type trading, i don't think we need a star recruit just yet, just some good standard footballers, like Hind has done for the bummers.

Billings, we could do with him fwd pocket/half fwd rotating midfield, his stats aren't that bad reading, he's an outside player though, but i don't think we can pay him $600K... But what we need a genuine making target, possibly Riccardi, good size and kicked 11 goals from 8 games...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:27 pm

The problem with “ money ball “ type trading is that you never really know it was a money ball type trade until 2 years later when you review the trade.
Everyone called Dan Butler a money ball trade after 12 months but 6 months on and we can see why he was superfluous to Richmond’s needs.
There’s been a few good ones in recent times but there’s still an element of luck involved. It’s not easy to see something positive in a player that seventeen other clubs don’t.
Hopefully one day we can look back as Cameron being a moneyball trade we got right but still to early to determine right now.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Quote:
Pies Parish Play

Collingwood plan to take life-long Pies fan Darcy Parish in the pre-season draft if a deal cannot be made with Essendon this upcoming trade period.

Source: It came to me while walking through a cornfield one evening.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Quote:
Pies Parish Play

How could our club afford him now? As always, too late...
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The problem with “ money ball “ type trading is that you never really know it was a money ball type trade until 2 years later when you review the trade.

Our club always does anti-moneyball trading. Aren't you supposed to buy low, sell high? Our club does the opposite. Gives away players for a packet of stale chips. e.g. ... well, too many to list here... And buys when they have their one best season (or half a season), e.g. J. White and Levi.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Alex wrote:
If Ash can play for the rest of the year that should give us a good idea on whether or not he can produce for us long term. Remember we also have McMahon who was Pick 31 which is a fairly high draft pick. Wallis would be a handy pickup I agree, but I would only accept if it was a pick in the fourth round or something. Thats what we got for 24 year old Phillips so surely we can get 28 year old Wallis for that!

Also have Begg

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Bit of drama around Jake Stringer and his expiring contract.

27 years old, he wants 4 years.

Is he really on just 500,000? I reckon he is gettable, but is his best gone?

Him and JDG together could be fun. Laughing

Alex 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 pm

Pep wrote:
This year, I would like to see some "money ball" type trading, i don't think we need a star recruit just yet, just some good standard footballers, like Hind has done for the bummers.

Billings, we could do with him fwd pocket/half fwd rotating midfield, his stats aren't that bad reading, he's an outside player though, but i don't think we can pay him $600K... But what we need a genuine making target, possibly Riccardi, good size and kicked 11 goals from 8 games...

This is exactly what I think we should do as well. We should be doing exactly what Essendon did with Hind, they saw a weakness in their team (Running Half-Back after losing Saad, McKenna) and found their player they could get for a bargain deal. Ideally, it pays off as well as Hind has for Essendon, but all we need to do is identify a player that could fill a need, or just a player with talent, and get them for a low price. Best case scenario we get a player that has Hind's impact this year (Essendon got him for a fourth round pick), and worst case we get a player such as Hately for the Crows (Pre Season Draft), who looks like a failed pick but still has time on his side due to his age.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:23 pm

What we really need to do is stop trying to take shortcuts...
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Bit of drama around Jake Stringer and his expiring contract. 27 years old, he wants 4 years

4 years is too long. Puts in big games against bottom 6 teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16   

Jump to: