Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

someone stole the water meters at the factories we are building, i just spent 8 min going through menus, putting the account number in 4 times, and then got we are busy leave a message, only to have music for another 2 minutes and then that message again, i mean you have to queue to leave a message!!! but at least the recording was an english speaking person!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:34 pm

I think I’ve complained about it before, it now we’re back to stupid restrictions and poor deaf people feeling left out again, my frustrations have returned.

What pisses me off is trying to do the right thing and stand on the dots, keeping 1.5m behind the person in front which apparently appears like you’re not in the queue so people just move in front of you...

How much I miss the country already where you don’t have to worry about queues...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:17 pm

aint nobody queue jumping me!!!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:35 pm

Laughing Laughing I can see it now. Razz

It's only happened to me once, at Costco. This dick just came from the side and stopped in front of me. I just politely tapped him on the shoulder and said "sorry mate, the back of the queue is down there" and pointed. He slowly wandered off.
Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 am

Wonka wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

On the other hand, we all now know that Dick Pusey is an unmitigated oxygen thief who would provide most value to society if mulched and used as fertiliser.

Hopefully his prison neighbours can get that done.

David wrote:
As you probably remember from old discussions on here about the subject, I’ve never seen punishment and forgiveness as mutually exclusive. I don’t think for a moment that Pusey should be let off with a slap on the wrist for what he did (which wasn’t, let’s not forget, the killing of four police officers). He should receive his due sentence. But it’s interesting that someone above posted their hope that he gets a taste of jailhouse justice, which is to say being subjected to the very worst of the arbitrary cruelty of prison life in which the vulnerable have little protection against the self-designated top dogs. I’m guessing that a lot of people would be a lot less satisfied by a scenario in which he feels genuine repentance for all he has done and re-emerges in society a changed man – even though that would be much better for society, just as the prison violence some people celebrate makes everything worse – because that ruins the vengeance scenario of the villain getting his comeuppance.

And look, I’m not pretending to be a saint here: I’m not saying I could look into the eyes of a guy this far gone and love him the way Jesus commands his followers to love their neighbours, or those who have trespassed against them. But I salute those few who go into these environments and are able to actually see the humanity of the worst offenders, and actually dedicate their lives to helping them turn their lives around, particularly when they probably fail more often than not. I genuinely wish we could all be more like that.

The old "What Pisses You Off" thread seems to have been the only place we discussed this, so I thought I’d share an interesting piece I just read about it here:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2021/june/1622469600/sarah-krasnostein/most-hated-man#mtr

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 pm

ok. i stopped reading. you need a warning on that, i have not read those details elsewhere, and i wish i had not read them now. My sister knew Angela and one of the other officers through working with them. That could well have been my sister. and now i have that image of the damage to her body as she died in my head, so thankyou very much for that. Interesting? the public does not need to know those details, the public that loves to stop and gawk at a car smash or other tragedy.

as for Pussey, i dont give a shit what anyone else thinks, if he wasnt speeding, and driving like an absolute *&%%^&(*^$, which he is, there is no accident, no outrage, he could continue being an absolute waste of oxygen. yes the truckie killed them, and is in jail, and hopefully never gets out.

as for pussey, put him in general pop, oh wait he wont even serve much time!! well i for one hope that one day he gets what should have happened to him, and i hope its long, slow, and twice as $$%^%%$ agonizing as it was for Angela, and for Angelas family if they ever have to read that description. He should never have been born, his mother should have swallowed, the absolute 100% proof that man is truly $%$ed, absolute, filth and a waste of space, oxygen, and eventually the dirt which will bury him, may he forever rot in hell, and dont waste your breathe trying to change my mind. scum. of. the. earth.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:03 pm

I couldn't read it without giving them my email address so I didn't read it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm

think positive wrote:
ok. i stopped reading. you need a warning on that, i have not read those details elsewhere, and i wish i had not read them now. My sister knew Angela and one of the other officers through working with them. That could well have been my sister. and now i have that image of the damage to her body as she died in my head, so thankyou very much for that. Interesting? the public does not need to know those details, the public that loves to stop and gawk at a car smash or other tragedy.

as for Pussey, i dont give a shit what anyone else thinks, if he wasnt speeding, and driving like an absolute *&%%^&(*^$, which he is, there is no accident, no outrage, he could continue being an absolute waste of oxygen. yes the truckie killed them, and is in jail, and hopefully never gets out.

as for pussey, put him in general pop, oh wait he wont even serve much time!! well i for one hope that one day he gets what should have happened to him, and i hope its long, slow, and twice as $�$%^%%$ agonizing as it was for Angela, and for Angelas family if they ever have to read that description. He should never have been born, his mother should have swallowed, the absolute 100% proof that man is truly �$%$ed, absolute, filth and a waste of space, oxygen, and eventually the dirt which will bury him, may he forever rot in hell, and dont waste your breathe trying to change my mind. scum. of. the. earth.

Sorry to hear, Jo – will certainly keep that in mind if I post anything about this case here. But it is an important topic and something that needed to be written about. For me, it would have been dishonest to interrogate the questions around the offence he was charged with without detailing precisely what he did (and, just as importantly, didn't do).

Here are a few excerpts of the latter section of the piece for those like Stui who can't access the link:

Quote:
Since 1899, there have been six reported examples in Australia of analogous offences that elaborate on the concept of outraging public decency. The most recent example in Victoria was in 1963. In those cases, sexual behaviour – “indecency” – was involved. The question about whether Pusey’s actions fit the charge was only resolved by his willingness to plead guilty. His lawyer submitted that the cases used as precedents involved conduct that was different in nature to Pusey’s behaviour on the freeway. Judge Wraight found some merit in that point. There were, he confirmed, reasonable arguments about whether the facts were capable of satisfying the elements of the charge. Given that, the fact that Pusey pleaded guilty at the earliest reasonable opportunity meant that witnesses were spared the trauma of testifying and that the families of the victims did not have to endure years of protracted legal proceedings.

That this is a common law offence is significant for a few reasons. First, it means that Australia inherited it from England, and it has survived in our domestic legal landscape because it was neither converted into nor overridden by the laws we have enshrined in legislation. It is so old and so neglected that its penalty remains “at large”; that is, there is no specified maximum, punishment is entirely within the discretion of the court.

Second, unlike more clearly drawn statutory offences, the elements of common law offences are elaborated on a case-by-case basis. Because this offence has not been used, that hasn’t happened to a satisfactory degree. The court had a rough guide only. The act must be “of such a lewd, obscene or disgusting character that it outrages public decency”. An obscene act is one “which offends against recognised standards of propriety and which is at a higher level of impropriety than indecency”, whereas a disgusting act is one “which fills the onlooker with loathing or extreme distaste or causes annoyance”. It isn’t enough, however, that the act is lewd or obscene or disgusting. It must be of such a character “that it outrages minimum standards of public decency as judged by the jury in contemporary society”. It isn’t necessary that any particular person is outraged; nobody has to have even seen the act. Certain lewdnesses, obscenities and disgusts are considered sufficiently threatening to the common good that it’s enough that they occurred in public where they were capable of being seen.

The fact that the offence of committing an act that outrages public decency falls under common law is significant for one more reason: it is a creature of that same system that has long held there is no legal duty on the ordinary citizen “to go to the aid of another who is in peril or distress not caused by him”. As the British House of Lords put it: “the bystander does not owe the drowning child or the heedless pedestrian a duty to take steps to save him. Something more is required than being a bystander. There must be some additional reason why it is fair and reasonable that one person should be regarded as his brother’s keeper and have legal obligations in that regard.” There are two exceptions to this rule that failure to act may be a moral crime but it is not a legal one. First, certain legal relationships create a duty to rescue: teachers and students, for example. Second, where someone creates a danger, they have a duty of care towards those foreseeably placed at risk.

By giving cause to pull him over on a freeway, did Pusey put the police at risk in a manner that legally obligated him to come to their aid? That question was not before the criminal court. Rather, he had been charged with everything that would stick.

“What must be made clear at the outset,” Wraight told Pusey but, really, addressing the public whom Wraight said had deemed him “probably the most hated man in Australia”, “is that you are not being sentenced for causing or contributing to the death of the four police officers. While that may be a trite statement to those present, given the nature of the publicity as a result of your conduct … there are some reports in the community that suggest you somehow caused the death of the police officers.”

[…]

In the allegory of the long spoons, where the inhabitants of a certain realm are given food but utensils too long for feeding themselves, serving others is the difference between eating and starving, heaven and hell. Pusey’s counsel accepted that his client’s conduct was morally repugnant but highlighted that – unlike a 2008 English case that was the closest precedent – it didn’t involve “intentional indignities” towards the officers. Pusey’s violation was that he very enthusiastically did nothing at all.

I cannot say whether the more human reaction is to seek an explanation for Pusey’s behaviour or to not even pause to ask the question. But we did, however, build a legal system that considers context vital to the exercise of judgement, and therefore justice.

Pusey’s younger brother died from lung cancer in 2008. His older brother died by suicide in February 2021. His mother was a nurse, his father was a tiler, and that’s all that was said about them in court. He attended six primary schools. At 10, he worked as a paperboy. He was asked to leave Mount Eliza Secondary College two weeks into Year 10, accused of stealing computers. He was teased about his name, and fought frequently. The Pusey brothers developed a reputation as children to avoid.

He went on to employment as a train station assistant and a tram driver. Then a nurse. After two years of tending to the ill, he obtained a certificate in financial management. He was a finance broker for 16 years. Following a period of imprisonment in 2018, he lost his finance licence and went into property development.

Pusey has been married since 2009. He told his psychiatrist that his wife has “put up with a lot” in relation to his complex and volatile personality characteristics. “Despite some recent conflict that has resulted in an intervention order being imposed,” Wraight stated, “it was submitted that the relationship is ongoing and your wife continues to support you. She attended the plea hearings and I also note that the intervention order allows you to live with your wife upon your release.”

Pusey’s criminal history includes driving offences, injury offences, a stalking offence, contravention of a personal safety intervention order and using a carriage service to menace. In 2018, he was convicted for reckless conduct endangering serious injury.

Dr Adam Deacon, who assessed Pusey for the defence, found he had “prominent features of personality-based psychopathology”. He described Pusey’s personality disorder as moderately severe based on the level of functional impairment he had consistently experienced. “While he has an enduring pattern of interpersonal problems,” Deacon said, “he has a contrasting pattern of being able to function well in some workplace settings and environments he finds less challenging and overwhelming.”

Was his ability to function well in “some settings” simply that the umwelts of financial brokerage and property development gave Pusey something other environments could not? The money for the Porsche, maybe, and the grandiose self-concept that came with it? A feeling that oxidised when confronted with the hard reality of the densely populated world around him: the order to pull over, the powerlessness of obeying?

In his 1963 book, Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity, the sociologist Erving Goffman wrote that originally “stigma” referred to marks on the body designed to expose something unusual and bad about a person’s moral status. We’ve never stopped trusting surfaces, the way things appear. This is perhaps why “an enormous amount of public antipathy”, in Wraight’s words, was directed towards Pusey, who killed no one, and not Singh, who killed four people. Singh knowingly took an enormous risk with brutal consequences but “instantly repented”, in Justice Coghlan’s words. His remorse was “palpable, sustained and authentic”. Pusey’s conduct was “heartless, cruel and disgraceful”.

If you do not already know that personality disorder is a mental disorder, it is possible to believe that Pusey is simply a bad person. But psychiatric reports – unlike sentencing judgements and much newspaper reporting – are unconcerned with who is good and who is bad. Their concern is with who is well and who is unwell. And because their subject lies within the seamless sphere of the human cranium, they are never simple.

There are many types of personality disorders, but a shared symptom is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behaviour that differs significantly from what is expected. Pusey’s underlying personality vulnerabilities, according to Dr Deacon, manifested in various emotional, cognitive and behavioural problems. A normal human reaction of a person coming upon a scene like this, would likely be to immediately telephone triple-zero, or simply to run to the side of the deceased or seriously injured…

“Mr Pusey’s personality vulnerabilities fit within multiple core trait domains, including dissociality, emotional instability and disinhibition,” Deacon wrote in his report. “He was a complex mixture of core antisocial, borderline, narcissistic and paranoid personality subtypes … His mood problems also include problems with self-regulation…”

Wraight acknowledged that on viewing the carnage that had occurred during his brief absence, Pusey was in some form of shock; that he had conveyed as much in his police interview; and that the witness that had given him a lift from the scene observed him to be “very distressed and shocked”. “While there is no evidence of a formal diagnosis of shock at the time of the incident,” Wraight stated, “I accept that when you observed the scene, realising that you too could have been killed, it would have had a significant impact on you at the time.” There was also no evidence about how the symptoms of shock would have interacted with Pusey’s diagnosis; the question remained unasked.

[…]

Criminal offences are refined through frequent application in courts or legislative policy to balance social needs with the rule of law. They should be specific enough to be applied predictably and abstract enough that they can be tailored to the unique facts of each crime. Pusey’s case demonstrates that the offence of outraging public decency fails on all of those accounts except for one: it speaks to a deep-seated collective value. It indicates that we do not, in fact, consider certain failures to respect human dignity to be “lewd, obscene or disgusting”. We consider them anathema. More fundamentally, it indicates that we do, at least in the circumstances that unfolded on the freeway, consider ourselves our brother’s keeper with positive obligations in that regard. If that is true, we should formulate a modern version of the offence, justifying its parameters and its punishment.

But would doing so address what lies at the heart of the public outrage? Actions alone don’t determine criminality. Any revised public decency offence would still take into consideration the offender’s mental state. And we are more satisfied by the condemnatory narrative of outrage, its cartoon characters of us and them, than the underwhelming reality called legal justice, which cannot resurrect the dead or protect us in the future by forcing dysregulated individuals into a cost-benefit analysis before acting. Perhaps, then, it’s more honest to retain the old offence, whose language mirrors old impulses.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Surely Pusey must have some kind of psychiatric or personality disorder and not just be the worlds largest arsehole?

The thing I want to know however is how long has he been like this?

It's hard to imagine someone like him even having a career let alone one that was successful enough they could afford a Porsche and investment properties.

He's bat shit.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:32 pm

Serious psychopathology drives many wealthy people. They don't find cures for rare diseases very much but they do often find ways to make large sums of money. Quite often, the lack of concern for other people helps - in a very specific and socially-appalling sense of "helps".
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm

The thing that struck me in that article is that Pusey's elder brother suicided in Feb 2021.

Pusey is a self absorbed twat with the empathy levels of a rock, likely personality disorder as the article implies, but the levels of outrage over him and his actions is over the top.

There's been far worse human beings in Melbourne let alone the rest of the world.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Surely Pusey must have some kind of psychiatric or personality disorder and not just be the worlds largest arsehole?

The thing I want to know however is how long has he been like this?

It's hard to imagine someone like him even having a career let alone one that was successful enough they could afford a Porsche and investment properties.

He's bat shit.

Narcissistic prick, has no feeling for others, surely anyone who reads his words on the video he took can see that? LokeP4S I reckon there are quite a few movers and shakers Just like him, able yo step on others and stillsleep like a baby. Scum bags. Horrible people.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:33 am

Trying to change my return flight from Darwin next month. Yeah, I'm still optimistic, I could have cashed them out but hung in.

The "Manage my booking" part on the website doesn't give me the option to try to change the flight, it says to contact the office.

Try to call them, 2 hour wait to speak to someone.

No customer service email that I could find, I had to resort to Twitter. Found the Qantas twitter feed, people are all over it trying to get flights changed, they're responding by telling people to DM them with the details. So I did. Now I just wave to wait.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Still waiting on the flight back but far kit, I'm going, I'll worry about how to get home later.

Today I went to Shepp for work, took a pool car up, little Kia shoebox.

I'm usually pretty good with Tech but this thing had me going. Pairing the mobile was easy, setting the cruise control was impossible. There seemed to be 2 options, either set a cruise speed or a speed limit. The cruise just didn't work so I had to set an upper limit and keep my foot on the accelerator the whole way.

I'm doing this in an unfamiliar car while travelling at 100kmh. You can't set the cruise control while you're parked.

So I gave up and lived with the speed limit which at least meant I didn't have to watch the speedo but the other thing was some lane correction thing.

If I drifted toward the right lane without putting on the blinker, the steering wheel would jerk back to the left like someone grabbed it. First couple of times it happened I was WTF, but I experimented and figured out how it worked. Didn't work on the passenger side, just drivers side and it was really fkn annoying.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:20 am

Sounds faulty and dangerous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 21 of 46   

Jump to: