Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Collingwood Rant is now up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen every week, its a real highlight to look forward to, to get me through the early days of the week.

Thanks for going to the effort of putting it together.

I am boggled by the calls to 'keep it positive'....reminds me of a dysfunctional area at work, where all the good workers have left due to poor management, and are that are left are a bunch of dead sh*ts who do no work and leave messages on the white board about 'staying positive' while the work queue builds up and up

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 pm

I stand corrected on the coaching front. Thank you Richmond for your revolving door of coaches.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Always enjoyed the podcast.

I'm not interested in niceties, I just want to hear the blunt assessment of Sly and Spook whether things are good or bad.

At the moment, the club is at a low point so I'm not surprised their assessment of the current state of affairs is negative. In time, one can hope better times are around the corner.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:46 am

We aren't unique when it comes to coaching appointments IMO and are just another club alongside Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, West Coast and Adelaide who all have a large supporter base filled with expectations of success. You could probably add Hawthorn and Geelong to that list also as I doubt their fans would suffer fools gladly given their clubs history of success.

If this football club ever wants to return to being the biggest and the best in the land then it needs to stop believing it still is.

Where we once won premierships to build our legend, over the last 60 years our clubs greatest achievement is perpetuating the myth that we somehow remain better and more special than the rest.

That we still have a large supporter base owes a lot to the legacy of those early dominant Collingwood sides as one generation of family support lead it being handed down to the next.

But surely the passage of time and lack of premiership success in this period is gradually taking it's toll on our level of support.

It's now 85 years since we won consecutive flags and we have not won multiple flags in the same decade since the 1950's.

Until 2017 Richmond might well have been irrelevant for close on 35 years but in winning multiple flags in the late 60's early 70's they cemented themselves a large supporter base and now having won over a new generation of kids they have simply grown it again.

My greatest hope would be that our current board finally get it and freed from the hyperbole of Ed we dispense with all the hubris based on glories long gone, we show some humility and alongside the new coach we work bloody hard to build this club up to the point where we can deliver sustained Premiership success.

Personally I don't want to leave this mortal world without witnessing at least one period of success that the fans of Richmond, Hawthorn or Geelong have gotten to enjoy over the last 10 years.

How about everyone else?

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:02 am

^ This 100%. Being nice gets you nowhere. I like that the podcast tells it how it is. We need to move on and stop living on past glory.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:17 pm
Post subject: Re: the collingwood rantReply with quote

Sly wrote:
orie wrote:
I suppose you have both given up the beer for Champagne now that Bucks is Finally gone.

I used to enjoy listening to your thoughts on the games each week, and you did make me smile sometimes. However the last month it has been so full of negativity , sarcasm and disrespect towards Bucks that i will not be watching anymore. I know everyone has their opinion , however you have trashed this man in so many ways. You must think he had a great list to work with all that time. He has put his heart and soul into this club, as a player and a coach and he and Eddie, although they didn't always get things right, they never gave up fighting for the club...Until they were MADE to..
This early push was totally a political ploy by the board to save their skins.

Well, . We will see.
"ALL I CAN BE""

Sorry you feel that way, Orie.

We've never professed Buckley had some brilliant list. We've always said they've lacked genuine KPs and that list management under him has been problematic.

However, we have pointed out (for the last three years) an issue that many have begun to highlight this season: gameplan. That is Buckley's responsibility. And we've seen the on-field problems in every year he's coached but 2018. Why did we go from this free-scoring team in 2018 to a spluttering side in 2019, to this slow, indecisive, indirect team? The list hasn't changed that much. Arguably in 2019-20, it got better with the additions of Roughead, Moore, and Elliott.

There are things we don't talk about publicly (in terms of what we hear), but from which we draw our opinions.

I think you're going to find in the years to come, information will start leaking out about how deeply issues ran behind the scenes. He's underrated in the pantheon of AFL greats.

I love Buckley as a player -- I always say, he's one of the best players I've seen.

I wanted him to coach. But with ten years of evidence now to judge from, I am glad we've decided to make a change.

I know that there is a lot of truth in what you say re certain issues but it got to be too much negativity and as a Buckley lover since he first came to the club, it was too much.
With regards to the players who left after Buckley came in a coach, how many were actually offered a playing position somewhere else.
Leon whom we all loved never played anywhere again. Chris Daws had a stint at Melbourne. Paul Seedman went to Adelaide and has only now really blossomed. Daisy, well he became Dale at the Boos and it took a while after Malty left before he got his act together...sort of.. Didak who was a genuine star, never played again..And Heath Shaw who was always a favourite , just became too undisciplined. Still wish we had kept him.

Every coach brings in his own style and no matter what we all thought, the one thing I will always believe is that our players did their best for him.
Unlike some teams who were thrashed by their opposition, our boys continued to fight on and I am proud of them.
I prefer today to remember him for the commitment professionalism and care that he displayed at various times and his stoic composure under enormous pressure. That day at the G in the Grand Final when our banner broke , showed a side that suggests a compassionate person. I will shed a tear today, again and hope that he will find a different path to happiness in the future.
I hope with all my heart that our boys will put up a good effort today against the powerful Dees.

Floreat Pica.
NATHAN BUCKLEY
ALL HE COULD BE..

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 pm
Post subject: The Round 13 Episode of The Collingwood Rant is now UP!Reply with quote

What a majestic way to send off outgoing coach and club legend Nathan Buckley!

Where has this form been the last two and a half years?

Sly and Spook look at the amazing win over league pacesetters and perennial snowbunnies, the Melbourne Football Club!

All on The Rant!

Check out the episode on YouTube, or listen to the podcast.

Like our Facebook page.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am
Post subject: Where is the Rant??Reply with quote

I guess there is nothing much that is new to say.
Same old..... same old.

Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:35 pm

Oh there's plenty and my lunch break has been ruined by no rant to listen to... come sly and spook! Your fans await.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:19 pm

Dry July way laid it?
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Normally up on a Tuesday, I'm getting withdrawals...

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:46 pm
Post subject: The Round 16 Episode of The Collingwood Rant is now UP!Reply with quote

Where do you go when it seems that there's nowhere left to go?

Sideways.

And back again.

Back around, turn it over, try to get it back, then start it all over again.

Sly and Spook examine the loss to St Kilda, and then delve into the coaching debate and address some of the rumours going around.

All on The Rant!

Check out the episode on YouTube or listen to the podcast.

Like our Facebook page.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Enjoyed this rant guys, as usual. I agreed particularly with your analysis regarding the conflicted psyche of our players. on the one hand, our players have the instinctive ability to play with aggression and audacity, but at the same time, their natural decisions are being stymied by the necessity of playing the team thing, playing the role that has been assigned...leading to schizophrenia/split personaltiy disorder on the playing field. Do SFA for three quarters, then in the final quarter you say, that's it, what have we got nothing to lose, I am just gonna do what I believe i need to do...
And, as a result, blow the opposition out of the water. Had that game last week gone on for a few more minutes, I reckon we would have won.
Just need another coaching perspective to harness the potential.

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:36 pm

Actually thought we were a good chance to snatch an unexpected win.

Cameron took that good intercept mark on the wing late in the game. He swung around to kick it, and was tackled by somebody in the protected zone. The umpire pinged Cameron. It should've been a 50-metre penalty.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:37 am

As always, great podcast guys.

Agree that the game could have been snatched in the dying stages. We had 2:13 left when we got within 8 points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27   

Jump to: