Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who will coach Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our next coach?
Ross Lyon
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Alistair Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 43 ]
Brad Scott
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mark Williams
19%
 19%  [ 34 ]
Michael Voss
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Adem Yze or Sam Mitchell
19%
 19%  [ 35 ]
Blake Caracella
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Scott Burns
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Craig McRae
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 178

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you not know "what Wright's advice was"? You don't need anyone to fill out the details - you can just take it from the Coach's statements on the subject. Buckley said this specifically in the press conference: "Over the last couple of weeks in conversations with Graham it was clear that there was an appetite for change in the program...."
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Yep but do we honestly think a player is going to say anything else about a current ( assistant or line ) coach when a mic is shoved under his nose.

When people ( players, players parents or club staffers ) at both Richmond and Melbourne continue to say the same thing, you take note.
He has a way of polarising himself to everyone he meets. Half love him and the other half hide when they see him coming.
It’s not like this is earth shattering news to anyone in football. The club will know how intense and in your face he is. The only decision they have to make is how much of a right fit is that for a very young group of players.
If you’re a father to a teenager, then you will probably know the answer.

Williams has his strengths as others have noted, but I've read other accounts of him fracturing teams as he did at Port and the Tigers as an assistant.

This post from BigFooty by a Richmond supporter has given me pause for thought:

Quote:
The issue with chocco is he divides a club

He starts of brilliantly, but after a few years he starts white anting those who are not in his chosen circle.

Much of the divisions in RFC in 2016 were due to chocco. Reiwoldt wanted to leave because he was over the drama, drama which was chocco undermining cotchin and Hardwick, and trying to convince jack to take over. Deledio was also one he was into. He was extremely tight with Martin, and did a lot for him. Martin didn't want to be a part of the friction however (as we know now he was very tight too with Hardwick)

Chocco has a great footy brain, and can make a great impact upon a club. The issues if Port were repeated at Richmond however, and my advice to any club is keep a very tight leash on him

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/goodwin-under-close-scrutiny.1257614/page-4#post-69296662

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Another side issue is that Mick McGuane has basically said he's 'available' as an assistant for the right coach. Is Choco that man? I doubt Lyon is?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Ok so I'm going to look into my crystal ball right now..

Lyon will be inquired too about his interest as will others, we will than short list some options and I expect Ross to get to the final few. This will take a little time as we 'as of right this second' have no rivals for anyone's services but I think we all know Carlton are now going through the motions and will sack Teague within weeks. Ross knows this and yes Carlton's list as of this moment more suits his immediate needs, so he'll hold off signing with us unless we jump and he can't see the Carlton job becoming available by the end of this season if not sooner. Carlton will sign him immediately at which point we'll sign Williams.

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm

I can't believe people are wanting Ross Lyon.
So yiou wanna go to the footy and watch a slow, dull, defensive game style? We just got rid of Bucks for that reason.
You want a coach that only has time for the stars and doesn't even speak to the youngsters? THey don't call him Ross the Toss for nothing.

Get a grep people. I'm trusting that Wrighty is smarter than that.
And if we do get Lyon, I'm done with footy.

Then there is Mitchell. What has he done as assistant? He just finished playing couple of years back.

Don't talk to me about B Scott either, North couldn't wait to get rid of him. He's a crap coach.
So North wouldn't go near him again, and yet he's good for Collingwood?
What are we a rubbish vortex?
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:37 pm

How long is Justin Longmuir’s contract?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:50 pm

Based on Hawthorn;s performance tonight against the Swans, one can surmise that Clarkson has lost absolutely none of his genius and his ability to inspire brilliance in the team he coaches. Hawthorn are below us on the ladder and turned in a performance of such exhilaration and energy that we could never possibly imagine under the 2021 Bux coaching regime.
however, I dont think we are any chance to get him. I think his project now is to rebuild Hawthorn, rather than us.
Beware of Sam Mitchell though. By all means, interview him and make an assessment. But never assume that a former legend can become a master coach. We need to learn lessons from history, especially the immediate history.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:56 pm

bally12 wrote:
I can't believe people are wanting Ross Lyon.
So yiou wanna go to the footy and watch a slow, dull, defensive game style? We just got rid of Bucks for that reason.
You want a coach that only has time for the stars and doesn't even speak to the youngsters? THey don't call him Ross the Toss for nothing.

Get a grep people. I'm trusting that Wrighty is smarter than that.
And if we do get Lyon, I'm done with footy.

Then there is Mitchell. What has he done as assistant? He just finished playing couple of years back.

Don't talk to me about B Scott either, North couldn't wait to get rid of him. He's a crap coach.
So North wouldn't go near him again, and yet he's good for Collingwood?
What are we a rubbish vortex?

Brutally blunt, but totally on the mark. I agree Bally. We do NOT want anything to do with Ross Lyon, nor Brad Scott. In this era of coaching, the recycling of previous coaches with no record of complete success is retrograde.
Given our recent history, we should be very wary of Sam Mitchell as well. We have just gone through a whole decade under the assumption that a past club legend would automatically be a master coach, with very few years coaching experience.
We need to assemble an expert panel, and comb the list of AFL assistant coaches, guys like Fagan or Bevridge, with years in the system, extreme emotional intelligence, and underestimated because they never played AFL at the highest level.

BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:07 am

I've been saying for years that I'd love Clarko to replace Bucks at Collingwood and that's not changed.

Would love to see him coach the Magpies.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 am

We don't want Clarko... we want the next Clarko

A brief history of Clarkson's post-playing career:

1999: Assistant to Watson at the Saints
2000: Head coach at Werribee
2001: Head coach at Central Districts (SANFL - premiers)
2002: Central Districts - runners up
2003: Midfield coach at Port, under Williams
2004: Port premiership (assistant coach)
============
2005: Head coach at Hawks - rebuild
2007: Hawks make finals
2008: 1st flag at Hawthorn
2009-2012: rebuild again
============
2013: first of 3 in a row

So, prior to getting his first head coach gig, he was:

* Nothing special/successful as a player
* Coached at 4 different clubs in various roles
* Was head coach of 2 state league clubs
* Won a flag at state level
* Was an assistant at a flag-winning AFL club

1st year rebuild, 3rd year finals, 4th year flag is about as good as we could hope for at Collingwood I think - so there's the model

Now ask yourself, out of the current candidates - who fits that?

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:50 am

Most likely some guy we've never heard of ^

(and if you're referring to Yze, i've heard him interviewed... twice... pass).

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:18 am

My only thought on Lyon is this

https://youtu.be/08i9kvCJvJ0

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Most likely some guy we've never heard of ^

(and if you're referring to Yze, i've heard him interviewed... twice... pass).

Don't you think someone who was head coach at a flag-winning state club and assistant coach at a flag winning AFL club should be on the short list?

I'm not referring to anyone in particular, just saying someone that has already won 4 flags is probably closer to the end than the beginning... nobody has won 5 since Norm Smith

Ironic that you dismiss Yze based on interviews when that was Nathan's (some, like you, might say only) speciality

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 am

If we're going for experience my only choice would be Clarko. I think we'd be better served by going with a recently retired (5 years or so) player who's experienced Premiership success or has served as an assistant under a Premiership coach. Recently retired not key but absolutely has to have been involved in a Premiership winning culture as player or assistant. Imho
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:18 am

If Clarko is unavailable, the club doesn't choose Choco Williams and Harvey doesn't show enough to get then job, my advice would be to re-engage Bucks at the end of the year. Having 6 months off might be just the tonic he needs. Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 15 of 158   

Jump to: