Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Drove to Adelaide with Mrs WPT, catching the end of the Fringe Festival: great stuff.

Today Mrs WPT went to some galleries while I joined a few doing the “Coast to Coast” ride: Glenelg to Victor Harbour. Done ✅ tough day in the office: rode from Adelaide CBD to Glenelg before the ride started (about 40 minutes riding). The ride started at 07:30. The first 25 km’s was up the Adelaide Hills with a first stop in Stirling. Then the next 65 km’s was great: a combination of downhill, flat road and undulations. The last 30km’s was tough: strong headwinds made tougher by my lack of preparation in the last 1-2 months. But, I’ve dunnit 😊😃👍

Just finished a lovely long black coffee in Victor Harbour before catching the bus provided by Bike SA back to Glenelg. I’m rooted 😉

im guessing the missus wont be after all that!!

your nuts
.... must be sore!

I paid for it yesterday: the lack of training 🙄. Sore knees, backside, low back....one good sleep and I’m a new man. The hotel has a pool, spa and sauna and we’re driving back on Tuesday.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:36 am

nice!! enjoy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:09 pm

After the disappointing match yesterday and after being furious with myself for eating sh*t take-away food at the footy, I like the Collingwood Footy team yesterday had to crucify myself today.

So this fine athlete, a svelte Columbian mountain rider of bikes decided to ride Mount Donna Buang this morning. F*ck me this 17 km up hill ride was something else. It only got hard after 16.9 km Shocked

Took over 2 hours to get up and about 15-20 minutes to decend more or less.

I nearly gave up in the last 1 -2 km that was quite a pinch to get to the summitt but I dunnit , didn' stop and I'm stuffed and a bit sore now.

Lost over 2 kg in weight

So now I have the key to weight loss: ride Mt Donna Buang every morning

Wink Razz

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/yarra-ranges/mt-donna-buang/

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Good effort.
Physics works against big guys on hill climbs like that.
If you are usually a Beach Road rider that would be way out of your comfort zone.
I am 180cm and a very lean 85kg but even at that weight I am too heavy to be a quick climber by the standards set by the little guys.
About a decade ago we used to climb it regularly in preparation for the Alpine Classic and for going to France to ride in the Alps. On one occasion my back packed it in halfway up on the 4th ascent so I turned back, bought a paper and a pie and sat in the park waiting for my mate to do it 5 times. He was about 15kg lighter than me though.
Always had to be careful of the psycho local drivers at the bottom of the mountain with their pathological hatred of cyclists.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Good effort.
Physics works against big guys on hill climbs like that.
If you are usually a Beach Road rider that would be way out of your comfort zone.
I am 180cm and a very lean 85kg but even at that weight I am too heavy to be a quick climber by the standards set by the little guys.
About a decade ago we used to climb it regularly in preparation for the Alpine Classic and for going to France to ride in the Alps. On one occasion my back packed it in halfway up on the 4th ascent so I turned back, bought a paper and a pie and sat in the park waiting for my mate to do it 5 times. He was about 15kg lighter than me though.
Always had to be careful of the psycho local drivers at the bottom of the mountain with their pathological hatred of cyclists.

I’m just stoked I did it. There was only 1 real dickhead of a driver (Ute VCool and one other but quite a few cyclists. Gives me confidence to do Arthur’s Seat. I want to do it once more before the Great Otways Classic on 24 April. Gives me encouragement to lose weight again as the uphill grind ( and for me it was a grind) will be that much easier.

My low back felt it a bit but not as acute as your back pain in France. Terrible. Doing it by ur self too meant I didn’t have any distractions that can assist you.

In 2018 I did Mt Molloy (FN QLD) with 600 others but followed a couple who had fantastic cadence which suited me (they basically carried me) and in 2019 with the Great Vic on the second last and last days we were in the Otways and Iast day I followed this bloke who would have been in his mid 70’s but a fantastic rider ( apart from cycling he had such a relaxed and still technique) and he got me up and down a lot of hills there.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm

If you can do Donna Buang you can do Arthur’s Seat, which is much shorter but steeper. The descent back down towards the bay isn’t great though - too much hard braking with the gradient and bends, although if your brakes are fluid disc it would be ok. The descent at the back of Arthur’s was preferable for me. Up, over and down the other side rather than up and back down the same way.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:36 pm

I’ve got the Great Otways Classic on 24 April (145km) https://www.greatoceanotwayclassic.com.au/racv-145km-ride/ coming up so I’m gunna try Mt Donna Buang one more time.

After a casual 75km’s yesterday to roll out any stiffness I’ll be riding to work tomorrow 36km round trip.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 pm

i mean id join you but the knees....doctors orders!!
new doc, Paul Blackman, used to be collingwoods doctor, good friends with pendles, now hes the track and field doc for the tokyo games - which probably wont happen.

and i have a collingwood secret K would kill for!!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:01 am

think positive wrote:
new doc, Paul Blackman, used to be collingwoods doctor, good friends with pendles, now hes the track and field doc for the tokyo games - which probably wont happen.

How are your knees now? How long does it take to get functional again post injection.

Apart from being a bit tired I was surprisingly fine after riding Mt Donna Buang. I rode to work and back yesterday and no drama for me (it’s just the time it takes getting dressed and undressed and the multiple showers I gave that is the pain Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 am

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

How are your knees now? How long does it take to get functional again post injection.

Apart from being a bit tired I was surprisingly fine after riding Mt Donna Buang. I rode to work and back yesterday and no drama for me (it’s just the time it takes getting dressed and undressed and the multiple showers I gave that is the pain Rolling Eyes

Usually the left one is fine straight away, but this time it took a couple of days, now it feels 15 years younger!! The right usually takes a week or so, its nearly normal now, they say 2-3 weeks, i try to do the right thing as much as possible so it lasts longer, it supposed to last min 9 months, i usually get about 13, but due to covid it was 16 months, it was only the last month or so where i started thinking i need this now. That could be because for a start i spent last January in a boot so i couldnt go on the treadmill or for long walks, and also due to being less mobile due to lockdown. Ive lost 5kg too, which im sure helps, the doc said it would. out of pocket for both knees is about $1,100 get some back from medicare, not much, maybe it will go on the schedule one day as a treatment for arthritis. I dont have extras, by the time you add up what we spend, cheaper just to pay. Its worth it, im more mobile than anyone i know thats had a knee replacement, they all have aches at least.

mount Donna Buang, gees.... how long did it take?? whats the altitude gain??

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:46 am

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Usually the left one is fine straight away, but this time it took a couple of days, now it feels 15 years younger!! The right usually takes a week or so, its nearly normal now, they say 2-3 weeks, i try to do the right thing as much as possible so it lasts longer, it supposed to last min 9 months, i usually get about 13, but due to covid it was 16 months, it was only the last month or so where i started thinking i need this now. That could be because for a start i spent last January in a boot so i couldnt go on the treadmill or for long walks, and also due to being less mobile due to lockdown. Ive lost 5kg too, which im sure helps, the doc said it would. out of pocket for both knees is about $1,100 get some back from medicare, not much, maybe it will go on the schedule one day as a treatment for arthritis. I dont have extras, by the time you add up what we spend, cheaper just to pay. Its worth it, im more mobile than anyone i know thats had a knee replacement, they all have aches at least.

mount Donna Buang, gees.... how long did it take?? whats the altitude gain??

Glad to hear the knees are doing well 👍

I’m in the Guinness book of world records for the slowest climb of Mt Donna Buang 😉 2 hrs up and 15 mins down. But I did it and didn’t stop. A work colleague more than 1/2 my age ( and a few kg’s lighter just quietly) did it in 1hr and 20mins.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:52 am

This weekend is the Great Otways Classic starting at Lorne. I’m going with a group of 6 and this by far is the longest and most challenging for a few of them (It’ll be challenging for me too but I’ve done similar rides before. Not a race but just doing it. The last time I rode through the Otways I was able to follow this bloke in his early to mid 70’s I reckon who was just a beautiful rider: great rhythm / cadence & following him up, down and around got me through a fair bit of it.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Got Around the Bay in a Day fundraiser on Sunday 9/10/22, a fundraiser for the Smith Family. Raised over $2000 so far. Doing the 210 km option 🤦‍♂️🚴 what was I thinking 🤔 have to do it now 😉
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:41 pm

You have 3 days to get on the tools, rip the motor out of the whipper snipper and put it on the bike. clock is ticking.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
You have 3 days to get on the tools, rip the motor out of the whipper snipper and put it on the bike. clock is ticking.

This year I think I need to 🤦‍♂️ The weather looks good. Key is getting in early,
Being towards the front when the start goes at 05:40 so we can be in the first ferry from Queenscliff. Not as fast as I used to be but I grind it out. Three or four of us in our little group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15   

Jump to: