Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Latest Scam

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:28 am
Post subject: Latest ScamReply with quote

So apparently I'm about to collect $950k USD Very Happy Just got his email.

Quote:
Attention:

This is to inform you that you have been selected to receive the 2020 United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) of $950,000 US Dollars. The selection process was carried out through The United Nations (UN) computerized email selection system, from a database of over 200,000 email addresses obtained from all continents of the world, which you were selected among.

The United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) was created by the former UN Secretary-General Kofi A. Annan in 2005 as a United Nations General Trust Fund to support democratization efforts and civil society organizations around the world. We are delighted to inform you that due to mixed up of names and numbers, your name attached to approved number 058/85, which consequently fall on (UNDEF) African Chapter,therefore, you are advised to contact the United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) African Coordinator and Grants Manager Mr.Christian Lamarre, to claim your $950,000 US Dollars.

Name: Christian Lamarre
Tel; +1 (585) 488-0383

Contact him by providing him with the under listed information as soon as possible.

1. Name In Full :
2. Address :
3. Occupation :
4. Nationality :
5. Direct Phone :

Be inform that Christian Lamarre is the Senior Programme Officer and he is responsible for the smooth and efficient release of all beneficiaries fund globally including your 2020 United Nations Democracy Fund of
$950,000 USD, so contact him immediately with these information's as required above.

Congratulations once again.
Mrs Annika Savill
Executive Head United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF)

Of course it's a scam, but the interesting thing is that Annika Savill and Christian Lamarre do actually hold those roles at the UNDEF. So on first inspection, if you ignore the poor grammar in the email, you may think it's legit.

Until you contact and apart from getting your details they then tap you for some money in order to release the amount. Only need a small percentage of people on the hook for a few hundred each and it quickly adds up.

https://www.un.org/en/sections/about-website/fraud-alert/index.html

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2019/11/23/the-2019-united-nations-democracy-fund-advance-fee-scams-being-sent-by-online-scammers/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love the convoluted logic used to explain how the recipient ended up being entitled to this payout:

Quote:
We are delighted to inform you that due to mixed up of names and numbers, your name attached to approved number 058/85

So it's a mix-up – and surely a catastrophic one, given the amount of money involved! – but they're delighted to go through with the payment anyway. Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:32 am
Post subject: Re: Latest ScamReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
So apparently I'm about to collect $950k USD Very Happy Just got his email.

Quote:
Attention:

This is to inform you that you have been selected to receive the 2020 United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) of $950,000 US Dollars. The selection process was carried out through The United Nations (UN) computerized email selection system, from a database of over 200,000 email addresses obtained from all continents of the world, which you were selected among.

The United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) was created by the former UN Secretary-General Kofi A. Annan in 2005 as a United Nations General Trust Fund to support democratization efforts and civil society organizations around the world. We are delighted to inform you that due to mixed up of names and numbers, your name attached to approved number 058/85, which consequently fall on (UNDEF) African Chapter,therefore, you are advised to contact the United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) African Coordinator and Grants Manager Mr.Christian Lamarre, to claim your $950,000 US Dollars.

Name: Christian Lamarre
Tel; +1 (585) 488-0383

Contact him by providing him with the under listed information as soon as possible.

1. Name In Full :
2. Address :
3. Occupation :
4. Nationality :
5. Direct Phone :

Be inform that Christian Lamarre is the Senior Programme Officer and he is responsible for the smooth and efficient release of all beneficiaries fund globally including your 2020 United Nations Democracy Fund of
$950,000 USD, so contact him immediately with these information's as required above.

Congratulations once again.
Mrs Annika Savill
Executive Head United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF)

Of course it's a scam, but the interesting thing is that Annika Savill and Christian Lamarre do actually hold those roles at the UNDEF. So on first inspection, if you ignore the poor grammar in the email, you may think it's legit.

Until you contact and apart from getting your details they then tap you for some money in order to release the amount. Only need a small percentage of people on the hook for a few hundred each and it quickly adds up.

https://www.un.org/en/sections/about-website/fraud-alert/index.html

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2019/11/23/the-2019-united-nations-democracy-fund-advance-fee-scams-being-sent-by-online-scammers/

Congratulations Stui. BTW, can u spot me for a new car?

One of the issues with getting my Mum a smart phone pre diagnosis of Alzheimers was that she would get emails saying she won millions.

Once she rang me (when she had the diagnosis) in the middle of the night saying I had to assit her to claim the millions. When I told her it's a scam she got angry and hung the phone up Shocked Very Happy

Mrs WPT when she worked in Aged Persons Community Mental health had to try to stop a woman from going overseas to meet her Nigerian Prince, she'd already speant thousands. This invited questions of when one can apply the Mental Health Act or not: people are allowed to make poor choices (look at all those Trump supporters who deny the reality if not science of the Corona-Virus)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:23 pm

These bastards are really active at the moment.

I've been getting lots of texts about supposed deliveries coming that I need to click on the link below to do something, problem is if you look at the URL the links are dodgy and apparently bugger your phone.

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news-alerts/missed-delivery-call-or-voicemail-flubot-scams

The other one is the landline (yes I still have one) calls where a recorded message tells me a parcel for me from overseas has been intercepted, a warrant has been issued for my arrest and Dept of Home affairs is going to FUBAR me.

So the first few times I got the call, I just hung up. Last time I was cranky so pressed 1 to speak to an officer. Got them unawares, there was a bit of sudden shuffling then a bloke goes "Hello, you have contacted the Department, how can I help you?"

I replied with "you could help me by not fkn calling you scamming cnuts" . He hung up on me.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Glad I'm not alone in noticing an influx of scammers recently.

Got a text message yesterday saying I missed a delivery for a product I never purchased, and it instructed me to click on the link sent to me.

This shit has been out of control since the pandemic started.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:00 pm

No texts but a lot of emails about packages. The fact it’s from Australian Post makes it very, very obvious 😂😂
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am

New one, this time impersonating My Gov.

Got this email yesterday, from MyGov, titled "you have an outstanding refund" which got my attention.

Quote:
Dear Customer,
You have an outstanding refund from MyGov.
Our transaction management system detects that you are entitled to receive this payment.
Your refund is available online : 640.98 AUD
NEW REFUND
Registration Date : 31/03/2022
Registration number :100088684468
Payment method : Direct debit at maturity
Reference notice : 183XXXXXXXXXXX
Amount : 640.98 AUD
Bank details : Completed on the form

To accept the fast online payment click on the following link and save the refund information : >> Access your form
Kind Regards,
The MyGov.au Team

Now, it had the Australian coat of arms and MyGov logo, but my radar went Ping straight away.

So standard operational procedure in checking for a scam.

1. Legit emails from MyGov or banks don't include links, they instruct you to log into your account.
2. Check the email address the email is from. False
3. Hover the mouse over the link they want you to click and the URL comes up. Not a government one.

I checked online for MyGov scams and apart from Scamwatch there is s specific email address to report these kinds to. ReportEmailFraud@ato.gov.au

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/online-services/identity-security-and-scams/verify-or-report-a-scam/?=QC53447_Link2#EmailandSMSscams_report

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm

Yeah I've had that one before, but if I'm ever unsure I also just go directly to the source and log in to my account.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:15 pm

^

Did that too. No refund owing. Sad Wink

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:04 pm

I still don't get how People Fall for that kind of Stuff.

It's Obvious BS

No one will just give you something like that

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 pm

There are many gullible people out there Dave.

Some actually believe what a politician says is the truth…
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:31 pm

Yep. There are so called human beings who actually barrack for Carlscum 🙄
Go figure 😆

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Got another one, and this is a good one.

I just got an email invoice from Herbalife, thanking me for my order.

Full details of the order, price etc, very official looking, delivery address an address in Greensborough that does exist and a name and phone number that isn't me, but my email address saying it had been paid for by Paypal.

After a WTF moment, I haven't used Paypal for so long the cards would be expired, I did some checking and yep, it's a scam.

The scam is it tells you you have a short window of time to cancel the order before it begins processing and has a "Cancel Now" link. They want you to go WTF, someone hacked my Paypal account and quickly click on the link to cancel the transaction.

Details here https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Security-and-Fraud/New-Scam-email-with-receipt-from-Herbalife-Australia/td-p/2909834

The good part was it prompted me to log into Paypal, change my password and add in 2 factor authentication. My cards have expired, I'll add a current card if/when I need to use it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Got another one, and this is a good one.

I just got an email invoice from Herbalife, thanking me for my order.

Full details of the order, price etc, very official looking, delivery address an address in Greensborough that does exist and a name and phone number that isn't me, but my email address saying it had been paid for by Paypal.

After a WTF moment, I haven't used Paypal for so long the cards would be expired, I did some checking and yep, it's a scam.

The scam is it tells you you have a short window of time to cancel the order before it begins processing and has a "Cancel Now" link. They want you to go WTF, someone hacked my Paypal account and quickly click on the link to cancel the transaction.

Details here https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Security-and-Fraud/New-Scam-email-with-receipt-from-Herbalife-Australia/td-p/2909834

The good part was it prompted me to log into Paypal, change my password and add in 2 factor authentication. My cards have expired, I'll add a current card if/when I need to use it.

yeah i got that one too! made me feel fat!!!

i got a mygov one too, no pics, no caot of arms, just writing, address looked legit, i thought ill log on later, then forgot about it. hubby wanted some cash so i went to transfer money to my account so i could withdraw it, and imagine my happy surprise when i discovered we both got decent refunds, i mean we pay every year, so $10 would have been good this was WOWW! they base your BAS on the year before, so we overpaid bigtime! big work year this FY though, they will slaughter us next year!!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:02 pm

Bastards are still very active.

One new to me that's apparently been around for a while is an email pretending to be from Telstra telling me my account has been cancelled because my automatic payment didn't go through and tells you to click on a link to update your payment details.

It's pretty well done, logo, even the privacy message at the bottom of the email, but the first dead give away is the 'Click here to update your details", Few legit places do that anymore because of scams. The second is that Telstra don't cut you off for 1 late bill, 3rd is if you look closely at the email address, it's fake. I checked their website and they're aware of it so no need to report it.

Just to show how active the bastards are, I went to the bank this morning to get a bank cheque for the car I'm buying. Had to hand over the Medicare Card and drivers licence as well as the EFTPOS card and then answer questions to make sure this mob was legit. 2nd cheque the teller had done to this mob in 2 days, who are they? Explained that it's a car dealership, used to trade as the Holden Dealer on Grimshaw St but now using a different trading name. Yes I've actually physically seen the car, no they ain't getting the cheque til I get the keys. teller has to basically write a story in notes in their computer system so she's comfortable I'm not being scammed, then get the manager to read it all online before he would authorise the cheque.

While she was working the keyboard I asked if they actually get many people coming in who've been scammed and she's like, yep, all the time. Told me about a woman recently who applied for a loan with another bank, then got a letter in the post with that banks letter head etc telling her there was a problem and she had to move all the money to a different account that they provided, so she did. Poof, good bye money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: