Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2020 US election results

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
I was reading an article that mentioned that Trump's 74 million votes was more votes for a President than anyone previously. I thought that couldn't be right so I checked.

Fun facts, the 2020 election had the highest voter turnout since 1900 with 66.7%

Trumps 74 million votes was 11 million more than he got when he won in 2016. Let that sink in for a second, 11 million more people voted for Trump in 2020 than voted for him in 2016.

Biden's 81 million votes was 16 million more than Clinton got in 2016

Despite the largest voting turn out in US history, the final margin of 7 million votes barely makes the top 10 largest. The biggest margin ever being 17.99 Million by Nixon in 1972 Shocked

More fun facts loosely around Tannin's post above.

The total US population is around 330 Million. Around 80 Million of that is under 18 so that leaves roughly 250 Million people of voting age.

155 Million voted so 95 million for whatever reason, didn't.

Reality check:

Trump lost (232) and Biden won (306) let me see 306 minus 232 is 74

1. Trump lost bigtime
2. Almost no one is a single term president but I'm pleased to say Trump is
3. Trump lost the House of Representatives
4. Trmp lost the majority in the senate
5. Trump didn't win any of the above
6. Trump however did win impeachment ... twice (a record)

However Trump did win the racist redneck and white supremacist vote and by quite a margin.

Tru

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:50 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Here's another. If it had still been 1789, he would have beaten Washington's 43,782 votes by about 74 million.

There were under 225,000,000 people of voting age in the US in 2016. By 2019, the figure had increased to 255,000,000. It will have been higher again by 2020 (but I can't find a sensible projection at the moment). If two-thirds of the 2019 newbies vote, that's another 20 million votes. There's been a bit of an increase for both sides - but it's largely accounted for by population increase.

It's actually accounted for by 2020 having the highest voter turnout in over 100 years. 66.7% compared to 60.2% in 2016.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:53 am

^ I think those figures must (logically) be measuring something different. There need to be about 38 million more votes in 2020 compared to 2016 to account for both the natural increase in the eligible voting-age population (from under 225,000,000 to a figure well in excess of 255,0000,000) and the increased "turnout". The increase in total votes was under 24 million, so I'm not sure what the figures you are using are really measuring - but I suspect it's the change in the portion of registered (as distinct from eligible voters). I am not doubting that the figures you are using are reported (I've seen similar ones) - but I think the figures are incorrectly calculated. This is not a comment on your points - it is a comment on what appears to me to be the impossibility of the underlying data. I assume that's because the journalists who write this stuff do it with reckless disregard to the accuracy of the arithmetic.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
the journalists who write this stuff do it with reckless disregard to the accuracy of the arithmetic.

Gosh! Journalists getting it wrong? Who'd a thunk it?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I think those figures must (logically) be measuring something different. There need to be about 38 million more votes in 2020 compared to 2016 to account for both the natural increase in the eligible voting-age population (from under 225,000,000 to a figure well in excess of 255,0000,000) and the increased "turnout". The increase in total votes was under 24 million, so I'm not sure what the figures you are using are really measuring - but I suspect it's the change in the portion of registered (as distinct from eligible voters). I am not doubting that the figures you are using are reported (I've seen similar ones) - but I think the figures are incorrectly calculated. This is not a comment on your points - it is a comment on what appears to me to be the impossibility of the underlying data. I assume that's because the journalists who write this stuff do it with reckless disregard to the accuracy of the arithmetic.

I got the figures from here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin

It's the % of eligible voters, just because someone is over 18 doesn't mean they're eligible to vote.

Critique away.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/23/donald-trump-lawsuit-lord-of-the-rings-gondor-election

Quote:
Donald Trump’s diehard supporters are often accused of living in fantasyland, but one court case recently launched to try to reinstall him as president has surprised even the most hardened observers of Trumpian strangeness by citing as evidence a mythological realm from The Lord of the Rings.

The case was launched in Texas, in the name of small conservative groups including Latinos for Trump and Blacks for Trump, and was filed by Paul Davis, an attorney who lost his job after posting Instagram videos of himself at the attack on the Capitol.

The case offers a baseless mix of allegations of electoral fraud common among the Trump base and calls for the voiding of every vote cast in the election – which was won handily by now-President Joe Biden, who was sworn in this week.

But – unusually for a legal strategy – the case cites as evidence to back up its pro-Trump claims the tragic fate of the kingdom of Gondor, one of the central realms of JRR Tolkien’s fantasy classic, whose exiled ruler, Aragorn, was played onscreen by Viggo Mortensen.

“Gondor has no king,” the lawsuit states, a footnote providing an explanation of the woeful fate of Tolkien’s entirely imaginary land populated by dragons, wizards, hobbits and elves, all threatened by a baleful Dark Lord backed up by an army of orcs and with famously little time for due democratic process.

The suit explains how Gondor’s throne was empty and its rightful kings in exile, presumably positing the idea that Trump is the true king of America – a land happily monarch-free since 1776.

“This analogy is applicable since there is now in Washington DC a group of individuals calling themselves the president, vice-president and Congress who have no rightful claim to govern the American people,” the case states.

Where were the Ents when they were needed? - that's what i want to know.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Now here's an interesting possibility:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/05/texas-republicans-endorse-legislation-vote-secession

If "TEXIT" occurs, that means the Republicans lose 38 bankable electoral votes straight away.We can worry about what happens to them under the US constitution if Texan succession ever looks likely but I assume they are either lost entirely, or else reapportioned amongst the other States according to population (in which case, California, would get another 6 electoral votes, Florida would get another 3 or 4, New York would get another 3 or 4 etc).

You'd wonder whether the Republicans nationally would try to pull these morons into line but, who knows?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/05/texas-republicans-endorse-legislation-vote-secession
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:41 pm

I would kind of feel sorry for the (sane) people of Texas if this ever happened, but one can't help but think that the rest of the US would benefit if they did decide to pull the plug.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm

My understanding is they cant secede without the consent of the rest of the union
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:13 pm

They've seceded once already - from Mexico. Maybe they'll go back there?

Actual succession is a question of power, isn't it? The issue isn't addressed in their Constitution. A dead neo-Nazi judge there did say at one time that the issue of the right to secede had been decided by the Civil War. If you think about that for more than a moment, you'll realize that's piffle (even for a stupid American judge - and they've had dozens) - but, then, he was a complete idiot.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
They've seceded once already - from Mexico. Maybe they'll go back there?

They did but they then had to fight them, and win, before being able to establish them selves as The Republic of Texas for a few years before they were annexed voluntarily by the USA.

Texan dick pulling over secession is the same as from WA, it's just not going to happen.

Texas is a great place to visit though. I'd love to spend more time in El Paso and really look around.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:13 pm

Just watch out - you wouldn't want to get in the way of the goose-steppers, Stui.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Nah it's all good, you aren't allowed to take your guns into bars so that works for me.
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:15 am

David wrote:
I would kind of feel sorry for the (sane) people of Texas if this ever happened, but one can't help but think that the rest of the US would benefit if they did decide to pull the plug.

I'd say both would benefit.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-georgia-investigation-exclu/exclusive-georgia-secretary-of-state-opens-investigation-into-trumps-efforts-to-overturn-election-idUSKBN2A82HO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 37 of 38   

Jump to: