Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia v. India, Third Test - SCG.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You only find Greg "boring" because you disagree with him. When you say he bores you, you really mean you hate his views.

If it was so up and down, as Ashwin claims, why could he not take more wickets? Why could he bat out 250+ balls with the injured Vihari at the end of the fifth day? Why was this the longest 4th innings at the SCG in about 60 years? If it were up and down we would be able to see it on the screen. Not just that. They now track this stuff. The tracking would show the variable bounce. Sometimes cricketers just say stuff that isn't true. e.g. when Steve Waugh claimed one time Shoaib's spell was the most ferocious they'd faced. Players are biased and full of emotion when they say stuff. Ex-player commentators at least have a little more emotional distance.

Do you really think Cummins, Bumrah, Hazlewood, Ashwin and Lyon are not capable of taking more than 8 (plus one slogging) wickets in two days and 13 hours of cricket if it's not good for batting?

It's gobsmacking to me the attitude that the brand new ball should not move at all. That is a Flat-Track Bully attitude. Without movement, batting in Test cricket is easier relatively speaking than batting in the yard in primary school. (By relatively, I don't mean Pujara facing a 10-year-old in the primary-school yard. I mean 10-year-old Pujara facing 10-year-old Cummins in the yard.)
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

K wrote:
You only find Greg "boring" because you disagree with him. When you say he bores you, you really mean you hate his views.

I don't disagree with everything he says. I just fall asleep, any time I try reading his comments. I 'hate his views' ? I don't 'hate' any commentator's views. but I do not like ones (like Chappell) who repeatedly state the bleeding obvious.

And, as for Punter, he's become the Neil Harvey of the modern era. Whinges for the sake of a headline and he shamelessly exaggerates.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 pm

We know Neil Harvey reckons everything was better in his day. Same for Geoff Boycott. But Ponting never says that.

I don't know how e.g. calling Green the best young talent since Ponting can be called "boring". One might disagree, but surely it's noteworthy.

Warne's views aren't boring to me either. We know he has his favourites (certain spinners over others) and his grudges (S. Waugh). But that doesn't make him boring.

OTOH, someone like JB... Well, not boring, but I don't think he adds much...
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Re. his comment about Green.

Talk about 'bleeding obvious'. Rolling Eyes

Green had been talked up for months before G Chappell joined in.

Warne ? I don't recall criticising him, as a commentator.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm

As for BJ, I remember him stating that a certain bowler would be on a hat trick "in his next game' because he'd taken 2 wickets with consecutive balls to end the match. Very Happy

He's harmless enough. Just wish someone would tell him Sachin's surname is Tendulkar and not Tandulkar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13   

Jump to: