Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dandrews' strength of leadership vs. Scotty's dithering

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he's publicly apologised, which is something:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/21/daniel-andrews-apologises-for-botched-hotel-quarantine-program-in-victoria

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Funny how every other state and territory are able to control the virus and protect the people in aged care yet when Lockdown Dan fvcks it all up, that's Morrisons fault.

1: Aged care is a federal responsibility. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. It's Morrison's job.

2: Pay better attention another time. Every other state and territory DID NOT control the virus in aged care institutions. In particular, NSW had a lot of aged care deaths during the first wave.

It is in fact these NSW aged care deaths that really show up Morrison's disgraceful failure. You could argue that during the first wave everything was done in a hurry and we were still learning the ropes. From that you could say that we should cut Scummo a little slack. Well, OK, fair enough. But there is no excuse whatever for his abject failure to learn ANYTHING from the NSW aged care disaster. His "responsible" minister didn't even know how many of the people he was supposed to be caring for had died on his watch. No joke: the minister fair dinkum didn't even know how many of his people were dead.

Every other state did control the virus in aged care and everywhere else because they weren't incompentant. Older people are more likely to die, the majority of deaths in Australia were people over 70 and Lockdown Dan and his mob took out nearly 800 of them. people in aged care are the most vulnerable.

Extract your head from your rectum, the federal government is responsible for the legislation that Aged Care has to follow and has a system of reviews in place to ensure compliance. It doesn't manage them. The Victorian state government actually manages several via state health services.

Lockdown Dan and the creeping assumptions, the mob where no one apparently knows who makes decisions or who is accountable for what .
820 deaths in Victoria out of 908 in the country shows where the problem was.

I expect Gladys and co to get this under control quickly with minimal death in complete contrast to Victoria.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Tannin wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Why close the border to the USA when Dan lets people come in from the USA and not even have to quarantine.

This was long before there even was such a thing as hotel quarantine. Do try to keep up.

And now when America is completely out of control, Dan lets Americans walk the streets of Melbourne straight after stepping off the plane. What a leader!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 pm

That's right Stui, ignore the facts. (1) The Feds are responsible for aged care. They have both the power and the responsibility to oversee aged care institutions. They utterly failed to do that. Lots of people died - in NSW as well as Victoria - because the feds neglected their responsibilities. (2) Every other state did NOT control the virus in aged care - NSW in particular.

But cut NSW a little slack there: aged care is, after all, a FEDERAL responsibility.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Let's not forget Stui, the private aged care sector saved over 1000 people in 2020 compared to 2019, that's despite Dan's monumental **** up in Victoria.

Obviously the sector is just getting better and better under the leadership of ScoMo.

As for Victoria not being the only state to fail, there was a list published at one stage with 115 aged care homes with more than 2 cases, 110 of them were in Victoria, but yeah those 4 aged care homes in NSW with a handful of cases were clearly on the same level as Victoria Rolling Eyes
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:38 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Let's not forget Stui, the private aged care sector saved over 1000 people in 2020 compared to 2019, that's despite Dan's monumental **** up in Victoria.

Obviously the sector is just getting better and better under the leadership of ScoMo.

As for Victoria not being the only state to fail, there was a list published at one stage with 115 aged care homes with more than 2 cases, 110 of them were in Victoria, but yeah those 4 aged care homes in NSW with a handful of cases were clearly on the same level as Victoria Rolling Eyes

Mate stick to fires.

If you knew the truth about aged care funding & the way the Libs have f*cked it up with their funding (or lack of funding models) for in home services let alone Aged Care Facilities you wouldn't post such nonsense. I know the field as does my wife who spent 25 years in the sector & still does with her business. Scotty from marketting is a nasty little f*cker who has continued the Libs disgraceful ideological funding or lack thereof in the sector. f*cker

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:41 pm

David wrote:
At least he's publicly apologised, which is something:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/21/daniel-andrews-apologises-for-botched-hotel-quarantine-program-in-victoria

Correct weight. That's leadership and taking responsibility. Learning from one's mistakes. The Health Dep't screwed up big time and the minister at the time & top secretary have gone. So it should be.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:06 am

And the Jobs department which was actually handed initial responsibility and was responsible for the hiring of inadequate security guards and organising of the hotels with no ppe offered? No responsibility?

Or the Premier who apparently despite claiming to be in meetings all day and all night, was never actually briefed on anything that was occurring and was unaware of how hotel quarantine operated? In the biggest crisis to hit this state he made no decisions at all? Is that leadership?

You want to blame Scott Morrison for how private companies run their businesses but no blame to the Premier for how the State Government screwed up their covid response?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:22 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

You want to blame Scott Morrison for how private companies run their businesses but no blame to the Premier for how the State Government screwed up their covid response?

If you think that is the criticism of Scott Morrison or the Liberal Goverment with respect to their Aged care policy is simply ill informed. You really don't know what you're talking about.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:49 am

Scotty from Marketing needs to sack Michael McCormack as soon as possible. The man is a national embarrassment. Probably the only time I hope Scotty doesn’t get thrown under the proverbial bus as the utter dickwad would be acting PM

Not only stupid but is a dumbcnut as well.

In less than a week Dunderhead McCormack has given Coalition members the license to lie to the Australian Public

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/12/in-less-than-a-week-as-acting-pm-michael-mccormack-has-given-conservatives-a-licence-to-lie

Malcolm Farr the writer of the article was for years the political editor and writer for Murdoch’s Daily Telegraph. He was always seen as centre at times centre right.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 am

The PM Scotty from Marketing facing criticism for not returning from holidays for dealing with another fire raging out of control:

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/pm-faces-criticism-for-not-cutting-holiday-short-as-mccormack-fire-rages-out-of-control/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 am

I thought it was a generally understood aspect of Australian politics that, under Coalition governments, we get a fruitcake as acting PM for a few weeks every year. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:44 pm

David wrote:
I thought it was a generally understood aspect of Australian politics that, under Coalition governments, we get a fruitcake as acting PM for a few weeks every year. Wink

Yes it is. Usually about 52 weeks each year.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The PM Scotty from Marketing facing criticism for not returning from holidays for dealing with another fire raging out of control:

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/pm-faces-criticism-for-not-cutting-holiday-short-as-mccormack-fire-rages-out-of-control/

You missed this one

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/recently-dumped-23-year-old-woman-finds-fool-proof-comfort-in-youtube-horoscope-videos/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am

I missed this when it was published a couple of weeks ago, but I think Guy Rundle made some really good points about the kind-of-desperate attempt of some on the left as well as ALP supporters to associate Morrison with Trump – something that I think fundamentally misunderstands his approach to politics (which is quite distinct from Howard or Abbott) and makes it extremely difficult to fight back against. Anyway, I think it's worth reading in full:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/01/22/scott-morrison-progressive-anger/#

Quote:
Morrison is driving progressives nuts. But, really, they only have themselves to blame
Guy Rundle

With Trump fading into the distance, the attentions of progressives in Australia have turned back to Scott Morrison, a man who has barely figured for months in the political imagination.

With his comments about Australia Day 1788 — “it wasn’t a particularly flash day for the people on those vessels” — he magnificently brought it all back home and reminded us that, in this new era, we need to talk about ScoMo Derangement Syndrome.

ScoMo is driving progressives nuts — mostly because Labor is failing so absolutely at providing an alternative — which in turn makes progressive politics worse, and so on. The fantasy that the Morrison government is some sort of Trump-lite outfit is utterly distorting a political response.

To the boats comment first. Look, this was genuinely funny. I dunno if the intent was to be funny, but there it is. Firstly, it’s of dubious truthfulness: the First Fleet prisoners had been under sail for eight months, in dank holds, with weevilly biscuits and stagnant water for sustenance. Even if the fabled Botany Bay beach orgy has proved to be a myth, landfall was probably not the worst day of the experience.

Is ScoMo trying to get favour with victims of bad cruises or something? “They in 1788 also had to endure jugglers, and a disappointing buffet.”

But of course there was no rational or important point being made. The line was come up with in some Liberal backroom skunkworks as a way of rendering the whole Australia Day debate confused and misdirected. “What about the convicts huh?” is instantly confusing because yes, they were the English poor, political prisoners etc, but that’s not really the point about the huge event of colonisation, is it?

ScoMo’s interventionette means you have to spend five minutes explaining why the thought is misplaced, and by then the point is lost. It’s a measure of the weakness of Australia Day as a positive rallying point that the current right-wing response is to game it for a cheap shot.

The furious reaction to this wilfully absurdist moment indicates that many progressives are desperate to make Morrison and his government into right-wing culture warriors of an earlier era.

It’s such a bad fit to what Morrison is actually doing that one can only presume its purpose is self-serving — to give progressivism an identity, by way of antagonism, that it cannot supply to itself.

ScoMo’s comment was of a piece with other interventions on the culture front, which indicates that the Morrison government sees the culture wars of the 2000s as played out, and a culture-politics realignment underway.

The very limited changes to the national anthem, the 1788 Sitmar moment, and the release of 20-plus refugee/prisoners from hotel detention in Melbourne are clear indications that the Morrison government wants to avoid the sort of grand confrontations that defined the Howard government, and that Tony Abbott briefly revived as a Dada fringe performance.

The reasons are not hard to see: the demographic changes in the suburban middle classes which form the Liberal base. With Greens and teal candidates getting 23% votes in blue-ribbon seats, and rural seats under pressure from the various “voices” independent movements, someone in the Liberal skunkworks presumably realises that the progressive/multicultural moment has happened.

We are no longer, in urban centres, an anglo society, and the prosperous middle classes are no longer socially conservative. The Howard government had more than a touch of European style kulturkampf politics about it; Morrison’s moves, like changing two words of the anthem to minimally decolonise it, is classically Burkean conservative, controlling change to preserve an overall set-up.

(Of course, it’s a game of two sides; for every anthem change, there’s a Margaret Court gong. But it’s not exactly children overboard.)

The subsequent construction of Morrison by many progressives is one of the greatest acts of political misperception currently running.

It’s one Labor joins in, trying to lean on some notion of ScoMo as a content-free flim-flam guy, and his government’s moves on the social/culture front as cynical hypocrisy. Is there any indication that the mass of Australians believe this to be the case?

The change to the anthem’s words was met with a type of fury. Yet I’d presume that it aligns with the degree of change wanted by most non-Indigenous Australians — a dispensing of colonial ideals of the country, without committing to being defined by historical guilt.

Like it or not, that’s how most people want to think about the country. The simple administrative rewrite of the anthem doesn’t look like spin to them: it looks like the essence of good government.

The bitter fact for progressives to accept is that Morrison is now perceived as a quietly competent leader, avoiding the chaos seen in the UK and US, and not pushing his own religious values into the general social space.

Culturally, he’s governing to the left of himself in a country that has avoided the upsurge of a right in anything like the way that has occurred in the US, the UK or continental Europe.

The attempt by elite progressive opinion to construct a sort of imminent Trumpism here is absurd, and is simply a compensating mechanism for the absence of a genuinely left progressive program that should come from a Labor party currently consumed by a new leadership stoush.

Given that the most racist thing going on in Australia at the moment — the Black gulag in NT that it calls a justice system — is Labor bought and sold, there’s a bit to do on our side. This isn’t the US, and ScoMo ain’t Trump lite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15   

Jump to: