Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Board: Christine Holgate thrown under a Bus?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albo will be happy, he wanted action and got it
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Huh? So quickly? They haven't even had the investigation.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Holgate has resigned. She was thrown under a bus by Scotty from Marketing.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/christine-holgate-to-resign-as-australia-post-chief-20201102-p56ask.html

She wouldn't resign if she knew she was right. She knew she made an error.

She only need to blame herself for her complete lack of awareness of public accountability.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I'll be keeping my well-deserved Cartier watch.

WPT can keep his party-sized Kit Kat.

Cartier watches v Kit Kats. How about a better bonus for our posties?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cartier-watches-v-kit-kats-how-about-a-better-bonus-for-our-posties-20201106-p56c6u.html

"Back in November 2018, when Holgate gave four Cartier watches totalling $19,950 to four senior executive employees, you know what workers here received? A free party-sized Kit Kat with a motivational slogan that read: "Pause, Breathe, Reset". “There they were receiving super expensive wrist watches as gifts, and we got a bite-sized chocolate," my former postie, who did not want to be named, told me. "It was so insulting it was like an episode from The Office.”"
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:38 pm

File this under the list of political shitstorms that I find totally incomprehensible:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/04/13/suffragette-martyr-or-out-of-touch-ceo-christine-holgate-pauline-hanson/

Quote:
Australian women urged to wear white today to mark their respect; licensed post offices around the country pausing for a minute’s silence to show their support — welcome to the weird world of the martyrisation of corporate executive Christine Holgate.

Right down to the eve of the keenly watched Senate inquiry showdown between the former Australia Post CEO and its current chairman Lucio Di Bartolomeo, the soap opera continued.

The whole point of the Senate inquiry, instigated by Holgate supporter Pauline Hanson, was presumably to right the wrong of her ousting. So the chairman’s decision to announce her replacement, former Woolworths executive Paul Graham, on the eve of their appearance at the inquiry only fuelled further outrage.

While the conflicting evidence will no doubt be more riveting than illuminating, we should perhaps put the whole thing into a bit of context. After all, a boardroom battle between a chair and dumped CEO is not usually the stuff of such widespread and popular uprisings.

I checked and yes, indeed, #WearWhite2Unite is indeed a hashtag gaining traction on Twitter today: a supposed anti-bullying campaign whose only aim seems to be to throw support behind an ultra-rich CEO accused of misusing taxpayer money. Had no idea AustraliaPost was in the collective grip of a personality cult, or has the whole world gone mad?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:59 pm

The world has been going made for years and is getting worse.

Seems like this particular one was started by a group of licenced PO's who were very happy with her as CEO.

BTW, I'd hardly call her "ultra rich" and even if she were, that doesn't excuse bullying. This is one case I would agree with WPT that Morrison got badly wrong.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:22 pm

But was she bullied, really? Morrison's intervention hardly qualifies, unless I'm missing something here.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm

The arsehats who got rid of her deserve a good roasting. No question there.

However, she presided over a spectacular boondoggle using public money and should certainly have been sacked for it - her and quite a few others. As for her incredible stupidity in appearing before the parliament to explain it wearing a watch far more expensive than all four put together of the $5000 ones she gave away using public money, words fail me.

You are asked to explain giving away stupidly expensive watches, so you turn up in front of the inquiry flaunting an even more expensive one? Strewth! That's not "a tin ear", that's not "failing to read the room", that's just naked stupidity. There is an employee you'd want to supervise very carefully if you gave her a job sweeping floors.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 pm

The limited impression I get is someone who is so accustomed to extravagance that she has long since departed from any capacity to recognise how regular people live. That's not a crime – hell, maybe most CEOs are like that – but it certainly makes any victimhood claims when she has to change jobs a bit hard to stomach.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 pm

David wrote:
But was she bullied, really? Morrison's intervention hardly qualifies, unless I'm missing something here.

Technically no, you're correct. Bullying is generally defined in different legislation as repeated unreasonable behaviour. Was still a shit act though.

Tannin wrote:
The arsehats who got rid of her deserve a good roasting. No question there.

However, she presided over a spectacular boondoggle using public money and should certainly have been sacked for it -.

If the CEO of a Health Service did it, yes it's public money as it's taxes that have been allocated out. Australia Post is a Government owned business that generates it's own funding, so she didn't spend a cent of tax payers money and considering the amount of revenue those 4 had locked in for Aus Post, I don't think the watches were unreasonable.

By example, a woman whoe used to work for me, her husband worked for an electronics company, might have been Cannon, and every year he would win an all expenses paid trip for 2 to some place in Europe as a reward for performance.

Holgate's only crime was this incident being made public at a time when Morrison was happy to throw her under a bus as a distraction.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 pm

It is the post office. I own it. So do you. That is public money up, down, or sideways.

David wrote:
someone who is so accustomed to extravagance that she has long since departed from any capacity to recognise how regular people live.

Yes. Exactly.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 pm

It's not public money.

Australia Post is a self funded Government Business Enterprise.

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/2020-australia-post-annual-report.pdf

Giving 4 people reward and recognition to the value of $5k each should only be of concern to small minded people.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Apparently her employment contract allowed her to approve payments of up to $150k without seeking other approval, but the executive as a whole approved of the bonuses of $20k for the 4 watches.
Storm in a teacup. A $20k bonus in relation to $60m is insignificant and not remarkable in any way.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 am

Sorry to get all commie about this, but when did anyone here last get a $5k bonus – for many people, 1–2 months’ wages – for their (I’m sure no less valuable or strenuous) work? How much does the average frontline post office worker get a year, and why can’t they each get a little bonus of $100 or so (which would probably actually mean more to them) if the executives have excess money to splash around? Or maybe customers could have a few cents shaved off their postage fees?

Sure $5k might be loose change to people already in that upper echelon, but maybe let’s not normalise a culture of lavish gifts in the workplace for people who are already swimming in money, and perhaps instead encourage a culture of frugality and humility at the top end. Call it small-mindedness, envy or whatever, but in a society with massive wealth gaps and a declining standard of living, any resentment about expensive watches being handed out in a boardroom is not at all unreasonable in my view. Extravagant watches are a great symbol of excess because we all know that nobody actually needs one, but some people nonetheless get them as random bonuses while others in this country can’t afford essentials. So perhaps we need to be "bullying" these people a great deal more, and not be getting the violin out when the finger of fate lands on them...

Last edited by David on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 am

After she smashed them in the Senate enquiry I expect Scotty's personal Photographer to busy for the next few days. Anyone who had/s Shares in Blackmores appreciates Holgate. The IPA/LNP needed her gone so they could sell Aus Post to their mates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: