Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Yes, I do think there's been a sharp decline in the last four years, no question.

Yes - but I think some of these posts were about Biden? Wink
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:41 am

How are we feeling about President Kamala Harris? Because she'll probably be taking over from Biden before the end of his first term.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:51 am

Nothing too much – she seems like a typical Democrat, for better and for worse. I think it'll be a milestone worth celebrating for the US to finally have a female president, and she should be a fairly safe pair of hands as US leaders go (I also suspect that she will be a somewhat more socially progressive president than her own past as a hardline prosecutor would suggest). I do worry that her foreign policy will be more aggressive than Obama's, but probably no better or worse than Biden’s will be.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:55 am

^Sounds awful.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:40 pm

I think it helps to have extremely low expectations and be pleasantly surprised by anything good that happens. Laughing
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
How are we feeling about President Kamala Harris? Because she'll probably be taking over from Biden before the end of his first term.

If Biden even makes it to a first term

Trump is in it to win it.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm

I see our poll has Trump & Biden neck and neck.Were we on the money or what? Razz
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:

I think it would be brilliant to have a female President. Look forward to this event coming true. It might finally temper the chauvinism a bit.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Just like having a black president reduced racism? Neutral
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm

he tried but he knew just like guns, the mountain is too high, he did help the LGBT cause though, and a small piece from the link below, so maybe a She can help the race problems: a good read:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38536668

"His election triumph is 2008 was also misinterpreted as an act of national atonement for the original sin of slavery and the stain of segregation.

Yet Obama did not win the election because he was a black man. It was primarily because a country facing an economic crisis and embroiled in two unpopular wars was crying out for change.

Doubtless there have been substantive reforms. His two black attorneys general, Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch, have revitalised the work of the justice department's civil rights division, which was dormant during the Bush years.

The Affordable Healthcare Act, or Obamacare, as it was inevitably dubbed, cut the black uninsured rate by a third.

Partly in a bid to reverse the rate of black incarceration, he has commuted the sentences of hundreds of prisoners - 10 times the number of his five predecessors added together.

As well as calling for the closure of private prisons, he became the first president to visit a federal penitentiary. "There but for the grace of God," said a man who had smoked pot and dabbled with cocaine in his youth."

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:49 pm

David wrote:
Just like having a black president reduced racism? Neutral

David of all people you should know that deep seated racism and sexism takes decades to ease off. However I’m of the opinion that having these violated people in positions of power would help demystify them to the perpetrators of hate. The benefits of having positive role models and survivors of such people will help far more than hinder the overall aim of diminishing these vile practices. So all power to these wonderfully brave agents of change casting a huge shadow of positive change in a long held racist and sexist environment. Taking baby steps is better than being constantly pushed backwards with hurdles and rings of fire put in their path. They will never walk alone for too long without active support for their cause in our current world.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:56 pm

This is pathetic even if by late postal votes and judicial miracle Biden falls over the line. The problems for the US are bad enough: division and instability, managerial and governmental incompetence, open corruption, wealth gap blowout, worsening healthcare, pretend jobs and promises that never materialise and make people even angrier, rising fascist and fundamentalist ideology, etc.

But the problems for the rest of us risk spiralling out of control:

1. Global economic suppression to pay for the idiot's mismanagement, which is an immediate loss out of our pockets, but which will continue after a vaccine (meanwhile crushing developing economies and making them less stable);

2. Emboldened crazies and populist hacks like Johnson in the UK and authoritarians like Bolsonaro and Duda, proliferating destructive decisions and bad actors;

3. A complete wrecking of global coordination, meaning Coronavirus will continue to destabilise the world in the near-term, while global warming, species loss, and fossil fuels conflict worsen; and

4. A strengthening of the position of Chinese hardliners as they leverage Trump's destructive protectionism, appalling character and flaky dabbling as cover for pretty much anything.

China's hardliners being strengthened by Trump is one thing, but the US itself is now a complete menace. It's increasingly obvious that the rest of the world needs to decouple from it and then quarantine its impact. It's a bloody nightmare of a place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85
Page 85 of 85   

Jump to: