Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Eagles. Elimination Final.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Cam wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The game will be won or lost in the midfield. While Nit Nat should easily win the hitouts, Grundy must become a monster ruck rover, throwing his body around to open up pathways for Pendles, Adams and Treloar. If we can at least hold our own in the midfield we can win the game. We have a great defence and De Goey, Cox and Mihocek are all capable of kicking multiple goals.

Pies by 8 points.

Modern football is all about ball movement. We could lose every single midfield confrontation and still win the game. The Nazis won every single battle engagement against the Russians in WWII and still lost the war. It's all about absorbing punishment, preventing decimation in the back line and moving the ball into the forward line and kicking the goals necessary to win the game. The first part we're good at. We have one of the best back lines in the league. We absorb punishment well and move the ball back from defense. The second bit we're bad at. We don't make position well against good defenders and don't move the ball fast enough back into attack to make the defenders pay. If we had younger players with faster legs we could beat WCE but with players like Varcoe who doesn't make position and players like Greenwood and Thomas who WCE are going to exploit because of their lack of pace, I don't think we're going to win.

I like it! That damn bird's nest can be our Battle of Stalingrad! [erm didn't the Russkies win that one...] Anyway, I hope Bucks isn't afraid to rotate Grundy and Cox through the middle for ball ups. Coxy seems angrier the last month and his holding his own better, he's going to need to be up and about against the pushing/holding of Barass though. And rotate De Goey through the middle as well. How this game goes down could well determine Buckley's future as coach, one way or another. His look in the coaches box late last game reminded me of Malthouse in 2011.

Yes, the Russians held on in their defence of Stalingrad but due to the lack of food & freezing conditions the death toll mounted, resulted in dead Russians being eaten by the living. Noble is probably the smallest, do his team mates start with him?

The game against the Eagles reminds me more of the Russians battle to defend Kursk, where the previously impregnable German Panzer Divisions, were overwhelmed by the Red Army's 5000 T-42 Tanks and almost 1.5 million men. The Red Army then went on to chase the NAZIS all the way to Berlin.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
We need a good start. Without a good start ( any sort of lead at half time ) then a difficult task against good opposition becomes close to impossible.
We will also get our looks on goal, so we need to take our chances in front of the sticks.
The way to remain in the hunt against good opposition doesn’t really change much.
- get off to a good start
- apply more pressure than the opposition for longer ( because pressure dictates ball movement )
- maximise your opportunities from inside 50 ( but you need deeper entries to make this an easier exercise )

That’s actually not too much to ask. Get those three points right and anything could happen but execute any one of them poorly and it’s game over by half time.

True. If we could get off to a flyer and kick the first couple that'd get the boys up and about. I think having Stevo deep in the forward line could help facilitate that. Get it in quick and give him space to use his speed.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Cam wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The game will be won or lost in the midfield. While Nit Nat should easily win the hitouts, Grundy must become a monster ruck rover, throwing his body around to open up pathways for Pendles, Adams and Treloar. If we can at least hold our own in the midfield we can win the game. We have a great defence and De Goey, Cox and Mihocek are all capable of kicking multiple goals.

Pies by 8 points.

Modern football is all about ball movement. We could lose every single midfield confrontation and still win the game. The Nazis won every single battle engagement against the Russians in WWII and still lost the war. It's all about absorbing punishment, preventing decimation in the back line and moving the ball into the forward line and kicking the goals necessary to win the game. The first part we're good at. We have one of the best back lines in the league. We absorb punishment well and move the ball back from defense. The second bit we're bad at. We don't make position well against good defenders and don't move the ball fast enough back into attack to make the defenders pay. If we had younger players with faster legs we could beat WCE but with players like Varcoe who doesn't make position and players like Greenwood and Thomas who WCE are going to exploit because of their lack of pace, I don't think we're going to win.

I like it! That damn bird's nest can be our Battle of Stalingrad! [erm didn't the Russkies win that one...] Anyway, I hope Bucks isn't afraid to rotate Grundy and Cox through the middle for ball ups. Coxy seems angrier the last month and his holding his own better, he's going to need to be up and about against the pushing/holding of Barass though. And rotate De Goey through the middle as well. How this game goes down could well determine Buckley's future as coach, one way or another. His look in the coaches box late last game reminded me of Malthouse in 2011.

Yes, the Russians held on in their defence of Stalingrad but due to the lack of food & freezing conditions the death toll mounted, resulted in dead Russians being eaten by the living. Noble is probably the smallest, do his team mates start with him?

The game against the Eagles reminds me more of the Russians battle to defend Kursk, where the previously impregnable German Panzer Divisions, were overwhelmed by the Red Army's 5000 T-42 Tanks and almost 1.5 million men. The Red Army then went on to chase the NAZIS all the way to Berlin.

Unfortunately our chances of winning this game seem more akin to the fate of Kursk, the submarine.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm

One could look on the match the Collingwood Football Club is facing in WA with the same ambivalent expectations as one might apply to, say, seeing a once favorite band play in concert. You know how it is - they played the sort of music you love, but the band’s last album was a friggin stinker (make up your own story here - remember Dylan goin’ electric. Farrrk!).

But anyway ,you cough up the entrance price to see the next gig. You kind of hope that they are the same group that you once knew and loved - the same spirit that was there with you at all those secretly important life events all those long years ago. But really you go without any expectations at all, (is hope an expectation?), except perhaps to confirm your deeper fears that they’ve become as shite as what the whole damn world has become. Another loss.

But then, the lights go up and its show time. The guys turn up like its Woodstock, or Sunbury, or Glastonbury. It’s an epiphany, a reawakening of the spirit. And you stand there and watch and listen, living in that moment, and you know that in years to come people will talk about the battle of West Coast and Collingwood in the Covid year of 2020.

And the old men of Collingwood will smile and nod and say this was a clubman’s win. This was a day when Collingwood stood proud.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 pm

^^^^^^

Would love this to become a true event. I feel like a rotten mongrel for deep down knowing that for this to happen is an extremely low chance. I have never had such an intense fight between my head and heart. It is driving me bloody nuts! I dearly want my heart to win. Please God let this happen 🙏🏾🙏🏾

Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 pm

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles-forced-quarantine-due-to-collingwood-dirty-claim-from-wa-government/dde0f3d2-9a77-4e62-afbd-a528baf5f284?ocid=Social-AFLFS

Now things are starting to heat up!

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:45 pm

Magpiefan3 wrote:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles-forced-quarantine-due-to-collingwood-dirty-claim-from-wa-government/dde0f3d2-9a77-4e62-afbd-a528baf5f284?ocid=Social-AFLFS

Now things are starting to heat up!

https://youtu.be/UIE4UjBtx-o We come on to the ground with this cranking and head straight into those cocky pricks , and kick kennedy in this shit ankle!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:02 am

West Coast seem to have the wood over us in the last couple of years. Only have beaten them 3 times since 2016.

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 am

Need to play Cox and Checkers high and the smalls deep, DeGoey, Stephenson, JT, Varcoe. Barras and McGovern will beat our Talls.

Long down the line if we have to when the switch isn't on from defence or the wing. Then either sharp pass to leading targets or dirty ball into F50.

Long kicks with hang time inside 50 with their tall defenders outnumbering us is footy stupidity. A mongrel along the ground is better than a high dump kick. Kaos balls are the go, if we can't hit a leading option. Our small forwards is what will upset their defence.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am

The game style has to be manic pressure and get it forward at all costs.
Sitting back and chipping around will play into their hands.

Richmond consistently beat the Eagles with this game style. They back their teammates to beat their opponents 1x1 rather than wait for the Eagles to set their defence.

Long high balls forward is not the answer. We need quick ball movement and dirty ball to a contest. Providing we get the numbers there, we are a good chance to score.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:03 am

Agreed. I’d be inclined to instruct mongrel finger breakers I50, but we don’t have the balls to do this, cos it’d be admitting defeat for Buckley.

No, it’s simply admitting that in today’s guard space defence game, McGovern is the greatest player to ever play such a role.

If Treloar kicks low I50 in the 2018 GF, we might hold on to win. Instead he launches a high ball that is picked off by McGovern, and the rest is history.

I’ve seen enough WCE games to know you don’t kick long and high I50 anywhere near McGovern. If we do from the get go, the TV will be turned off pretty quickly.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm

^^^
Just our luck the boys will start playing on quickly and getting the ball inside 50 to a one on one with Mcg and Cox then a rebound slingshot coming the other way.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Nathan Buckley interviewed by Gerard Whateley this morning on SEN radio.

Podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=738598
Larry 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Any other WA based supporters get tickets?
Could only use WA based bar codes, so couldn’t get extra tickets. I don’t think there will be many pies there.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Larry wrote:
Any other WA based supporters get tickets?
Could only use WA based bar codes, so couldn’t get extra tickets. I don’t think there will be many pies there.

i gave skids my barcodes as clearly me and junior cant go, and he could not use them either. we were told even though we got 50% back on our memberships that we would still get full benefits if things change. seems pretty shitty,

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23   

Jump to: