Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Danny Frawley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

shawthing wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
That's because Shawthing that mental illness, especially depression, doesn't care if you are stinking rich, poor or getting by nicely. It may be brought on to some degree by the stress of external factors, but it's the internal workings of the mind that go awry and then take on their own independent existence, entirely separate from the reality of the outside world.

I understand that, but for God's sake spare a thought for his widow and three daughters. In their position I'd be thinking, geez you loved us so much you left us like this? Confused

He had far more going for him than most people. I've lost three sons from a previous marriage - barely see two of them, and one is totally estranged. I'd do anything to put the past behind me and restore the family unit again. Alas, all too late. But I'm still here!

Maybe maybe not. I used to think that way, and then one of my daughters best friends could not see her way past that day, if only she saw how much she was loved and how badly we still miss her....

Apparently someone asked suicide attempt survivors if they had changed their mind, or when had they changed their mind, and most said as soon as I let go of the railing...

I tell my kids, and myself sometimes, no matter how bad this feels right now, it will pass, you just have to hang on through it

Sadly, some can’t. I still get where your coming from, and I find the idea of it horrifying, especially his chosen method, but how desperate must he have felt to do that? His wife is pleading for those who want to go off their meds to talk to a doctor first. Of course She’s right. However, Fiona did do that, but she got the wrong doctor...

I don’t judge anymore.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 am

shawthing wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
That's because Shawthing that mental illness, especially depression, doesn't care if you are stinking rich, poor or getting by nicely. It may be brought on to some degree by the stress of external factors, but it's the internal workings of the mind that go awry and then take on their own independent existence, entirely separate from the reality of the outside world.

I understand that, but for God's sake spare a thought for his widow and three daughters. In their position I'd be thinking, geez you loved us so much you left us like this? Confused

He had far more going for him than most people. I've lost three sons from a previous marriage - barely see two of them, and one is totally estranged. I'd do anything to put the past behind me and restore the family unit again. Alas, all too late. But I'm still here!

Shawthing, it's impossible to know what's in the mind of someone at the time of contemplating suicide and therefore, to judge them for it. He may even have mistakenly believed he had become too much of a burden to his family and was doing the best thing for them.

Of course, any person with any empathy would feel for his family!! That goes without saying surely. If I were in their position, I too would furious that someone who professed to love me so much chose to leave me behind!! A natural, initial reaction. However, it's also possible that his family are thoroughly educated and acquainted with the erratic, distorted thinking of the depressed mind and can understand and forgive better than some. Anita's brave statement seems to suggest this. Certainly, I do hope so, for their long term ability to cope with the tragedy that has happened to them.

Yes, outwardly he did seem to have more going for him than most people, but that's assessing it from a complete outsider's point of view. Plus, as I tried to explain, what's in one's external environment can have little bearing on what goes on within the depths of a depressed mind.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 am

think positive wrote:

I tell my kids, and myself sometimes, no matter how bad this feels right now, it will pass, you just have to hang on through it....

Sadly, some can’t.....

I don’t judge anymore.

Very well said TP.

I find it as illogical to judge someone for dying as a result of depression, as it is to judge for them for succumbing to any other illness.
MagpieWhisperer35 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Compassion not judgement. That article brought tears to the eyes and it is terribly sad, and the only emotion I feel for those in enough pain to commit suicide is empathy. I have been off my meds now for 7 yrs and when I decided to go off em the psych and doc said I would be at high risk of suicide, however I chose this path out of a desire to be completely alcohol and drug free and experience all the emotions the pills were covering up and turning me into a zombie, and still it is a daily struggle and my poor wife is very patient but i can say this, when I heard the terrible news, I knew instantly what had happened and I understood completely, the pain of the black dog has no words to describe. RIP Danny
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:42 pm

hugs, thats a very honest painful post, i wish you well xx
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 am

He was suffering from CTE:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/danny-frawley-was-suffering-from-chronic-brain-disease-when-he-died-20200831-p55r3k.html
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 am

Today marks the first anniversary of his death and tomorrow is R U OK Day.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:24 pm

If it had happened this year, no doubt they would find a way to pin it to C-19 virus.

Vale the great Spud.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: