Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Suns. All comments, please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Doubt it, just a bad night. Especially those Maynard screw ups.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Wasn’t a great game from Varcoe but I feel that he did a lot of 1%’s that went unnoticed. He had a hand in at least 2 goals.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:

If we dish up that sort of performance in the finals then we'll get pummeled, make no mistake. Good teams make you pay. The suns didn't because they're young and relatively inexperienced at the moment. What amazes me is that NB continues to persist with an ineffective game plan. Our only hope is that the players throw his manual out the window and go for broke. The top 4 teams are top 4 for a reason. We're MOR and it ain't good enough. Our first 5 inside 50s in the last quarter went straight to suns players - that's how bad our ball use is. Long high up and under kicks sideways, short kicks back or sideways, handballs to blokes under immense pressure only for someone to slam it forward to an opposition player. Hell I even saw our players spinning around in f***ing circles.

Haha, saw that and couldn't help but think Bucks had got some extra assistance in the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCbMXhuHaU
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm
Post subject: Re: pies v sunsReply with quote

David wrote:
orie wrote:
I also question Moore's decision making and kicking too. Last minutes of the game and chooses to ignore a team mate in the clear near the boundary to kick it inboard to a contest which the suns win.
Why? Frustrating part of his game.
Even Madgen had a go at him earlier. There's a player who is growing in his position.

Pretty sure that was Crisp, wasn't it?

That was certainly my recollection
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 am

Lazza wrote:
Wasn’t a great game from Varcoe but I feel that he did a lot of 1%’s that went unnoticed. He had a hand in at least 2 goals.

Yes, he applied good physical pressure

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 am

Sicks Bux wrote:
...When a gun player performs week in and week out it's taken for granted. When an inconsistent or emerging player has a solid game "BOG'.

The very thing that cost Buckley multiple Brownlows (and Copelands - Licuria better than Buckley in those years? Not as I saw it)

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:10 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
Happy for the win but typical Collingwood only knows one way and that's the hard way. A better side would've put the suns down at HT, run them ragged and then put the cue in the rack. What do we do? Play slow with a defensive mindset which allows the opposition to double back and flood.

I think you're showing contempt for the opposition here - GCS this year are not the easy beats they were in past seasons. They have worried many sides this year, with most just pulling away in the last as we did (e.g. Richmond). This was a good win that required us to lift at crucial stages to win it - that was a good sign (think of the pressure we applied to them late in the 3rd - awesome!)

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am

^^^^^^^

Totally agree. A few here don’t seem to respect the opposition and the fact that most of these teams really fire up and play their “season grand final” against us. Years ago it used to be only Melbourne that did this but now other clubs do this as well. I appreciate all wins irrespective of the opposition’s ladder position or the winning margin.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:28 am

Lazza wrote:

Unfortunately his stats from the last 3 years are way down.
In 2018 and 2019 I did some analysis for another thread and it showed about a 35% decline on disposals.
On Monday night he got 8 disposals, 1 tackle no goals and 1 "1%".
As someone said he looks really really busy and almost makes it to the next context but rarely impacts it.
I like Varcoe but he really is a player that is over the hill and I doubt whether he can do a JOB say defensive forward and win a majority of the time.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 am

masoncox wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Unfortunately his stats from the last 3 years are way down.
In 2018 and 2019 I did some analysis for another thread and it showed about a 35% decline on disposals.
On Monday night he got 8 disposals, 1 tackle no goals and 1 "1%".
As someone said he looks really really busy and almost makes it to the next context but rarely impacts it.
I like Varcoe but he really is a player that is over the hill and I doubt whether he can do a JOB say defensive forward and win a majority of the time.

You summarized it perfectly. Varcoe has had a wonderful career and now unfortunately it's over for him but people don't want to accept the obvious that it's time for the team to choose someone else. Instead they prefer to have shots at Stephenson, Cox, Moore and De Goey, who are all match winners when they're on song. Difficult to work out Collingwood supporters at times.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

Time to say thanks to al the older guys and bring in young blokes. Malthouse did it in 2010 with Fraser, O'Bree and Lockyer and look how that turned out.

Varcoe, Thomas and possibly Greenwood are right on that edge.

Varcoe and Thomas just don't offer anything at present and being tough is not enough for Greenwood. You hate calling time on careers but you need to be ruthless to get somewhere, not gift games based on prior history.

You may or may not agree but we have been an "old boys" club for way too long. Time to get serious.

There are also a number of players who should either retire or be moved on.

Reid - enough said
Dunn - been great but it's over
Broomhead - been there as long as Grundy and still struggles
Scharenburg - very unfortunate as could have been great
Lynch - 5 years is long enough
Wills - too long
Appleby - also too long

Some of these will be forced due to the list size decreasing so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Agree with the above and I’d add another one in Sier. He continually breaks down and when he plays you don’t notice him after half time. It’s time to cut our losses with these players and be ruthless because that’s how to win premierships.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Lazza wrote:
...the fact that most of these teams really fire up and play their “season grand final” against us. Years ago it used to be only Melbourne that did this but now other clubs do this as well. ...

I doubt this is true. Except for one or two clubs, it's just 4 points to them, just like playing against any other club.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 am

K wrote:
Lazza wrote:
...the fact that most of these teams really fire up and play their “season grand final” against us. Years ago it used to be only Melbourne that did this but now other clubs do this as well. ...

I doubt this is true. Except for one or two clubs, it's just 4 points to them, just like playing against any other club.

I have to concur with Lazza that Melbourne does this - the big hoo haa they put on for their Queen's Birthday clash - perhaps that will change when it becomes our home game every other year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: