Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Renaming the Washington Redskins (And possibly other teams)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pm
Post subject: Renaming the Washington Redskins (And possibly other teams)Reply with quote

Native American Groups Ask NFL to Force Redskins Name Change:
https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/07/06/native-american-groups-ask-nfl-to-force-redskins-name-change/

Donald Trump defends Redskins, Indians team names:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29418948/donald-trump-defends-redskins-indians-team-names

Washington Redskins, NFL under more pressure to change offensive team name, Donald Trump chimes in:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-07/washingtons-redskins-nfl-name-change-donald-trump/12428642

This is the team I support. Partially because Sav Rocca went there as a punter and partially because my cousin was raised near Washington and supports this team rather passionately.

This topic has been raised many times in the past. But with the current President adding his 2 cents and everything going on out there, I think they will be forced to change the name.

What will be a good name for the rebranded Washington team? And will the colours stay the same?

The Cleveland Indians of the MLB, the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL and the Kansas City Chiefs also of the NFL have all come under scrutiny for their teams name and may also find themselves with the task of rebranding the team. The Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL have also come under fire.

Last edited by Presti35 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the New Orlean saints should change as being offensive to non christians.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:48 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/washington-redskins-officially-retire-name-and-logo-after-sponsor-backlash.html

Quote:
Wasington, D.C.'s NFL team announced Monday that it will retire its former name and logo after a backlash from sponsors and retail partners in recent weeks.
The team did not reveal a new name and logo.

Its official now.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:18 pm

How about the Groundhogs? Or is that too close to the bone?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Oh dear me. Such stupidity to appease those who choose to be offended so easily. If they only removed the chips off their shoulders rather than having the whole world adapt to their issues. What ever happened to let and let live? Minding your own business? Mutually accepting and celebrating differences rather than highliting intolerance?
I guess I saw Political Correctness for the wild and dangerous animal it was over my long period of employment and now in retirement, I have absolutely no time to stuff around not calling things for what they are. My opinion belongs to me and they can do what they want with it but I will still own my opinion whatever happens. I have finally stopped performing for the sake of others.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Renaming the Washington RedskinsReply with quote

Well it's done. I must say I've lost a bit of interest in NFL now. I'm glad I got to see them play when they came to London a few years back, even though it was a tie.

All eyes will move to the Blackhawks of the NHL and the Cleveland Indians of the MLB. Will the Kansas City Chiefs need to change too? Their logos and mascots are all native American themed.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/13/indians-braves-chiefs-us-sports-teams-name-changes-native-americans

Quote:
Cleveland’s baseball team have indicated a name change is likely, although they did not explicitly say so when they issued a statement earlier this month on the subject.

Atlanta’s baseball team, who adopted their nickname in 1912 when they were based in Boston, sent an email to season-ticket holders on Sunday saying they had no plans to adopt a new name.

The Chiefs are one of the most high-profile teams in the US after winning the Super Bowl in February. However, they have yet to issue a statement on the future of their name. The team’s home is named the Arrowhead Stadium, their mascot is a horse called Warpaint, and fans perform the tomahawk chop at games and dress in Native American costumes.

The six-time Stanley Cup champions say they have no intention of changing their name, as it honors a historical figure, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in Illinois history.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm

My cousin is partly native American and she supported Washington. There was no issue there. However, in a previous job, I worked with a man who had a native American heritage and he wanted the name changed.

It's been talked about for some time. Some deem it racist. Some deem it insensitive. Some dont think anything of it.

I wonder if the new name have any native feel to it? Or if they'll go completely the other way? Will the colours stay the same?

K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Any news on this?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:59 pm

^ Not really.

Just playing this season as "Washington Football Team".

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/washington-football-team-new-name/1vxumqhj5n2r51b2pls5dc7nxt

They did get a win over the Eagles in week 1 though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqJoTdaKB0&feature=onebox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: