Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
Abstract:
Twenty-five years has passed since the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (RCIADIC). This paper examines the trends and characteristics of Indigenous deaths in custody since 1991–92, using data obtained through the National Deaths in Custody Program (NDICP). NDICP data show Indigenous people are now less likely than non-Indigenous people to die in prison custody, largely due to a decrease in the death rate of Indigenous prisoners from 1999–2000 to 2005–06. Coinciding with this decrease in the death rate of Indigenous prisoners is a decrease in the hanging death rate of Indigenous prisoners. Monitoring trends and characteristics of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous deaths in custody supports the development of proactive strategies addressing this important issue.

Published last year, I haven't read it yet, I'm sure it's just more racist propaganda.

https://aic.gov.au/publications/sb/sb17

I just had a quick look at that - looks worth reading for sure.

On thing that jumped out at me was the categories

Deaths in police custody are further divided into two categories:

Category 1: deaths in institutional settings (eg police stations, police vehicles, or in hospitals, following transfer from an institution) and other deaths in police operations where officers were in close contact with the deceased (eg most raids and shootings by police).

• Category 2: other deaths in custody-related police operations where officers were not in close contact with the deceased (eg most sieges, pursuits)

So (and I acknowledge I need to read more and will) does that mean that if someone is transferred to hospital with say a cardiac arrest, kidney failure, chest infecton etc etc and they die that is included in the death in custody stats that are currently being trotted out? If so can't see how you can blame cops/prison officers for that Confused

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Why are sharks killed when they attack a surfer / swimmer.

What exactly did the shark do to deserve to die?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
Abstract:
Twenty-five years has passed since the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (RCIADIC). This paper examines the trends and characteristics of Indigenous deaths in custody since 1991–92, using data obtained through the National Deaths in Custody Program (NDICP). NDICP data show Indigenous people are now less likely than non-Indigenous people to die in prison custody, largely due to a decrease in the death rate of Indigenous prisoners from 1999–2000 to 2005–06. Coinciding with this decrease in the death rate of Indigenous prisoners is a decrease in the hanging death rate of Indigenous prisoners. Monitoring trends and characteristics of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous deaths in custody supports the development of proactive strategies addressing this important issue.

Published last year, I haven't read it yet, I'm sure it's just more racist propaganda.

Category 1: deaths in institutional settings (eg police stations, police vehicles, or in hospitals, following transfer from an institution) and other deaths in police operations where officers were in close contact with the deceased (eg most raids and shootings by police).

• Category 2: other deaths in custody-related police operations where officers were not in close contact with the deceased (eg most sieges, pursuits)

So (and I acknowledge I need to read more and will) does that mean that if someone is transferred to hospital with say a cardiac arrest, kidney failure, chest infecton etc etc and they die that is included in the death in custody stats that are currently being trotted out? If so can't see how you can blame cops/prison officers for that Confused

From some of the pre reading I did, there's a whole lot of categories of death that have minimal correlation with being in custody, that's just where they happened and that's irrelevant of race

What'sinaname wrote:
Why are sharks killed when they attack a surfer / swimmer.

What exactly did the shark do to deserve to die?

Rule No 1, only go in the ocean when you're either in too shallow water for a Great White to get you, or go where there's lots of other prey for them to pick from. I only ocean swim in Port Douglas, just gotta hope the crocs are full from eating jellyfish. Shocked

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:02 pm

I always make sure there is a juicier option than me further out to sea! And no, they should not be killed. It shits me to tears.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:11 pm

As Harry Butler used to say, "Pick them up, pat them and put them back."
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:50 pm

It would come from the thinking they use with other predators, that the shark will get a taste for manflesh and keep hunting us. While it's true for big cats I don't think sharks even like the taste of us Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:09 pm

It’s been proven they don’t, they usually take a bite spit it out and move on.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Always wonder why people dress to look like a seal before they go surfing?

Not the sharpest tools

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Yep! Got a couple of covid kg to loose before I hit the waves again!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:10 am

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
Abstract:

Yep, also if they crash their car and die that's counted as a death in custody.

But its all those brutal police officers going out of their way to murder poor innocent victims.

But in all seriousness, reading the report there were 25 deaths in that period that were homicide of which 16 were justifiable homicide.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Hmmm this tops all previous WTFs I’ve ever thought or even imagined.

Pneumatic tube system used to transport specimens etc between clinical areas and the lab etc - I know I’ll put a placenta in a plastic bucket ( not even in a tube canister) put it in the PTS and press go - what could possibly go wrong Shocked Rolling Eyes

You couldn’t make it up - WTF indeed!!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Umm do you have a link?

I'm just imagining cleaning the tube system after it's been plastered with bloody goop. Shocked

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm

^ yeah a Code Yellow and Riskman Wink Rolling Eyes
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:34 pm

ewww, i used to love footscray hospital cafeteria, i might give it a miss now!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 pm

^ nah not there so all good Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 2 of 66   

Jump to: