Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood, the AFL and the Virus.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

makri wrote:
Very unlikely that this will get signed off by the players.

If they want their money (only 30% cut) they're going to have to sign off on something.

I sympathize with those with small children, but the rest not so much.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:39 pm

The whole notion that a list "cut" will be required might actually be a misnomer and what will actually occur is that more players will have to be moved to a reserve list and that will be accompanied by a significantly less base wage like we already see with rookie listed players.

In this situation I imagine there will be some mechanism put in place in which those players who find themselves suddenly off the senior list could explore their options elsewhere prior to any possible re-signing.

As I and others have noted previously when your sport is fully body contact and fields a team of 22 each week it would simply be implausible to cut list numbers drastically as a lot of teams could find themselves unable to find 22 fit bodies during stages of season owing to long injury lists.

If the salary cap is set for a dramatic reduction from season 2021 and beyond and this reduction isn't achieved merely by moving players to a reserve list at a lower rate of pay then it's hard not to wonder how it can be achieved without all player contracts being torn up. A one size fits all approach would be the easiest solution seemingly whereby the percentage that the total salary cap is reduced by (or still needs to be reduced by) is then applied at the same rate to every player on the senior list.

With 18 clubs and 38 players minimum required on the senior list I think most would agree the talent pool has been spread to thin for years and club senior lists are clogged with banged up senior players well past their prime and young hopefuls who sadly just aren't likely to make it whether that be because of talent level, continual injury setback or lack of opportunity in the position they play. Being able to move more players in this category to a reserve list in order to save a club money makes sense to me and is a potential positive outcome for the game if you're looking for one.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:11 am

It's possible of course that in 5 or 10 years, the game will look like it did before the mid 90s, with players all semi-professional.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 am

swoop42 wrote:
A one size fits all approach would be the easiest solution seemingly whereby the percentage that the total salary cap is reduced by (or still needs to be reduced by) is then applied at the same rate to every player on the senior list

IMHO a sliding scale would be fairer, like income tax brackets

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Prospect of no spectators is real in 2020 my main concern is for the hospitality industry as a whole in particular the pubs and bars and restaurants keep them alive please
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:31 am

How AFL quarantine hubs could work

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-afl-quarantine-hubs-could-work-20200411-p54j0b.html
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 pm

hub thing will be knocked on the head I cant see it going ahead.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Could be aiming for a July re-start.

I was thinking QBH could be the start to round 2, which would have been nice, but thats in June!

We could possibly be having a summer GF.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:22 pm

July re-start is about right.

Word from country footy leagues and AFL Vic is no footy before then.
Also takes into account May being the expected peak for virus and a month for ‘pre-season’.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

All I know there going to a lot of sorting out and the sorting out to do will probably be bigger then the problem. Currently the hub idea is the best but I feel it will be dismissed my health authoritys and government. But its worth a try though. 17 rounds in 3 months july-sept seams impossible need to think about players not getting burnt out either seams to be a lot of rounds squeezed in. Of course we need to think about the cricket too they have booked the mcg for the t20 world cup they were the first to book the mcg too they have first pick I feel.
Was going for a walk around the mcg this morning nice day for a walk too the place is derelict and needs a lot of work done too a few people out having a walk.
MCG are only having a few maintence staff there during the week and checks on the ground itself today the sprinkers were on.
Had a brief word to one of the grounds staff they said looks like the next fixture at the mcg will be maybe cricket but is still hoping of a grand final at the mcg this year.
As said theres a lot to negotiate and sort out and plan. Like everything during this covid life we have currently.
Everything is up in the air with no certain plan/s.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:13 pm

From the past in the age.
Collingwood have confirmed they are leaving the gaming industry, having agreed to sell their 156 poker machines to the Melbourne Racing Club.

As flagged exclusively by Fairfax Media in February, the Pies will sell the licence for their two venues, Ringwood’s The Coach and Horses and The Club in Caroline Springs, with settlement expected to take place in October.

Said Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

Collingwood had already ceased operation of their Magpie Millions lottery, meaning the club will move away from gaming completely.

This is a prudent commercial decision, one that will strengthen the Collingwood balance sheet significantly,” club president Eddie McGuire said.

“The forensic review of the entire Collingwood operation last year, and the ‘Forever’ blueprint which came out of it, gave us greater clarity and a renewed sense of purpose but also identified numerous opportunities.

Great call Eddie
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:59 pm

I don't believe the T20 World Cup is as certain as some people seem to think it is.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi have any of us had any dealings with footy fan direct a footy merchandise company I brought a Collingwood jersey last week but I do not want it I want a refund I ordered it last Thursday. I called them they said they were temp closed.
Please let me know thanks.
All I know they are based in Melbourne I think south yarra I think.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:20 pm

90 nice wrote:
Hi have any of us had any dealings with footy fan direct a footy merchandise company I brought a Collingwood jersey last week but I do not want it I want a refund I ordered it last Thursday. I called them they said they were temp closed.
Please let me know thanks.
All I know they are based in Melbourne I think south yarra I think.

These posts are the grammatical equivalent of looking into the Sun. We know we shouldn't but it's there everyday, so it's very difficult to avoid.
I welcome your passion, but please, before your next post, use this period to upskill your punctuation and grammar. It'll be a enduring legacy for all concerned.

https://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/teachingresources/discipline/english/literacy/writing/Pages/litfocuspunctuation.aspx

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Former (ahem...) Collingwood player Tony Elshaug has been laid off by Essendon. (We were really desperate for a rover in those days...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 34 of 60   

Jump to: