Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tottenham Hotspur (Conte sacked)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Post subject: Tottenham Hotspur (Conte sacked)Reply with quote

Tottenham sack Pochettino and appoint Mourinho in the space of 12 hours Shocked

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/november/jose-mourinho-appointed-new-head-coach/

Last edited by Jezza on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

P. Hayward, Telegraph, London:

Spurs have ripped up a five-year manifesto for Jose's worldview

"Cheerio, the old Tottenham Hotspur, where the heart mattered as much as the head and Mauricio Pochettino promoted academy players as an article of faith. In the book he wrote with Guillem Balague, Brave New World, the now former Spurs manager said: "My team and I love helping young players. It's like planting a tree, watering it and watching it grow. All the fruit that it bears comes from the land and environment that you put in place."

You could run too far with the idea that Pochettino was a dreamer. But overnight, Tottenham have ripped up everything they represented to embrace Jose Mourinho's worldview. The club's identity has been rewritten in favour of experience, trophies, calculation and the kind of upscale cynicism the new leader brings.

Spot the disconnect. Mourinho's spending on transfers in English football is calculated by Sky Sports to be £925 million ($1760 million), while Daniel Levy's outlay in charge of Spurs since 2001 runs "only" to £876 million. Unless Mourinho has changed his approach to management or Levy is sick to death of prudence, Spurs will have to be revived without tens of millions of pounds being thrown at a Romelu Lukaku or a Fred.

Youth opportunities will be a back-burner topic in the first year while Mourinho is chasing a Champions League placing. But it will not go away. As for the style of play, there was no better encapsulation of his managerial thinking than this, from his second spell at Chelsea: "I am not a fundamentalist in football. What I mean is that in football, you have your ideas, you die with your ideas? No. People ask me: what is your model of play? I say: model of what?" Mourinho was wincing as he said this. "Model of play against who? When? With which players? Model of play what?" "
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 am

'Ole Gunnar Solskjær has said he is not threatened by Mauricio Pochettino being out of work despite the Argentinian previously being a candidate for the Manchester United job.

The United manager said: “No, it doesn’t bother me at all because I’ve got the best job in the world and I’m sure that if you’re in or out of a job and you are a manager, you would want this job. So it doesn’t really matter whatever happens around it.

“I’ve got to focus on my job at Man United, do it as well as we can, I speak with Ed and the owners all the time about how we are going to move the club forward. That doesn’t change if some other clubs change their managers.” '

(Guardian)
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 am

"According to The Athletic, United have already met with Pochettino to discuss a potential move but the prospect of paying £42 million in compensation to Spurs in order to land the Argentine was a major stumbling block.

But the report also claims that United are ‘committed’ to Solskjaer’s reign and are backing his ‘long-term vision’. Woodward is also said to have been impressed during following a conversation with Solskjaer last December in which the Norwegian showed a flip chart of what his United side could look like in the next three years. United’s executive vice-chairman is also said to have been warned by Solskjaer last season that his team would suffer a dip in form at some point."
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Percentage of teams who change coaches each season, selected leagues, 2015-2019

EPL 57%
BBL 30%
NBA 24%
AFL Historical 19%
NRL 16%
MLB 16%
AFL 9%

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-17/what-is-the-safest-top-job-in-world-sport/11313372
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:24 pm

English Soccer Is Hopelessly Addicted to José Mourinho

England just can’t quit the Portuguese coach. But is Tottenham Hotspur right to bet its future on a man whose best days may be behind him?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/20/sports/Jose-mourinho-spurs-tottenham.html

"José Mourinho has been keeping himself busy. It has been almost a year since he finally checked out of the Lowry Hotel, his tumultuous, compelling and not entirely unsuccessful time at Manchester United at an end. He had not necessarily planned a sabbatical, though by the time he left Old Trafford, he rather gave the impression he might welcome one.

Even after all this time, that phrase — the Special One — is still indelibly associated with him. It is his public persona, both self-styled and externally imposed, both his catchphrase and his nickname, an accepted substitute for his name when newspapers indulge in elegant variation.

It has survived the unhappy denouements of his last three jobs: at Real Madrid, a return to Chelsea, and then United, three clubs at which he lost first his players’ faith and then control. It has endured an ever-decreasing trophy return and his failure to live up to his own guarantee of success. ...

It has done so because English soccer is addicted to Mourinho — hopelessly, forlornly, destructively in love with Mourinho, unable to form a lasting bond with anyone quite so intensely as Mourinho.

His glittering record, of course, explains part of that fixation, but there is something else, too. Mourinho bridges the divide between the old conception of what a manager should be — an omniscient potentate, his fingerprints on every aspect of day-to-day life at a club, not answerable to a sporting director or a recruitment committee — and the more modern vision of what one should look like: handsome, charismatic, all brooding intensity.

He is box office, too, the quality the Premier League prizes above all others. He is a recidivist for mind games — that puerile playground taunting that falls somewhere between boxers’ trash talk and a movie trailer — and, when no particular foe presents themselves, he is more than capable of arguing with himself, his players, even his owner. There is nobody better at keeping the plotlines bubbling in a quiet week.

At United, Mourinho fell out with his superiors over a failure to invest heavily in the squad. Though he resents the idea that he does not develop young players, he has always been plain in his belief that what matters most is winning now.

Spurs, where Levy is famously parsimonious, refusing to approve moves for anyone too old to maintain a resale value, where several current players are considering their next move, and where Pochettino had identified a need for a rebuilding job, does not immediately look to be a natural home for the new boss.

Mourinho is, undoubtedly, the finest coach of his generation. What is not clear, at this point — and what his time at Spurs may answer — is whether that is the current generation or not.

In the soap opera of the Premier League, they too are being asked to act like everything that came before was just a dream. Both are being asked to test their loyalty to the limit, and all because, when any elite club in England starts to struggle, thoughts inexorably drift to Mourinho, to the Special One, to a love that conquers all, an addiction that cannot be beaten."
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:00 pm

Mourinho was yellow-carded after an altercation with the Southampton staff.

He is quoted as saying after the game:

"I was rude. But I was rude with an idiot."
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Mourinho up to his old tricks again Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm

'"Jose is not really a Tottenham fit," said Jamie Redknapp. "He's a winner when you look at his record, but this is going to be hard for him here. These fans want to see a bit of style. They want to see their team get on the front foot."

"We used to call these kind of performances Mourinho masterclasses, but I think the game has changed now," added Neville. "With Pep Guardiola's introduction, with what we've seen from Klopp and Pochettino and all the progressive styles of football, I'm not sure that fans are accepting a pragmatic style of play. They want entertainment week in, week out.

"One thing I would say is that Liverpool do like it when teams come onto them. ...

"But how many teams have we seen sit off Guardiola's Manchester City in the last three or four years and do well? Not many. We've seen it work less and less against Liverpool too. This tactic of dropping deep passively does seem to be working less and less and fans are accepting less and less."'
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Many media running with stories of unrest:

Jose Mourinho 'losing Tottenham dressing room' with players frustrated over performances

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/jose-mourinho-losing-tottenham-dressing-21333384

"Tottenham stars are already growing frustrated with Jose Mourinho’s old-school coaching methods - just two months since he took charge of the club.

It is believed the Spurs squad are not at all impressed by the 56-year-old’s long-ball approach to training sessions, giving them the feeling they are regressing under his management.

His sessions are said to be centred around long balls, flick-ons and throw-ins - and have been compared to that of lower-league sides."
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Spurs have not had a managerial bounce since Mourinho was appointed their new manager.

8 wins in 17 games, which is not terrible but it's nothing special either.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:57 pm

The whole sociology of coach hirings and firings in sport would make a fascinating research topic.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 am

Mourinho has been rebuked for "training in the public park". I don't know how many people this training involved, but if London is on total lockdown I guess it does not matter.

Son has flown back to S. Korea to complete his compulsory military training (apparently it's only three or four weeks) during the lockdown.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Now Mourinho sacked.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:45 pm

Spurs sack Nuno after only 17 games in charge.

Antonio Conte is the favourite to take over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: