Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

whats everyones tips for this corona virus crisis. My tips are stage 3 will last 3-4 months stage 2 then another 2 months.if stage 4 is enforced then everything extended a month or 2. 8 months for restrictions to be slowly lifted. International borders closed though till usa Europe asia have the situation under control looking at 16 months. Don't want a second wave that's all. Economy starting to open up 9-10 months.Vaccine 12-13 months away. The new "normal" (happy days) 13 months time. These are all approx.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:42 am

Given the fanciful information many countries are publishing about their numbers of cases, here’s my estimates, reverse-engineered from the reported numbers of deaths and average infection mortality rates. I have left China out because their death data also looks like cow pats.

Italy - in excess of 2.2 million cases
Spain - about 1.7 million cases
USA - in excess of 1.1 million cases
France - approaching 1 million cases
UK - approaching 550,000 cases
Iran - 500,000 cases

Australia - at least 5,500 cases

Worldwide (one can’t avoid using China’s fairytales here) it looks like there are well in excess of 9 million cases (compared with present reporting of slightly under 1.1 million cases).

I am certainly not suggesting that my figures are “correct”. I am just performing these calculations to try to get a handle on the extent of under-reporting, on average, around the globe.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 am

I think the normal in 13 months is about right.

There's one thing fixing the situation here, but it'l take a while for the virus to settle down across the globe.

I suspect no international travel this year, or if so, quarantine rules will apply and maybe only to select countries, like NZ.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 am

Over coming the debt: 6-7 years approx
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am

Finally, it’s not just a joke:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/corona-beer-company-halts-production-as-coronavirus-pandemic-grips-mexico/news-story/2b6e81d222e01a46e7cec9bef3127be5
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 pm

The puzzle of coronavirus: a huge variation in rates of death and severe disease across the globe

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-puzzle-of-coronavirus-a-huge-variation-in-rates-of-death-and-severe-disease-across-the-globe-20200402-p54gkr.html

"Yet Allen Cheng, professor of infectious diseases at Monash university and an expert adviser to the federal government, warns against drawing too much comfort from our early figures. "The key is to keep an eye on the unlinked cases, the cases where you can’t work out where they’ve come from," he says. "If we start picking up a lot of [those], then there is a big iceberg there and we need to work out how big it is."

One of the most striking features of the pandemic is the huge variation in rates of death and severe disease across the globe. Countries doing better than most include the East Asian grouping of Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and South Korea. Germany has also kept a firmer lid on its death rate (around 1 per cent of its reported cases thus far).

Italy and Spain, however, are undergoing horrors familiar to anyone following the nightly news...

Stanford University epidemiologist Professor John Ioannidis has expressed frustration at the extreme disparity in the testing data from different countries. "Given the limited testing to date, some deaths and probably the vast majority of infections due to [the virus] are being missed," he wrote recently. "We don't know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of 3 or 300."

Cheng agrees that the relative youth of Australian cases detected so far is holding down our case fatality rate. Leaving aside the passengers from cruise ships, "most of the cases have been travel-related and [those] travellers tend to be younger, people under 50, and the death rate and mortality is much lower in that group," he says.

"The other factor that often makes the death rate look quite low early on is that some of the people that have just got infection may still go on to die," Cheng adds. "That's really important at the very start of an outbreak - the death rate looks artificially low because the time to death is several [two to three] weeks." Eventually around 20 to 30 per cent of those in intensive care will end up losing the battle against the virus.

Gary Slutkin believes Western populations have, in general, been slower to heed the warnings of public health officials than those in the East.

"The Eastern mind is much more communal, the western mind is much more individual," he says. "In East Asia, their [government] systems are organised and generally speaking more efficient."

Testing remains key to controlling the outbreak here. As Slutkin says, "if you feel like you are overdoing it as a country or a city, or even as yourself, then that is the right feeling. Then overdo it some more"."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 pm

29: A Woman in her 70s has died in hospital in Victoria.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Paolo Maldini has recovered, thank goodness.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 pm

30: A man in his 80s who had pre-existing health concerns has died in the ACT.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Given the fanciful information many countries are publishing about their numbers of cases, here’s my estimates, reverse-engineered from the reported numbers of deaths and average infection mortality rates. I have left China out because their death data also looks like cow pats.

Italy - in excess of 2.2 million cases
Spain - about 1.7 million cases
USA - in excess of 1.1 million cases
France - approaching 1 million cases
UK - approaching 550,000 cases
Iran - 500,000 cases

Australia - at least 5,500 cases

Worldwide (one can’t avoid using China’s fairytales here) it looks like there are well in excess of 9 million cases (compared with present reporting of slightly under 1.1 million cases).

I am certainly not suggesting that my figures are “correct”. I am just performing these calculations to try to get a handle on the extent of under-reporting, on average, around the globe.

I've been producing similar numbers, P4S.

This is predicated on the notion that the death rate is 0.66%.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Paolo Maldini has recovered, thank goodness.

Great to hear.

One of my favourite non-Chelsea players.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:59 pm

Jezza wrote:

Yeah, I don't buy this death rate. There's a lot of uncertainty about whether that's even "correct" of China (it was based on Chinese data), but clearly it depends on the country, how healthy it is and how good its health system.

A previous post quoted the claim that 99% of the Italian deaths have been people with underlying health conditions, how serious we don't know. Apparently only 23% of adult Americans are "healthy" (I can't remember the exact term used). COVID-19 is horribly exposing underlying unhealthy populations and deficient health systems.

The (long, most not quoted here) SMH article above talks about many factors that could be affecting different death rates. One is that, at least currently, countries could be lucky or unlucky to have infections concentrated among young or old people. And apparently English pubs are warm, cosy and inviting, while Australian pubs are more bland, cold and spacious, which has worked against England. (So says one English talking head.) Shocked Wink

When all countries have hit their peaks, we'll see how much their underfunded (or mis-funded -- a huge problem, I reckon, which reminds me of pre-coronavirus AFL spending) health systems are exposed. e.g. The article quoted a page back says 90% of UK hospital beds were already filled before the crisis, so they have little room to move.

Last edited by K on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 pm

^ Apart from the pubs nonsense (which was anecdotal at best), it was an outstanding article, essentially sumarising the state of play. Well worth reading in full.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:27 am

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Yeah, I don't buy this death rate....

So, what do you say we should use as a working figure? You can't sensibly worry both that there are vast numbers of unidentified cases and that the death rate is higher than reported. Plainly, both propositions cannot be true.

At the moment, the death rate in Australia is about 0.54%. It will likely increase to some extent because there is a significant lag between the onset of serious illness and death - but there are only about 85 people presently in critical care. On the other hand, we know that there is likely to be some under-reporting of cases because of the testing parameters, the reliability of testing and the significant portion (say between 20% and 40%) of asymptomatic cases. The undetected portion of asymptomatic cases means, of course, that the actual infection mortality rate is much lower than is being reported, even here.

Based on early reading, I started with a working hypothesis of a 2% death rate (refer to my earliest posts in this thread), which may ultimately prove to be more accurate - but that does seem to have been overly pessimistic, based on the experience in Australia. In that context, it seems sensible to work with a 0.66% figure that is a little higher than our reporting shows - until a more refined analysis comes along.

It's all very well to question the data (as I continue to do) but the questioning itself needs to start from an intellectually viable position.

It is plainly a very nasty disease and it kills a small proportion of the people exposed to it. Not that long ago, though, some elements of the prepper fringe were suggesting a 7.3% death rate based on the reported Italian figures. I assume we can both agree that's ridiculous, irresponsible, stupid nonsense, born of a complete failure to comprehend anything at all about the data?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am

If this, from the ABC's coronavirus live update webpage, is correct, it is very interesting:

Mr Andrews said the majority of healthcare workers who have tested positive did not contract coronavirus as a result of their work.

"The vast majority of healthcare workers have not contracted the virus as a result of their work.

"Rather, they've been people who have travelled overseas or they've been the close contact of those people who have travelled overseas.

"That's not to downplay or in any way diminish the important work that our front-line workers are doing, there is an element of risk there.

"80 per cent plus of those health workers who have contracted the virus, have not got it from patients. They've got it from overseas travel or being a close contact of someone who has travelled overseas."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 98 of 252   

Jump to: