Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Private Schools - Public responsibility: how to screw kids

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I know nothing beyond what’s public and I’m not speculating. From the Boards’s perspective, though, there is the tiny matter of a 4 Corners episode broadcast 2 days ago which, according to the ABC’s synopsis, details in 47 m and 16 s “evidence of how a desire to protect reputation at all costs has allowed a toxic culture to flourish”. I bet that got their attention. Every school has a paedophile or 3 lurking about - but not every school allows “a toxic culture to flourish”.

I would argue that any organisation, not just schools. who have a desire to protect reputation at all costs are going to have a toxic culture.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And so you should be. That's outrageous and needs to be vigorously opposed. That call for his head for "giving a reference", though, is a rather "four legs good, two legs bad" response - it also isn't what wpt was posting about in the op. There is much, much more to this than the "character reference" - indeed, on a proper view, it's a trivial sideshow, as the 4 Corners episode discloses.

Fair enough – perhaps I need to read/hear a little more about the case, as I haven't been following it closely. So far, the references are the only thing being brought up in the few newspaper articles I've read about this. Generally I have very little tolerance for elite institutions seeking to subvert justice in order to protect their own reputation, and if that's happened here then they absolutely deserve what's coming to them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:46 pm

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
And so you should be. That's outrageous and needs to be vigorously opposed. That call for his head for "giving a reference", though, is a rather "four legs good, two legs bad" response - it also isn't what wpt was posting about in the op. There is much, much more to this than the "character reference" - indeed, on a proper view, it's a trivial sideshow, as the 4 Corners episode discloses.

Fair enough – perhaps I need to read/hear a little more about the case, as I haven't been following it closely. So far, the references are the only thing being brought up in the few newspaper articles I've read about this. Generally I have very little tolerance for elite institutions seeking to subvert justice in order to protect their own reputation, and if that's happened here then they absolutely deserve what's coming to them.

I just watched the 4 Corners program. It is, I think, very safe to say that people who are inclined to the view that the "character reference" did for the Principal might want to watch it, also.

That said, once you understand the wider course of conduct in relation to the case, the "character reference" takes on a far-less-defensible appearance, as well. In all the circumstances, I found myself asking the question, "How did he think that was OK?"
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:13 pm

Here's another piece of the puzzle, just dropped: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-19/st-kevins-allegations-mandatory-reporting/11981188
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm

If you haven’t watched 4 Corners then you’re not in a position to provide informed comment.

It’s gobsmacking in this day and age to think the behaviour of the Principal and the so called Dean of Sport to behave the way they did was and is seen as OK.

Brave articulate boys who stood up to be counted.

Trying by association to link Robert Richter QC for defending the sexual predator because he also defended Pell is a bit of a distraction (other than the fact it is hard to be subject to a legal grilling by one of the best) when he was simply doing his job.

Well done 4 Corners.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 am

David wrote:
Is this just about the character references? As with the George Pell case, I don’t really see the big deal with that, and am actually concerned that this is now seen in isolation as a form of complicity. I’ll reiterate what I wrote in the Pell thread:

David wrote:
just as we as a society accept that defendants are entitled to a lawyer who will argue their case, we accept that they are entitled to make a case for a less severe punishment after conviction. If that involves character references that, through describing the accused's positive attributes, indicate good chances of rehabilitation, then I think that's a legitimate part of the process, and that those who contribute such references shouldn't be attacked for doing so.

“John Howard and Tony Abbott rush to gates of St Kevins to offer character references”

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/john-howard-and-tony-abbott-rush-to-gates-of-st-kevins-to-offer-character-references/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Here's another piece of the puzzle, just dropped: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-19/st-kevins-allegations-mandatory-reporting/11981188

Thanks P4S. Sounds like a classic case of an institution prioritising its reputation over the wellbeing of its students.

I'm all for being proud of your work and wanting an organisation to succeed, but when you're accusing internal whistleblowers of "disloyalty", you start to sound like a cult member.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-20/st-kevins-college-deputy-principal-asked-to-step-aside/11983118

And another one bites the dust....
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Robert Richter QC for defending the sexual predator ....

How does a volunteer school athletics coach even hire a QC? Was the school or someone else quietly helping pay for it?

It's frustrating when so many other people are frozen out of the justice system because of money.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 am

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Robert Richter QC for defending the sexual predator ....

How does a volunteer school athletics coach even hire a QC? Was the school or someone else quietly helping pay for it?

It's frustrating when so many other people are frozen out of the justice system because of money.

That's a good quesion about who funded the defence QC. However, it is an ethical question not related to the my point about the hired help.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:26 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-20/st-kevins-college-deputy-principal-asked-to-step-aside/11983118

And another one bites the dust....

This is intersting because as I uderstand it the legal action commenced in 2019.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Just in case you might have thought Andrew Bolt (and Gerard Henderson) weren't grubs:

"Child protection groups condemn Andrew Bolt for saying convicted St Kevin's groomer 'hit on' victim.....
Bolt denies he minimised the seriousness of Peter Kehoe’s offending in his Sky News program
"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/19/child-protection-groups-condemn-andrew-bolt-for-saying-convicted-st-kevins-groomer-hit-on-victim

Only when he was outed by the victim does the grub apologise

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/21/st-kevins-student-groomed-by-coach-says-andrew-bolt-comments-make-him-sick

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:16 pm

"Andrew Bolt reafirms position as the sussest c*nt in Australian Media"

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/andrew-bolt-reaffirms-position-as-the-sussest-c*nt-in-australian-media/

On the available evidence it's hard to argue against the proposition.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:42 pm

watt price tully wrote:
That's a good quesion about who funded the defence QC. However, it is an ethical question not related to the my point about the hired help.

Yes, your point was legal people are just doing their job, so media shouldn't try to associate one of their clients with another.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:48 pm

The thick plottens: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-02/st-kevins-former-teacher-allegations-referred-to-police/12016496

I expect it is all just coincidence:

"Mr Finnigan became publicly known when he gave evidence in the trial of Catholic Cardinal George Pell, as he was the St Patrick's Cathedral choir marshal at the time when two teenage choirboys were abused by Pell.

After his evidence, in which the court heard he was a strict disciplinarian and would have known if the two boys had gone missing after mass, Mr Finnigan walked past the prisoner's dock and shook Pell's hand."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: