Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Private Schools - Public responsibility: how to screw kids

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:03 pm
Post subject: Private Schools - Public responsibility: how to screw kidsReply with quote

How is this bloke (the principal) still in his job?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/never-a-member-of-staff-st-kevin-s-headmaster-distances-school-from-convicted-coach-20200218-p541ub.html

If you don't know the story then watch this:

On 4 Corners last night (Boy's schools, male toxic culture, sexual predation and grooming, cover-ups, suicicdes) at of the supposed finest private schools money can buy.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-corners?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgLjulcTa5wIVViUrCh0oAwlDEAAYASAAEgKC5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very brave young men. Well done them and their families. F*ck the principal, the dean of sports and the others trying to cover this up and make it go away.

Wonka 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
at of the supposed finest private schools money can buy.

Don't think many other private schools would think it's one of the finest.

Produces a lot of AFL players but.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Pretty much don't care, not my problem, let the people who pay for their kids to go to the school and the school board sort it out.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 am

Wonka wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
at of the supposed finest private schools money can buy.

Don't think many other private schools would think it's one of the finest.

Produces a lot of AFL players but.

Do they? I know their old boys amateur club buys a lot of ex AFL players who never went to the school...
Wonka 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:50 am

14 AFL players from St Kevins last year. Dunno how many of those they bought with scholarships. Other private schools were higher, like Haileybury, which is not one of the finest either.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:35 pm

He's gone

https://www.9news.com.au/national/st-kevins-college-headmaster-resigns-after-abuse-scandal-melbourne/176adb8f-3ce6-4467-97bc-4a0a62fe6870
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Is this just about the character references? As with the George Pell case, I don’t really see the big deal with that, and am actually concerned that this is now seen in isolation as a form of complicity. I’ll reiterate what I wrote in the Pell thread:

David wrote:
just as we as a society accept that defendants are entitled to a lawyer who will argue their case, we accept that they are entitled to make a case for a less severe punishment after conviction. If that involves character references that, through describing the accused's positive attributes, indicate good chances of rehabilitation, then I think that's a legitimate part of the process, and that those who contribute such references shouldn't be attacked for doing so.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Or, could giving a glowing reference be similar to moving priests with suspicions of child sex offences from parish to parish? That is, allowing them to move on to potentially target other children? The other schools should at least be made aware of serious accusations, then can make up their own minds.

I tend to agree that the principal's main concern should have been on his student, not the teacher that's done the wrong thing. As he didn't have the student's best interest at heart he should resign IMHO. Because, well, isn't that his job?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm

If I read it properly, the headmaster gave a positive (doesn't mean it was "glowing" ) character reference to the magistrate following the trial, pre sentencing.

It wasn't a reference to another employer and is very similar to Tony Abbott and others giving character references for George Pell.

Dandrews piping up with the crack that he'd be sacked if he worked at a state school was poor IMHO.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Andrews is a classless twat at the best of times, would expect nothing else.

Last edited by Wokko on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If I read it properly, the headmaster gave a positive (doesn't mean it was "glowing" ) character reference to the magistrate following the trial, pre sentencing.

It wasn't a reference to another employer and is very similar to Tony Abbott and others giving character references for George Pell.

Dandrews piping up with the crack that he'd be sacked if he worked at a state school was poor IMHO.

Yes, it smacks rather of witch-hunting.

Of course, it might be that the reference is just a convenient reason for the resignation - the Board might well have been more generally concerned by the things that happened on this Principal’s watch. Andrews’ comments were misconceived. Nothing new in that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:06 pm

^

I have no insight into other things that may or may not have happened on his watch so I take on face value that the resignation was based on the reference.

In these days of anti-social media, more and more people are tried and convicted in the court of public opinion where the facts are irrelevant. The school board would have gone into damage control mode and talked him into resigning.

I'd take the reverse view and say they would have cut loose any headmaster unless there was a compelling reason to try to ride out the storm. But then again, you may be privy to stuff I'm not.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 pm

^ I know nothing beyond what’s public and I’m not speculating. From the Boards’s perspective, though, there is the tiny matter of a 4 Corners episode broadcast 2 days ago which, according to the ABC’s synopsis, details in 47 m and 16 s “evidence of how a desire to protect reputation at all costs has allowed a toxic culture to flourish”. I bet that got their attention. Every school has a paedophile or 3 lurking about - but not every school allows “a toxic culture to flourish”.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:43 pm

luvdids wrote:
Or, could giving a glowing reference be similar to moving priests with suspicions of child sex offences from parish to parish? That is, allowing them to move on to potentially target other children? The other schools should at least be made aware of serious accusations, then can make up their own minds.

I tend to agree that the principal's main concern should have been on his student, not the teacher that's done the wrong thing. As he didn't have the student's best interest at heart he should resign IMHO. Because, well, isn't that his job?

On the first, I don't think it's analogous at all – the man was already on trial, and in the process of being convicted. He would presumably have never been legally allowed to work at a school again, regardless of his sentence. What would have been an analogous case is if the school had tried to suppress the case from being reported and moved him on to another school; something like that would have been a grave moral failure, and I'm sure it's happened before. It may just be me, but I haven't read anything about the school or its staff attempting to suppress this case or protect the man from prosecution.

On the second, that's absolutely true, but do we know for a fact that they didn't do everything in their power to ensure the student was protected and that the perpetrator faced justice? If not, then it can't be said they weren't acting in the student's best interest, and we're back to square one on the question of whether it's appropriate for a principal to provide a character reference for a former staff member who is a defendant in a case like this. I think it is, and, again, I'm alarmed by this seeming consensus that giving a character reference to a criminal defendant is something no decent member of society should do.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 pm

And so you should be. That's outrageous and needs to be vigorously opposed. That call for his head for "giving a reference", though, is a rather "four legs good, two legs bad" response - it also isn't what wpt was posting about in the op. There is much, much more to this than the "character reference" - indeed, on a proper view, it's a trivial sideshow, as the 4 Corners episode discloses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: