Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Boyd announces shock retirement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Tom Boyd. As for Barrett. Well he’s getting lots of negativity and his enemies are becoming numerous. Ambulance chaser.
K 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
... than Jarryd Blair ...

We would have won the premiership in 2010 without Jarryd. Would the Dogs have won in 2016 without Tom?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Well, let's just say I'd rather have Grundy on the 7 year, $7 million contract.
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:45 pm

K wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
It also makes me wonder if the Bulldogs are a club that have things in place for players/staff struggling with mental health.

Maybe no club is. When Bevo was interviewed for his job, they thought he was "off the scale" in terms of empathy.

"... as the AFL reaches the final stages of its next key appointment — a mental health officer to report to football boss Steve Hocking. Hocking’s view is that clubs over the next five years will be transformed as they move towards models more equipped to deal with the demands of the game and modern society.

Hocking is a key voice on the Industry Governance Committee which involves players, AFL and club executives, player manager Tom Petroro and AFLPA boss Paul Marsh — a group on the verge of reaching some final decisions on what looms as a reshaping of the football clubs soft cap and a potential additional $1 million a year of spending on extra medical and psychological services at clubs."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-s-regrettable-response-to-goodes-documentary-20190517-p51oec.html
merolz 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 am

Journalism just catching up now

Nick's post 2/10/16
Tom Boyd = Geoff Hayward

The Age 20/5/19
Sport Thought: When the player falls out of love with the game
There are many parallels between Tom Boyd and the fictitious Geoff Hayward from David Williamson's play The Club

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:36 am

From the article above:

"In the earlier days of the internet, I lurked and posted on message boards and observed the way football totally consumed the lives of some people, many of whom seemed to relish tearing down players for their lack of effort or skill or dedication or all of the above. But I also recognised and revelled in the same joy and love and communion they took from the game."
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Josh Jenkins (on SEN):

“On the weekend I told Hannah and (Jenkins’ daughter) Lottie — I told Hannah, who’s responsible, to stay home.

“Because at SANFL, the abuse that gets hurled around — and I’m not condemning people that do it — but it’s uncomfortable for them to have to sit there.

“They obviously love me and to have to sit there and go through that.

“If I was at Hannah’s netball I’d be wanting to start a fight if those same things were said and that’s how I’m trying to make people to understand that it affects everyone.

“Mental health might affect the individual but the whole family gets affected.”
K 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm

New AFL plans to deal with mental health

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/new-afl-plans-to-deal-with-mental-health-20190524-p51qw6.html

"The AFL will devote up to $3 million a year from 2020 into a new and systematic approach to mental health which will prioritise the well-being of players, coaches and football club staff.

The new industry approach has not been without a power struggle between the AFL and the players regarding ultimate control of player wellbeing but most of those issues are close to resolved with the AFLPA continuing to fund the National Psychology Network and expected to continue to contribute to club player welfare spending.

The Age understands a central mental health unit operating from AFL headquarters will be funded by head office to the tune of at least $1 million annually with clubs to devote up to an extra $100,000 a season into off-field development and well-being. Applications for the game’s first mental health officer, who will report to Hocking, closed last week.

The 18 club chiefs were told last week that a proportion of player development and well-being spending would fall outside the football-department soft cap — something that was strongly pushed by Chris Fagan during his time overseeing football at Hawthorn and Swans coach John Longmire.

Player-welfare spending inside the cap is predicted to increase to $250,000 next season. The football department spending cap, frozen at $9.5 million in recent seasons, will be increased by a total of $200,000 a club over the next two years. This was a subject of robust debate at the recent meeting of the 18 clubs with battle lines largely drawn between the wealthy and poorer clubs.

The AFLPA has contributed $900,000 — $50,000 a club — to the 18 teams in 2019 to devote to players’ mental health and welfare. The prevailing view is that that contribution should continue, with some clubs pushing for the AFL to match that amount."
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

I was thinking about starting a thread about him a few days ago. Wondering where he is, how he is going, and if he would look at getting back into the AFL.

Quote:
Footy's dark places: Extraordinary story behind the million-dollar-a-year AFL superstar who walked away from it all after relentless abuse triggered crippling depression

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/footys-dark-places-extraordinary-story-behind-the-million-dollar-a-year-afl-superstar-who-walked-away-from-it-all-after-relentless-abuse-triggered-crippling-depression-as-the-game-reels-from-danny-frawleys-tragic-death/ar-AAH51NV?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

It sounds like he's more than happy playing for Norwood in the Eastern Football League. And that a return to the AFL will be unlikely.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Boyd will be on Open Mike next week on Tuesday, September 17.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Dale Thomas:

“The lowest point was going through the split with the missus in pre-season, my daughter being sort of removed from my care and only being able to get there every second weekend at best at the start.

“And then having to try and rock up to pre-season and then also dealing with some issues about how I was feeling about myself, everything in life.

“Having to deal with that while trying to be a professional athlete … at that point I didn’t really care. I was going to do the job — but I hated it.

“There were times where I’d rock up to training and sit in the car in tears then rock up and be court jester to try and hide it.

“I was liked for that, but I knew I was being a fraud, so that ate away at me as well. I knew I was sad, I didn’t know what to do.”

“I started seeing a counsellor. Within about a month, I was able to go and express myself and it felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders.

“All this s*** I’d carried around for 30 years and every time something had got worse and stacked on and stacked on.

“Then I was able to communicate it and didn’t feel embarrassed.

“As soon as I told, especially the younger boys at the footy club, I got up and told all them, and the amount of kids that came up to me and said, ‘Thankyou so much’.

“No one judged one bit and I was so grateful.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-dale-thomas-opens-up-on-feeling-like-a-fraud-blue-cleared-of-serious-injury-dockers-big-man-stepping-up/news-story/a53eb1753fbc41316b0b7605ad64515d
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:01 am

The tabloid headline screeches about Daisy: "... he is battling anxiety after his daughter's birth triggered childhood trauma caused by his abusive dad."

Has anyone seen further details about this childhood trauma?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 am

K wrote:
The tabloid headline screeches about Daisy: "... he is battling anxiety after his daughter's birth triggered childhood trauma caused by his abusive dad."

Has anyone seen further details about this childhood trauma?

If they have, would it belong in this forum?

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 am

It was very obvious that they are just reporting what he says himself on TV.

It's his personal choice to talk about whatever he wants to.

(Answer: "Alcoholic" father, he said.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: