Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dress Codes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:11 pm
Post subject: Dress CodesReply with quote

I went to the Toc Golf club for lunch with mum and her brother a couple of days after Christmas. Bush Golf Club committees are the last bastion of the snobs and fuddy duddies but they've started to move with the times. Almost.

As we were entering, a group of people were told by reception that the men couldn't come in because they were wearing singlets ( I was pleasantly surprised I was allowed in in Thongs) yet the women wearing sleeveless tops, effectively singlets were allowed in.

One of the blokes queried this, not heatedly, asking wasn't it discrimination that the women were allowed to wear singlets but the men weren't, the receptionist basically shrugged apologetically and said they had allowed men to wear singlets for a while but some members had complained. (That would be the aforementioned old snobs and fuddy duddies)

Anyway, it stuck with me, partly because I'd had one of those random thoughts not long ago about how the hell dress codes would deal with the current Gender situation and non binary genders. So I did a bit of research.

Turns out it is potentially discriminatory, at least in NSW and Qld.

http://clubsqld.com.au/Web/News/News_alerts_2018/March_2018/Club_Dress_Codes_Is_your_policy_discriminatory.aspx?WebsiteKey=e71906e5-63fd-4f3a-aa61-cd9c5a1aa86c

Best way to summarise is that club associations in NSW and Qld are advising their clubs to have non gender based dress codes.

So if a woman can wear thongs so can a man. If you ban thongs but allow open toed shoes for women, same applies for men.

So goodbye to the old days, sort of.

A Pub, surf club, RSL club or bush gold club generally admit the public to purchase food and or drink. I'm unclear how this would apply to Members only clubs, where you either have to be a member or accompanied by one to get in.

Maybe it's because as Members they are able to vote on such things and if they don't like it, don't be a member?

Example from Victoria, the MCC

https://www.mcc.org.au/mcc-reserve/dress-standards

Would a fine dining restaurant that insisted on collared shirts and covered shoes with socks for men, but made no similar impost on women be OK?

I've got no problem with the idea of having a dress code, if you want to go to a fine dining restaurant in your tracky dacks, ugg boots and gravy stained iron maiden T shirt you aren't getting into the vibe of the whole deal, so having a dress code is apparently fine as long as you don't discriminate .

So, how the flying %$^£$%^&%% does it work with the current Gender situation, where you can identify as whatever? For simplicity, start with non-binary.

If I rock up to the MCC as someone's guest, I'm dressed neatly and smartly, a woman would get in wearing the same, but I'm stopped because I don't have a collar on my shirt. I reply that I don't identify as Male, I'm non-binary ( no reason a non-binary person can't have a beard), WTF do they do then?

Now, I'm not just focusing on the current gender situation, but dress codes in general.

have you ever encountered one you think is ridiculous?

I was threatened back in the 80's to be banned from the golf course in Toc for playing in footy shorts and bare feet. Shorts apparently needed to be knee length and you had to wear shoes with long socks that finished just under the knee.

I have a sign in my bar that says

"Men, no shirt no service.
Women, no shirt free drinks"

Probably wouldn't fly.

So, thoughts on Dress Codes?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules are rules. They may be old fashioned but I don't mind them, nothing wrong with making an effort to go somewhere nice (making the assumption that it's the "nice" places that have dress codes).

Yes, MCC state men are to wear covered shoes, collar & tie etc (jacket not required in summer) with women to be dress to a "similar standard". Don't know how they'd stop a man from entering wearing a pair of stilettos, if they have them in your size you could give it a go Wink
Tie only required in certain areas BTW, collar necessary for male entry - can be polo top. Their no ripped jeans applies to all sexes.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:26 pm

I could possibly find a pair of stilettos in my size but I'd snap an ankle or do a knee trying to walk in them if I didn't knock myself out on a doorway or decapitate myself on a ceiling fan first. Embarassed
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Haha, I think everyone knows what I think of this! Basically, the sooner we get rid of gendered dress codes the better, I reckon. I'm not a fan of dress codes generally, but do respect the right of establishments to set their own within reason. In the case of places whose rules are too snobby and old-fashioned, I probably wouldn't want to go there anyway, so live and let live I guess.

You ask how it gels with the current gender situation; I guess the simple answer is it doesn't – the people who enforce these rules aren't just ten years behind, they're probably closer to fifty years behind. But the times catch up with everyone and they'll probably get there eventually.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm

So on a hot day I can chuck on a nice light frock instead of pants and a shirt?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm

Whatever floats your boat, Stui. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Hey, shoulder length blonde hair, good pins and arse, I could give some poor bastard a heart seizure when the view from behind got corrupted by me turning around. Razz
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:21 pm

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Hey, shoulder length blonde hair, good pins and arse, I could give some poor bastard a heart seizure when the view from behind got corrupted by me turning around. Razz

Pictures, I dare you!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:23 pm

I just imagined the look on the face of the Target change room attendant if I rocked up with a size 24 floral frock to try on.

Almost worth it. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: