Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Assange arrested

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this a very informative article on the different options faced by Assange. It's a different one because I've read it twice and can't summarise it because it hits too many different elements.

It opens with this.

Quote:
When former CIA counter-terrorism officer John Kiriakou was facing an espionage trial for blowing the whistle on torture in interrogations, he hired O.J. Simpson’s jury consultant.

“He’d never lost a case in his whole career,” Kiriakou says. “He came to Washington, got security clearance and reviewed the papers. He said ‘in any other district I’d say let’s go for it, we’re going to win’.

“‘But your jury is going to be made up of people with friends, relatives at the CIA, the Pentagon, national security, intelligence contractors. You don’t stand a chance. Just take the deal.'

“And that’s going to be Julian [Assange]’s jury.”

So Kiriakou settled, copped a plea and is now free.

A few different things covered including the reluctance to actually charge Assange with espionage, the conflict between the charges and the first amendment, grounds on which Britain could choose to deny the extradition request and why the US would rather he be in Sweden.

This could play out through courts for another 7 years.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/you-don-t-stand-a-chance-how-the-press-freedom-argument-will-go-for-assange-20190607-p51vfi.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks Stui – seems things are a lot more encouraging than I thought, although obviously the odds are still stacked against him. Certainly, the longer this takes, the more chance Assange has of winning.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:21 pm

UK to extradite Assange to US. Imagine my shock:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-13/julian-assange-british-home-secretary-signs-extradition-order/11207946
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:32 am

They’ve signed the extradition request, which formalises it, but the actual court case is a different matter and may yet drag on for months or even years. I’m not confident that he’ll get a fair hearing, but I like to think there’s still a glimmer of hope.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Another interesting Assange article which suggests he was working with the russians against the Democrats in the election.

Quote:
explosive new CNN reporting sheds further light on Assange's efforts to systematically help upend the 2016 election in favor of Republicans.
Supporters of Assange and WikiLeaks have tried to absolve Assange, painting him as a truth-telling hero, committing journalism and becoming a victim of government censorship. But what this trove of documents appears to confirm is not heroic at all.
Perched inside Ecuador's embassy in London, where he spent nearly seven years in asylum, Assange was engaged in nothing short of a full-fledged intelligence collection and dissemination operation to influence American voters.

I have NFI if the author is just a frustrated democrat supporter who still can't get over Trump's election or if there's truth in what he says.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/16/opinions/julian-assange-wikileaks-campbell/index.html

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pm

It's a bit hard to take this article seriously. It's a bunch of circumstantial evidence fitted together to form a narrative.
Quote:
According to documents obtained by CNN, Assange had multiple Russian visitors to the embassy..

So? Does being Russian automatically make you a Putin agent? Tell me who these Russian visitors were and then I might give a toss.
Quote:
The WikiLeaks founder reportedly met several times inside the embassy with officials from RT, a Kremlin-backed TV network...

So? Maybe they were there to interview him? Maybe he was doing opinion pieces for RT?
Remember that organisations like CNN spent two years claiming that Trump was working with the Russians with "evidence" like this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:16 am

I heard about this article. What a disgrace of an organisation CNN is.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/new-cnn-assange-smear-piece-is-amazingly-dishonest-even-for-cnn-e7c361d98639

Assange had a talk show on RT for a couple of years, and the channel has covered his case closely. Is it a propaganda outlet for Putin’s government? Yeah, basically. But it’s still a news channel that does journalism; these things aren’t mutually exclusive. Just look at American cable news as a prime example.

I honestly don’t know how close Assange was with Russia. Some have suggested he was essentially working for them; others that the Democratic Convention leaks came from an American hacker. But even if Assange was getting personal visits, intel and USB sticks from Putin himself, Russiagate conspiracy theorists still can’t answer a basic question: how, exactly, is publishing facts that make a political candidate look bad an instance of compromising the democratic process? To claim that Assange was doing something wrong, you have to believe that American voters did not have a right to know what Clinton and the DNC were doing behind closed doors – and that finding out made them less capable of casting an informed vote. Nothing more, nothing less.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Another interesting Assange article which suggests he was working with the russians against the Democrats in the election.

In what way do you find this interesting?

It is clear (to me) that Seth and Aaron Rich leaked a bunch of DNC docs/emails to Wikileaks and was murdered for it, probably on Podesta's order with HRC's consent.

Why anyone would credibly quote/watch or read anything CNN produced is a signal that someone is not taking their brain inputs seriously.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

^

Why would you say that? They're generally informative albeit left leaning.

I found the article interesting because it's a different take on Assange to what you normally see, I didn't imply I agreed with it, I have NFI if it's accurate or not.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 am

i want to see the shredding of the constitution on this. nra next target
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:45 am

Former Ecuadorean president Rafael Correa refutes CNN’s claims about Assange:

https://www.rt.com/news/464409-correa-cnn-assange-embassy/

Quote:
Correa told RT on Wednesday that CNN’s original story about the embassy operating as a “command center” was “rubbish” and that the network was trying to build an untrue narrative of cooperation between Assange and Russia to ensure the public supports his eventual fate.

"What CNN and other media are saying is rubbish, but we're used to it. They are prepping for the show. The reason is, when they extradite Assange to the US and sentence him to life, they want the honest backing of the public. They are setting the stage."

Longer interview here:

https://sputniknews.com/amp/latam/201907171076277633-its-a-lie-we-never-knew-of-interference-and-would-never-allow-it----ex-ecuadoran-president-correa-/

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Following another CNN/CIA hit-piece is this informed response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5smysXtwHmo

Mainstream media killing itself - quickly !!
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Nils Melzer, UN Rapporteur on Torture: Julian Assange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JteEuYVwvY
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:32 am

Onya Barnaby.

Barnaby Joyce joins calls to stop extradition of Assange to US

by Rob Harris, 13 Oct 2019

Former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce has joined calls for the Morrison government to try to halt Julian Assange's potential extradition from Britain to the United States on espionage charges, as the WikiLeaks founder's supporters intensify their campaign to bring him to Australia…

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/barnaby-joyce-joins-calls-to-stop-extradition-of-assange-to-us-20191013-p53080.html
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am

^ Really encouraging to hear – even if Joyce no longer has any actual power in the government, his opinions still carry a lot of weight. I hope that, the longer this drags on, similar views are starting to be aired in the party room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: