Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Assange arrested

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Post subject: Assange arrestedReply with quote

Looks like the Ecuadorian embassy finally ran out of patience

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/11/uk/julian-assange-arrested-gbr-intl/index.html?utm_content=2019-04-11T09%3A40%3A47&utm_medium=social&utm_term=image&utm_source=twCNNi

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience has nothing to do with it. Ever since their last change of government, the Ecuadorian leadership have resented this situation and been trying their best to make his life not worth living. This was inevitable.

Really worried that the extradition request from the US will be imminent now, and that everything that Assange has been warning about for eight years will come to pass. If so, that’s a sad day for publishers, civil rights advocates, whistleblowers and anyone who dares to stand up against the powerful.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

This will be fun. The USA want to be careful here. If they apply for extradition for a capital offence the British law won't allow it. Nor will Australia.Considering the amount of people banged up without trial in Gitmo they yanks can hardly say he will get a fair and speedy trial. Or even a trial at all. There is also the European Court to appeal to since Brexit hasn't happened. This could cost the UK even more than it already has. Geoffrey Robertson and co do not come cheap. Wikileaks could of course release another 100,000 documents and tie the intelligence services up for years. If they have anything on Trump out it comes.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 pm

You’re kidding, right? The US will say jump and May and Morrison/Shorten will ask how high. Really struggling to see any possible happy ending here.

By the way, any "progressive" who applauds or shrugs at a US extradition, if it comes to pass, is a coward.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Video of the arrest.

https://twitter.com/barnabynerberka/status/1116275982518898688

**** the UK
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Wikileaks did Uncle Donald a favour during his Presidential campaign didn't they?

Uncle Donald should do the right thing now and pardon him.

I don't see what Assange has done wrong anyway as he merely provided a platform for the classified information and the person responsible for obtaining it in Chelsea Manning was subsequently pardoned by President Obama.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Don’t count on it, Swoop – whatever Trump thinks of him (I doubt he cares much either way), there are enough people in his administration and the Department of Justice who’d happily see Assange executed. They were humiliated ten years ago and they want to show the world that the powerful always win. Unfortunately, there’s little reason to think that they won’t now – Assange is merely a pawn in the US and UK’s hands and surely there’s next to no chance they’ll let him get away. Just read the jubilant tweets from Tory twats like Jeremy Hunt.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Quote:
The US will say jump and May and Morrison/Shorten will ask how high.

I think Mark Latham's quote from back in the day was "a congo line of suckholes".
Very sad news.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 pm

The Brits have enough on their plate at the moment. They are trying to establish sovereignty again and cowtowing to the Yanks as a matter of priority is not gonna happen. Even Trump can not overrule International law. He can flout it. Interested to see if Assange is classified as a refugee by UN. The Australian politicians have let an Australian citizen down badly and bothe sides should be condemened. I hope the question is asked during the election campaign "Whta re you going to do about the possibilty that an Australian may be executed by the USA for a "crime" that is enshrined as a right in their own constitution". They will be hoping it is not asked.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm

While I'm no fan of Putin I thought he may have been willing and able to orchestrate Assange being smuggled out of the embassy prior to this point.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Same here, Swoop, and I suspect Russia would be a safe haven for Assange if he can get out of this. Of course it’d only really be about getting one over on the US for Putin, but credit where it’s due, they’ve given Snowden freedom for years when nearly anywhere else in the world would have given him up to America.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 pm

And the extradition request is now official:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2019/apr/11/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-at-the-ecuadorean-embassy-live-updates?page=with%3Ablock-5caf26368f08ce46f07ed557

Scotland Yard statement wrote:
Julian Assange, 47, (03.07.71) has today, Thursday 11 April, been further arrested on behalf of the United States authorities, at 10:53hrs after his arrival at a central London police station. This is an extradition warrant under Section 73 of the Extradition Act. He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates’ Court as soon as possible

Make no mistake: whatever your views on the Swedish rape case or the legitimacy of his claims to asylum, Assange is at risk of becoming a political prisoner. Anyone who cares about justice should oppose that.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 am

He should've made a break for it years ago. many ways he could've walked out with a little planning, get across to Europe to a country with no extradition treaty with the US and kick back.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:59 am

I think he was caught in the web the minute Sweden tried to extradite him. The US indictment has been open since 2012. Best decision in hindsight might have been to try the Russian embassy instead, but hard to know that at the time (and I’m not sure they were offering).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Rundle was in the courtroom yesterday for the hearing:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/04/12/rundle-assange-court-wikileaks-journalism/

Quote:
Outside the court, journos joked about the usual Assange scuttlebutt — his cat, his socks, etc — and essentially validated every critique of mainstream media that WikiLeaks has ever made: that the profession is full of natural sycophants, who spruik cynicism and call it even-handedness, who speak power to truth, who wilfully mistake the adrenaline rush of the micro-scoop and the petty scandal for genuine contestation.

It’s only with this most recent charge — abetting the “stealing of secrets” — that some have started to take notice. Because if you can be pinged for allegedly helping someone crack encrypted copied files, then what about if you coaxed them to blow the whistle with a few phone calls? What if you printed out their documents? Or had them translated, or legalled, or… etc? Does that make you a co-conspirator? The Assange case is the criminalisation of investigative journalism.

That won’t matter to most. The WikiLeaks project is inconvenient to anyone who would prefer to avoid the awful truth: that our lives are shaped by the exercise of power by great blocs, corporate and national. Politicians, academics, journalists — it shames all those who would prefer to live inside the whale, warm in the blubber of work and Netflix, and whatever.

The gleeful cynicism expressed by numerous media types whenever WikiLeaks has a setback is evidence of this. The project disturbs accommodation to power so exactly as to expose those who should be most ashamed of doing so, from commercial TV flotsam, to hip website stalwarts now rushing to News Corp to keep them in the game.

Of little consolation to Assange, now banged up, but still displaying a fighting spirit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: