Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Subsection g —Rule 20 VFL

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:07 pm
Post subject: Subsection g —Rule 20 VFLReply with quote

This subsection states any AFL player not able to play in final AFL round can
play finals for VFL affiliate in the bye week end

Howe is expected to play

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from memory one of the other subsections clearly says that while both AFL and VFL teams are alive, the whole list is free to play in either (which makes complete sense).
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Could be the case E. I had seriously never heard of it

So looking at it and the way it’s worded had the Sack played AFL against Freo
would he be ineligible to play VFL this week

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:27 pm

I think the broadest subsections are ones like:

"(e) Despite any other provision of this Rule 20, but subject to Rule 20(f), where a Club has both its AFL and VFL Senior Teams engaged on the same weekend, any Player may be selected to play in the VFL Senior Team so long as that Player has played in at least one AFL or VFL Senior Grade Home and Away Match or Development League Home and Away Match in that relevant season.

(h) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, in circumstances where:
(i) an AFL Club is participating in the AFL Finals Series, but is not required to play on a particular weekend (by virtue of winning its AFL Qualifying Final and earning a one-week break before its AFL Preliminary Final); and
(ii) the AFL Club’s VFL team is playing on that weekend,

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Qualifying Final will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the week in which the AFL Club has a one-week break. "

But in practice, if a player is clearly returning from injury (e.g. the player has not played any game at any level the whole year because of injury), the club just needs to ask the AFL and the AFL will sign off on it. That's allowed, because "Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the CEO of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match", and in the past I think it's routinely been applied.

In short, there's no problem here. The rules are there to prevent the club from artificially improving the VFL team, not to prevent an injured player from taking crucial steps in his comeback from injury.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 pm

K wrote:
But in practice, if a player is clearly returning from injury (e.g. the player has not played any game at any level the whole year because of injury), the club just needs to ask the AFL and the AFL will sign off on it. That's allowed, because "Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the CEO of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match", and in the past I think it's routinely been applied.

In short, there's no problem here. The rules are there to prevent the club from artificially improving the VFL team, not to prevent an injured player from taking crucial steps in his comeback from injury.

To labour the point(s), I note that there are four plus one provisions beginning "Despite any other provision in [of this] Rule 20": these are (e), (g), (h), (i).
The provisions (e), (h), (i) say in spirit that when both VFL and AFL teams are alive, all players can play in the VFL. It's longwinded because the byes complicate a simple idea. But provision (g) --- "no more than 12 AFL Matches" --- could very well conflict with (e), (h), (i). This is very shoddy wording of the rules, to say the least. [And easily fixable, if they could be bothered to show some minimal level of professionalism.] It doesn't matter in practice, though, because of the last catch-all that the AFL can deem any Player eligible for VFL Matches, which has the effect of protecting genuinely injured players from ineligibility concerns.*

* Treloar, for example, has played 13 AFL games in 2018.

Clarification: it seems they've altered what's written on the website (vfl.com.au/finals-eligibility) since it was quoted in this forum, so the labelling of provisions has changed. It seems they deleted the provisions regarding the Development League (formerly (c) & (d)), so the old (e), (g), (h), (i) (as stated above) are now called (c), (e), (f), (g), with the catch-all provision now (h).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: