Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:58 pm
Post subject: watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:Reply with quote

Hi, I'm departing to QLD in the early hours tomorrow to fly to Brisbane & if all things go to plan get an arranged bus to Woodford on the Sunshine Coast hinterland to do the 2016 Woodford to Hervey Bay ride organised by Cycling Queensland. 3-11 September 2016:

The itinerary:

Day September Route Kms

1 Saturday 3rd Woodford Loop 54
2 Sunday 4th Woodford to Maleny 41
3 Monday 5th Maleny to Kenilworth 41
4 Tuesday 6th Kenilworth to Gympie 57
5 Wednesday 7th Gympie to Rainbow Beach 75
6 Thursday 8th Rainbow Beach - Rest Day -
7 Friday 9th Rainbow Beach to Maryborough 95
8 Saturday 10th Maryborough to Burrum Heads 67
9 Sunday 11th Burrum Heads to Hervey Bay 44

The profile:

I did the WA bike ride about 5 years ago & I was match fit, about 8 kg lighter & was determined to ride all the hills etc. Day 2 looks like a killer but they tell me otherwise

Sleeping in tents paid about $500 extra so they erect a tent & supply a mattress all you have to do is take your suitcase to & from the right truck, Kenny style loos (on days 1 & 2 you think gawd I can't do this by day 3 any loo will will do). They are mounted on semi trailers as are the showers which you can only have in the pm post ride. Trick is to be regular: use the loos in the early am when they are at the their cleanest!! Sorry I'm a bit obsessed with ablutions & cleanliness which goes as mentioned on day 3!

My bike is packed. last Monday got the bike packed in Elizabeth street city. Got picked up by Mrs WPT & her business partner Tracey in their 2 seater van - I had to lay down in the back with the bike box being taken to a West Melbourne depot: utterly unsafe & illegal but it got done!

Now I'm not as prepared as I ought to have been but have done some spin classes & have been riding a lot more to work & back.

I'm gunna keep a blog of sorts when I can get to a an internet cafe every fe days or so. Hopefully at my age things will be OK.

It's not a race, & there are all sorts: young, old, fat, skinny, in between, men women etc. Less than 700 going compared to the Great Victorian Bike Ride where they have up to 5,000!

Anyways, good bye & may the Pies do well in the next 11 days as well as for the rest of the year & more.

Floreat Pica (yes I am toey)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gees good luck?
My butt cheeks ache just looking at those miles!

Cheers
Have fun!!

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:52 am

Jeepers! I hope you enjoy it, not for me I would rather attempt to run or walk than ride! Good luck.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 am

Enjoy. Not my cuppa tea, but hope it's a good experience.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 am

Really you don't think so?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:03 am

You know they make cars for adult right?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Greetings from Rainbow Beach fellow Nicksters. So far I've completed 5 days of riding with today being the rest day.

Has been great fun but a bit a bit of hard work too.

There are all sorts of people who do these rides. Some from interstate like me & as you'd expect a lot from QLD. The demographic is older than I'd expected: a lot of 50's, 60's, 70's & some in their 80's. One woman I was taking to while riding had her second hip operation this year & was in her early 80's. There were young families with young kids in tow, few in their 20's & 30's as well a few teenagers.

There are fat & skinny riders, flash riders, novices & in between.

It is amazingly well organized with a motor cycle policeman who is a bike rider too but is employed to assist in coordinating the safety aspects of the ride. He is not afraid to warn or book drivers & cyclists doing the wrong thing. There are paramedics, massage therapists, a physiotherapist, (*$15 for 15 minutes) & Laureen has brilliant hands. There are 2 doctors as well.

The toilets are semi trailers with rows of cubicles & a trough for the means well! Showers too are on the semi trailers & not much room for modesty.

There is a licensed cafe with live & other music every-night. At 6.30 pm post shower & during dinner there is nightly briefing with a nightly news letter. These can be very funny as well as providing feedback information. The motorcycle police officer has been very funny. Often this involves a speech by a local counsellor or mayor as well as the Cycle Queensland head honcho.

Day one:. Good starter last Saturday. 55 km loop around Woodford. first 2/3rd's strong head winds made it tough

Day two: Woodford to Melaney - quite a few hills here & felt fit (those spin classes paid off). Only 46 km's but a fair bit was uphill but most of the hills were gradual (except of course for the one's that weren't Wink ). Beautiful country side stunning views, got to campsite early it was closed as they were still setting up. Off to the town ship for coffee & the aroma of BBQ sangs set up by a local community group back at the campsite proved far too tempting to miss.

I've eaten for two - just sooo hungry.

Day three: Melaney to Kenilworth: turn left out of the campsite then turn left again with in 20 meters & lo & behold: a 19 degree hill that was a mean bugger. If I was on the phone I would have been arrested for heavy breathing - was able to stand for most of it & felt proud of myself. I really felt sorry for some of the others who struggled & had to walk - that hill was mean & rude. That hill put lactic in front of acid. While there were down hills this day was a lot tougher than the profile looked.

Yesterday was over 80 km's & f*king hilly like the big dipper with some mean hills & nice decent. 58 km's is the fastest I've descended for a short period so far. That'll do me.

Yesterday was the longest day so far & very hilly, didn't have much energy & felt it on the hills.

Any ways I'm off for a brief period & will rejoin later. Going to get some lunch in town & trying to have a swim. Hope people are well & most important of all: go pies.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm so exhausted after reading that I need a nap!

Cheers, your nuts!

Enjoy!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:31 pm

think positive wrote:
I'm so exhausted after reading that I need a nap!

Cheers, your nuts!

Enjoy!

His nuts won't be cheering anyone for a while.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you for your concern about my testicles 😜 alls good. Off to my bed / sleeping bag, with a local band playing the usual hits. About 100 km's with some hills to start with. A big thank you to the 150 volunteers who make this & other rides possible.

In the evening briefing I won a free photo from the day before for having the biggest smile (we'd just finished the last of the hills & I was beaming & elated. However there was an issue with the the camera - made me look overweight 😳

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Don't ya hate those cameras!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:38 pm

Bloody hell WPT - my shout for a beer at the end Cool
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:01 am

Sounds great/hard work! Make sure you're back in time for Cinematheque next Wednesday. Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:04 am

Yes it sounds like it to me too, to lack the ability to develop emotional connection.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:11 pm

FMD. I need a new bum, 2 knees & a pair of hands. Arrived in Maryborough from Rainbow Beach about an hour ago. 110 km's (I took the longer option with a 14 km return trip to PoonA a bit if a sleepy hollow. The last 20 km's was effen hard.

Knackered is the word right now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15   

Jump to: