Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I hate the Olympics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt and Phelps, absolutely incredible.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 am

another point of view i found interesting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-22/rio-2016-a-look-back-at-the-olympics/7771162

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57 am

think positive wrote:
Another view

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/rio-olympics-2016-sport-a-nation-builder-in-a-time-when-national-boundaries-are-being-eroded-20160820-gqxeqj.html

Stopping the governments life long massive pensions would also be advantageous towards helping the homeless. There are many many things that could change.

The only experience I have personally is seeing the funding a competitor in a lesser sport receives, and believe me, it's not much. A few thousand a year. And that soon goes on travel to compete with the best around the world. My sister worked a full time job, training before and after work. It's only the top level that receive full sponsorship, and it's not all tax dollars, a lot is private money. Yes hosting the olympics, like every big government funded event, cost massive dollars, obscene amounts, too much. But it's not the cost of medals.

I like the olympics for the amazing achievements, there have been many at these games. Bolt, Phelps, the school kid form Adelaide, the girl from oz that won the modern pentatholon, that one brought me to tears! And also some really great acts of selflessness, sportsmanship, the Aussie that could have put the challenge for the bronze, athletes helping each other out on the track. Yes there has been some not so proud moments. But getting all those nations together for the closing ceremony. That's what it's all about, bringing people together. What's wrong with s little colour in a bleak world?

In fact, if one looked at the actual money spent on homelessness by our governments, one would likely find that more of it gets spent on the public servants who are "responsible" for dealing with the problem - and the external management consultants engaged to "review the effectiveness" of services - than reaches homeless people. Victoria's (inner-agency) public sector wages bill alone as of 18 months ago was in excess of $20 Billion per year. Fund sports people, don't fund sports people - but let's not embarrass ourselves by pretending that the trivial money we spend on supporting sport or the arts or any other cultural pursuit is sucking money away from the poor: the bourgeoisie does that all by itself.

To put some flesh on those bones, our State Government recently responded to a massive spike in Melbourne homelessness by allocating an extra $850,000 for homeless accommodation: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-18/melbourne-homelessness-spike-funding-boost-victorian-government/7638722

That's less than the annual salary (plus employment on-costs, typically estimated historically at 70% of salary) for two minimum-pay EO-1 executives: http://vpsc.vic.gov.au/executive-remuneration/victorian-public-service-executive-remuneration/
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:32 pm

^ it's been some time since I worked in remote NT but I doubt it's changed much - so much of the Government money for indigineous health just went on administrators and office space etc - very frustrating!! Evil or Very Mad
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:57 pm

The IOC prepare for some more finger-wagging:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/10/ioc-lay-down-law-over-olympic-protests-by-athletes-in-tokyo

Quote:
“The mission of the Olympics is to unite and not to divide. We are the only event in the world that gets the entire world together in a peaceful competition,” Bach told reporters after a meeting with the IOC athletes’ commission chief Kirsty Coventry.

“I ask them [politicians and athletes] to respect this mission of the Olympic Games and in order to accomplish this mission we must be politically neutral. Otherwise we would end up in this divisive and boycott situation. I ask them to respect this political neutrality by not using them [the Olympics] as a stage for their political purposes.”

Not a world united, but a fantasy image of a world united in "apolitical" (but actually just a specific kind of conformist, authoritarian) apathy. It's funny how a utopian ideal can so closely resemble totalitarianism in practice.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:02 pm

David wrote:
It's funny how a utopian ideal can so closely resemble totalitarianism in practice.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Or you could just $$%^%%$ enjoy it for what it is, or ignore it for what it isn’t!

I for one want to see the Chinese drug cheat get boooed again!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
It's funny how a utopian ideal can so closely resemble totalitarianism in practice.

Not sure if this is meant to be a gotcha, but yes, that is pretty much the exact story of communism. You’re not going to get any disagreement from me on that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25   

Jump to: