Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I hate the Olympics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Really?

I referred to a religion, not a generalisation about individual people.

go **** yourself.

That doesn't even make sense...kiss my giblets ...
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:23 am

A simple "goodbye" will do. Colloquial expression: not polite.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 am

David wrote:
And yet, this is the first time we've heard a Muslim athlete do this.

Rio 2016 Olympics: Lebanese athletes refuse to travel with Israel team

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36998989

Israeli athletes in Rio endure ‘shocking’ hostility, taunting by Muslim nations

“Shocking but not surprisingly, the Lebanese and Saudi delegations obviously have the wrong idea about the Olympic Games,” said a statement Wednesday by Roz Rothstein, CEO of the pro-Israel group Stand With Us.

“Instead of using the events to forget animosity and promote peace between people, they have brought their brainwashed minds to Rio,” she said. “How unfortunate that they could not implement the good, peaceful intentions of the Olympics, and instead have used it as a forum to spread hate and continued rejection of peace.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/10/israeli-athletes-rio-olympics-endure-shocking-host/

Israeli Wrestler Takes Olympic Gold Without Winning Single Match After All Muslim Opponents Forfeit

RIO DE JANEIRO- The Olympics, like Black Friday at Macy’s, are thought of as a place where people fight each other for pieces of jewelry, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

But, this normally pure pursuit has been marred by some classic, middle school bullying. So far, Lebanese athletes refused to share a bus with Israelis athletes, and Saudi and Syrian competitors have quit rather than face off against Israeli counterparts. But, as they say, every cloud has a silver Star of David.

Israeli wrestler, Dov Nagar, has received a gold medal without having to face a single opponent after each of his scheduled competitors from Syria, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Iran, forfeited after allegedly “catching a bit of the Zika"

https://www.themideastbeast.com/israeli-wrestler-takes-olympic-gold-without-winning-single-match-muslim-opponents-forfeit/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:39 am

The irony is that, as much as that is completely unacceptable, this probably has less to do with religion than with politics. Those lines are blurred, of course, re: Israel. But the point stands that trying to extrapolate something from an individual's behaviour, or that of a number of individuals, and claim it as representative of an entire faith is an ignorant and prejudiced thing to do.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:29 am

A lesson in sportsmanship for all

http://athletics.ca/statement-evan-dunfee-todays-50km-race-walk/#sthash.QmdI0GaY.uIuWdSn4.dpbs

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 am

David wrote:
The irony is that, as much as that is completely unacceptable, this probably has less to do with religion than with politics. Those lines are blurred, of course, re: Israel. But the point stands that trying to extrapolate something from an individual's behaviour, or that of a number of individuals, and claim it as representative of an entire faith is an ignorant and prejudiced thing to do.

Really?

What I said earlier

Quote:
One of the fundamental tenants of Islam is that everyone who is not one of the faith has the status of an animal.

In the Koran, you are either one of the faith, a Muslim, or you are an infidel.

If you can't get your head around that you're the ignorant one.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:50 am

^ But that's completely irrelevant, because the issue here seems to be some Muslim athletes refusing to compete with or behaving in unsportsmanlike fashion with Israelis, not 'infidels' in general.

As I alluded to before, a lot of Muslim animosity towards Israel as a state is based ostensibly on the country's (genuinely awful) treatment of its Muslim Palestinian minority. Personally, I think a certain amount of that is just a cover for anti-Semitism and religious intolerance, and while I understand (without supporting) boycott campaigns, once it starts extending to treating individual Israelis disrespectfully then it's gone way too far into spite and intolerance. As someone with a Jewish girlfriend and child, I also find it disgusting.

But let's remember that this is something that some Muslim athletes have done. Quoting Koran verses as some kind of explanation for this behaviour is just nonsense.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:03 pm

I personally doubt the Muslim attitude to israel has anything to do with how Israel treats anyone. It's purely institutionalised anti semitism.

Different strains of Islam may fight each other, but put a Jew in the room and they'll all have a common enemy.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:26 pm

And yet, American Muslims overwhelmingly seem to have supported a Jewish presidential candidate during the Democratic primaries:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/07/new-york-s-muslims-are-feelin-the-you-know.html

So perhaps these things are more complex than some would make out.

HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Compare that to European Muslims overwhelmingly seem to supported a Jewish presidential candidate during the Democratic primaries httpwww dotthedailybeastdot comarticles20160407new-york-s-muslims-are-feelin-the-you-know.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:09 pm

David wrote:

Nope very bloody simple - if a country or any individual chosen to represent their country wants to compete at the Olympic Games then they leave their religious/political beliefs and prejudices at home or at least hide them in a shoe-box under their beds in their accommodation and compete against all competitors and abide by the rules of their chosen sport.

If they can't do that then they should not be allowed to compete at all - back on the bus, straight to the airport and waved bye bye - end of!!!

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:

Nope very bloody simple - if a country or any individual chosen to represent their country wants to compete at the Olympic Games then they leave their religious/political beliefs and prejudices at home or at least hide them in a shoe-box under their beds in their accommodation and compete against all competitors and abide by the rules of their chosen sport.

If they can't do that then they should not be allowed to compete at all - back on the bus, straight to the airport and waved bye bye - end of!!!

I hate the olympics with a passion but yeh, what Morrigu said.

MM

HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Studies show that 99%25 of people spell Hmm with 2 M's.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 am

Back to the original topic of the thread before Stui and I ruined it, I thought this was good:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155571833222588&id=20915222587

Same story all over the world, of course. Host cities in particular.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:46 am

Another view

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/rio-olympics-2016-sport-a-nation-builder-in-a-time-when-national-boundaries-are-being-eroded-20160820-gqxeqj.html

Stopping the governments life long massive pensions would also be advantageous towards helping the homeless. There are many many things that could change.

The only experience I have personally is seeing the funding a competitor in a lesser sport receives, and believe me, it's not much. A few thousand a year. And that soon goes on travel to compete with the best around the world. My sister worked a full time job, training before and after work. It's only the top level that receive full sponsorship, and it's not all tax dollars, a lot is private money. Yes hosting the olympics, like every big government funded event, cost massive dollars, obscene amounts, too much. But it's not the cost of medals.

I like the olympics for the amazing achievements, there have been many at these games. Bolt, Phelps, the school kid form Adelaide, the girl from oz that won the modern pentatholon, that one brought me to tears! And also some really great acts of selflessness, sportsmanship, the Aussie that could have put the challenge for the bronze, athletes helping each other out on the track. Yes there has been some not so proud moments. But getting all those nations together for the closing ceremony. That's what it's all about, bringing people together. What's wrong with s little colour in a bleak world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25   

Jump to: