Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lebron James! GOAT!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:28 pm
Post subject: Lebron James! GOAT!Reply with quote

He is a man!! Pure and simple. I wish we had guys at Collingwood with that determination to win no matter what!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Snip time!!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Benno Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:48 pm

LBJ, whilst great, isn't G.O.A.T.

If it wasn't for Kyrie being clutch though....
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Benno wrote:

yeah Kyrie was clutch, but Lebrons block was huge as well
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Benno wrote:

that's like saying without Steve Kerr's game winning shot for the Bulls, Michael Jordan wouldn't have one.

Kyrie was terrific. Arguably the best handle in the game right now and what he can do on the drive is other worldly.

Lebron James is on another planet.

Defense, passing, scoring in the post, his jump shot, his attack on the basket, his one percent'ers. He is simply the best.

GOAT is a hard thing to agree on. he is my pick for GOAT! Michael is second. Michael never faced a team like the Warriors. he was never 3-1 down. he never played in 6 NBA finals in a row - moving to the worst team in the league and taking them to that finals in his first year!!!!!

Oscar Robinson, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan all rolled into 265 pounds of Athletic supremacy!!!!!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Benno wrote:

James Block was just as Big as Kyrie's 3

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Jordan is the GOAT.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Who cares. LeBron went back to Cleveland to give his home town a championship and did it within 2 years. He is a big game player and delivers in the big games. 6 in a row ain't bad with two teams. 3 rings now. He's closing in on MJ.
Al Swearengen 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Jezza wrote:
Jordan is the GOAT.

Yep, and not even close.
Bird and Magic Johnson are also ahead of LeBron.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:00 am

[quote="E"]
Benno wrote:
GOAT is a hard thing to agree on. he is my pick for GOAT! Michael is second. Michael never faced a team like the Warriors. he was never 3-1 down.

That's because he was the GOAT. GOAT don't get 3-1 down, that's why they are regarded as GOAT. Lebron is on the next tier down, shared with Magic, Bird et al

I think the result says less about Lebron and more about Curry and his standing.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:16 am

Jerry Rice.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Al Swearengen wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Jordan is the GOAT.

Yep, and not even close.
Bird and Magic Johnson are also ahead of LeBron.

i might have agreed with you three years ago. Now it is definitely in the "we can agree to disagree" stage. michael won nothing without Scottie Pippen. LeBron could get the 76'ers to the finals if he joined them next year and they are the worst team in the NBA in the past 20 years.

I don't think Jordan in his prime scores in a game of one on one with Lebron. Simple. That's enough for me.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:41 pm

[quote="Cam"]
E wrote:
Benno wrote:
GOAT is a hard thing to agree on. he is my pick for GOAT! Michael is second. Michael never faced a team like the Warriors. he was never 3-1 down.

That's because he was the GOAT. GOAT don't get 3-1 down, that's why they are regarded as GOAT. Lebron is on the next tier down, shared with Magic, Bird et al

I think the result says less about Lebron and more about Curry and his standing.

with respect, that opinion is about three years old. You need a new narrative after what LeBron has achieved with an inferior team. who did Jordan even beat??? He didnt have a rival in the era. His team mate might have been the second best player in the NBA at the time.

LeBron just beat a team that was even more successful than any of MJ's teams.

dont get me wrong, i love MJ. LeBron is just better all around.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:48 am
Post subject: Re: LEBRON JAMES!!!!! GOAT!Reply with quote

LBJ has won over a lot of people in the last 7 days.

This finals series will go down as one of the greatest by an individual player. And it will go down as the best comeback as they were all but gone.

Although LBJ has been in 6 finals series straight, he has still lost 5 out of 8 finals. And James’ first finals was a straight sweep. 0-4. Getting to the final is a huge achievement in itself, but as yesterday proves, the winners are the ones who get compared to the greats. If GSW won, it wouldn't be LBJ-MJ, it would be these Warriors-90s Bulls. And it was the same with Kobe when he was winning titles.

E wrote:
Michael never faced a team like the Warriors.

MJ faced and defeated many great teams.

Malone-Russell-Ostertag-Hornacek-Stockton. Coach-Jerry Sloan. (Twice!).

Malone was considered the second best player around this time. He won the MVP in 1997 and he does not have a ring because of MJ. This Utah team is probably the best team to never win a title. Clearly weak at the C position, but the rest of that starting 5 is insanely good, particularly Malone & Stockton. I would go as far as to say that this Utah team would push both these Cavs and Warriors to the brink. (All great games btw (well 11 our of 12, there was one where the Bulls absolutely killed them). If they ever release them on dvd, you'll see some great games).

Kemp-Schrempf-Johnson-Hawkins-Payton. Coach-George Karl.

This was the year that the Bulls went 72-10. And even though this side has Kemp at the height of his powers as well as Gary Payton, its probably the weakest starting 5 MJ had to face in the finals. And people forget how good Kemp was. He was a monster, but he let a cocaine and alcohol addiction ruin what could have been a much more memorable career. As far as defensive point guards go, Gary Payton is the best. I would love to see him on the likes of Curry now days. The battle between Jordan-Payton was epic. Although, I always felt like the Bull should have won this in 5 (They were up 3-0). Pippen for memory had a great series too.

Barkley-Dumas-West-Majerle-Johnson. Coach-Paul Westphal.

Ah the good old team of destiny. Another that was weak at the C, but still a ferocious side. Sir Charles won that seasons MVP and the Suns won 62 games that year and were the favourite to take it out. The Bulls then went on to win the first two games in Phoenix and would have swept if they had won the triple overtime match in game 3. Parts of this series are on various Bulls/Jordan dvds, but the entire series is yet to be released on dvd. Jordan dominated this series. Dominated.

Kersey-Williams-Duckworth-Drexler-Porter. Coach-Rick Adelman.

Another extremely talented backcourt. The Blazers have been an unlucky team over the years, and they could not match the Bulls. Drexler was a freak, but Jordan was just too dominate again.

Perkins-Worthy-Divac-Johnson-Scott. Coach-Mike Dunleavy.

You could make the argument that this was the tail end of the showtime Lakers. Kareem had given it away and Magic was closing in on the end of his career. Had the Bulls passed Detroit, they would have faced LA earlier, so this match up was highly anticipated. However, this LA team was still a top team and the Bulls took them out in 5. And Magic was the previous seasons MVP. Pippen was sensational. This series is available on DVD.

And those are just the teams he faced in the Finals.

In the playoffs, he defeated;

Oakleigh-Mason-Ewing-Starks-Harper, and basically anything the Knicks could throw at him.

Grant-Scott-ONeal-Hardaway-Anderson.

Barkley-Williams-Bol-Hawkins-Dawkins.

Long-Rice-Seikely-Askins-Smith.

Nance-Ferry-Dougherty-Ehlo-Price.

Willis-Wilkins-Konkak-Augmon-Blaylock.

Willis-Gatling-Mourning-Chapman-Hardaway.

Webber-Howard-Muresan-Strickland-Cheaney.

Laettner-Barry-Mutombo-Smith-Blaylock.

Mashburn-Marjerle-Mourning-Grant-Hardaway.

Mason-Rice-Divac-Armstrong-Bogues.

Davis-Rose-Smits-Miller-Jackson.

Here is the team that beat Jordan in 1989 and 1990:

Rodman-Edwards-Laimbeer-Dumars-Thomas. Coach-Chuck Daly.

What a team. What an era. This Pistons team could match it with any of the championship sides in the history of the game. They went deep too, with Salley, Aguire and Vinnie Johnson on the bench. This side crunched Jordan and heavily targeted Pippen. MJ and the Bulls did eventually beat this team in 1991.

The Pistons won the ECF in 6 games in 89 and in 7 in 1990. Both series are available on DVD and they are great. (They also lost to this Pistons team in 88 in the second round).

So yeah, I would even argue that MJ faced and lost against better teams/players than LBJ has.

E wrote:
he was never 3-1 down.

No, but you could argue that's not a great thing. I mean MJ never put himself in that position. A fantastic effort by the Cavs none the less. I suppose you could ask, if the Bulls were down 3-1 in any of their 6 championship series', would they have come back to win? I would say yes to all but both the Utah and the Suns series.

E wrote:
he never played in 6 NBA finals in a row - moving to the worst team in the league and taking them to that finals in his first year!!!!!

Also a great effort. But how weak has the eastern conference been? Would this had happened if he went to the worst team in the west that year which was.... the Utah Jazz? I highly doubt it.

And with MJ leaving the game after 1993, there is no chance he could play in 6 finals in a row. He did however play in 9 out of ten conference finals if you do not include the year where he was playing baseball. He lost to that insane Pistons team.

Would James be playing all these Finals is he were in the west? Again, its doubtful.

Besides, the Cavs were actually 10th, not last, and missed the playoffs by 5 games that year.

E wrote:
that's like saying without Steve Kerr's game winning shot for the Bulls, Michael Jordan wouldn't have one.

Good point. Also J-Pax in 1993. I always found it silly when people say Allen and now Irving won the game/series. If James didn't have the game he did, there would be no Irving shot. Same with MJ in 1993 and 1997. If James and Jordan took those shots, I would back them to make the shot. (I think Allens shot was the hardest and most impressive of those shots, but the others are still great to watch).

E wrote:
who did Jordan even beat???

Again, that is hugely incorrect and somewhat disrespectful to the players of the time.

Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, John Stockton, Shaq, Isaiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, etc, etc, etc is hardly what I'd call no-one.

There are many player who do not have a ring (or never got the opportunity to win one) because they ran into Jordan. A lot of the guys who ended up winning one or got into the finals did it when Jordan was retired.

E wrote:
He didnt have a rival in the era.

Bulls-Pacers, Bulls-Knicks, Bulls-Heat. Bulls-Cavs…. All huge series in the 90’s. And I’ve already gone through the teams he faced in the finals.

E wrote:
LeBron just beat a team that was even more successful than any of MJ's teams.

What by one game? And how are the warriors more successful than the Bulls? Because they won one more season game? Chicago won 6 titles and had a 72 win season with a title. LeBron is yet to play on a 70 win team, so it's kind of a weird thing to say.

E wrote:
michael won nothing without Scottie Pippen.

E wrote:
His team mate might have been the second best player in the NBA at the time.

This argument comes up plenty. But one thing that annoys me is that many people do not rate Scottie Pippen, but then those people will say that MJ never won it without him. But it is true, MJ never won a title without Pippen.

In saying that, James has had plenty of fantastic teammates; Wade, Irving, Bosh, Love. Would he have three rings without those guys?

I highly rate Scottie Pippen. I always felt like he was a much better player than many gave him credit for. And it was a shame that he couldn't get the Blazers into the 2000 final when the Lakers came from nowhere in the WCF game 7. Had Pip/Blazers gotten through, the Blazers probably would have beaten Indiana. Things fell apart for that team in 01. They had a great group but I feel like 'Sheed and Stoudamire really let them down when it mattered. And Brian Grant (IMO) was atrocious in that game 7 and should take most of the blame for that swing in momentum.

Still, I wouldn’t say MJ was nothing without Pippen. Was Magic nothing without Kareem? Was Bird nothing without McHale? Etc.

E wrote:
LeBron could get the 76'ers to the finals if he joined them next year and they are the worst team in the NBA in the past 20 years.

Into the playoffs yes, but the finals? I know it’s a weak conference, but the Celtics, Heat and Raptors are three sides that would be hard to get past. Possibly the Bulls too if they stayed healthy.

E wrote:
I don't think Jordan in his prime scores in a game of one on one with Lebron. Simple. That's enough for me.

That’s also a silly thing to say. One of the greatest scorers and greatest defenders not scoring a point? One on one is very different, there are no open shots, there are no run down blocks, there are no huge dunks. Defensively is James really better than Jordan? Sadly, we’ll never know who would win in a one on one, but if they had say 100 games, you couldn’t tell me MJ wouldn’t win at least 40% of those games? I’ll still take MJ. In fact one on one, I’d still take Larry and Scottie too. And Kobe one on one would be extremely difficult too. 1 on 1 is a completely different ball game, but again we are never going to know. To say Jordan wouldn’t score a point is tragically inaccurate.

As far as the teamVteam stuff goes:

When you look at the better team, the 90’s Bulls would be far too physical for the Warriors. And as far as mental strength goes, well we saw what happened to the Warriors. Yeah they beat the record by one game, but mentally and physically the Bulls would be far too dominant. The evidence is there when you look at the Utah series’. (Yes, I think those Jazz would defeat the Warriors too).

Against the Cavs, I think would be a better series. Most people would drool at the thought of MJ Vs LBJ. However, I think it would be Pippen who would guard James. I don’t think there is anyone that could guard both MJ and Pippen from Cleveland. And defensively, the Bulls would also be too strong. The Bulls were the kings of mental strength. I know James is too, but the rest of the Cavs team are not.

For both teams, I just feel like the Bulls have too many options at both ends of the floor. I mean they had Kukoc coming off the bench.

So (and this is only my opinion) the Bulls would beat both these Cleveland and Golden State teams. (I know no one here was arguing that, I just felt like adding it in).

(Rockets-Bulls would have been a great series in 1994 or 1995, Olajuwon would have really stretched the Bulls at the C position, but they did stop Ewing/Shaq/Zo around these years). (Again the Rockets-Knicks series is on dvd, it is one of the best series you will ever see). (Bulls-Lakers would also have been great, but we missed out as Jordan retired, Pippen went to Houston before the Lakers won it all in 2000). We came close to seeing the Rockets/Lakers Vs Bulls in 1997 & 1998, for memory.

So in short;

I have no doubt that LeBron James is easily one of the best players the game has ever seen. He is easily in the top ten. And probably in the top 5. But I don’t think he is greater than Michael Jordan. Curry has a lot to prove to come back into the discussion.

Both MJ and LBJ are unlucky not to have more MVP’s. I felt that LeBron was unlucky not to get it in 2015 and 2014. MJ unlucky in 97 & 93. But that’s the nature of the award. I thought David Robinson should not have won it in 95 (I honestly thought Pippen or Malone should have taken it that year).

E wrote:
I wish we had guys at Collingwood with that determination to win no matter what!

This, I wholeheartedly agree with you on. I have no doubt we'll see Delly visit the Holden Centre some time in the near future, maybe he can bring LBJ with him? Cool

Sorry for the long post.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 am
Post subject: Re: LEBRON JAMES!!!!! GOAT!Reply with quote

its 4 out of 7 dude so you were wrong right out of the gate.

Listing the starting 5 of each team doesnt make them great. None of those teams went 73-9 and possessed that years' UNANIMOUS MVP (Curry), the three point shooting champ (Thompson), an All-star (Green), an Olympian and reigning playoff MVP (Iguodala), multiple number 1 and top 10 draft picks, Bogut and Barnes, and a host of talented subs who were starting 5 calibere players on ANY other team - Shaun Livingston, Barbosa, Festis Aleli, Mo Speights!!! I mean that team is ridiculous.

We can agree to disagree. Michael Jordan was my absolute idol growing up. He is not the basketball pplayer that LeBron James has become.

As for his efforts in the finals this year, they pale by comparison to his efforts last year (a performance that by your opening remarks, you somehow consider a slight on James). Afterall, Dellevedova, who isnt good enough a player to even get minutes in this years playoff's was the second best player on LeBrons team last year. Mozgov, who also couldnt get minutes on the court this year was second highest scorer behind LeBron.

Finally, Jordan never won anything without Scottie Pippen and most of his six championship teams were stacked with talent much as GSW are (and had the GOAT coach in his prime). You make a silly point that he never lost in the finals, but what that fails to acknowledge (even though you point out later without even realizing it), the best teams of MJs generation were actually in the east. So while Michael lost plenty of playoff series (including multiple times against the Pistons), they occurred earlier in the playoffs than the finals. LeBron has played his entire career against the West so when he faced the equivalent of the Pistons, it was in the finals rather than ion the ECF. NOt sure that this proves MJ was more clutch because he was a loser earlier.

NO way MJ takes Lebron's first team to the Finals. NO way MJ takes Cleveland of last year to the finals. He always had a healthyt Scottie Pippen and a great team behind him. Well that's all we remember because before Scottie Pippen became a first team All world player, MJ did nothing but lose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: