Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rookie 2: Welcome to Pies - Brenden Abbott (Claremont)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.

He is a Rookie Pick so Less Hurt IF he does get homesick

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be supporting Abbott.

His nickname could be the Mad Monk.

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Joel wrote:
Has the same name as the Postcard Bandit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenden_Abbott (surely a nickname in that?).

Mark Fine on Sen mentioned last night that there is a rookie named Abbott in the draft that is related to "The Postcard Bandit"

It probably is him

Was he the only Abbott in the draft ?

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but Abbott is the nephew of Brendan Abbott - ' The Postcard Bandit '.

So as for nicknames, how about 'Postcards'.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:10 pm

another penetrating left footer - seems to be a bit of a trend along with physical hard nuts

Watching his footage he reminds me of Darryl White

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:31 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24546685/settled-abbott-finds-footy-passion-again/
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Lazza wrote:
Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24546685/settled-abbott-finds-footy-passion-again/

Claremont tyro Brenden Abbott says achieving a settled lifestyle outside of football has been more important to him than achieving his AFL dream.

The 19-year-old was touted as a draft prospect last year based on his explosive speed, strength and vertical leap, having recorded a rare 2.87 second time in the 20m sprint at the 2013 State combine to showcase his athletic ability.

But his decision to leave the national under-18s championships early to return home to Albany for personal reasons and question marks over his stamina and off-field habits led to the powerfully built footballer being overlooked on draft day.

Abbott returned to Perth over the off-season and, with the help of Claremont officials including football manager Dean Hors- ington, secured a full-time train-eeship in January with the Fire and Emergency Services Authority.

That stability has gradually translated into improving form on the field, with the teenager producing his best game of the season last Saturday against Swan Districts at the Claremont Showground.

Abbott booted a career-high 5.4 playing as the team's full- forward. His performance was all the more impressive given his direct opponent was WA full-back and Swans captain Tallan Ames.

The draft hopeful said he felt his life was coming together off the field, which he described as his main goal for 2014.

"I wanted to just have a consistent lifestyle, to come up and really just work, live, be healthy and enjoy my footy," Abbott said.

"That was my goal coming in. Whether or not I played good or not wasn't really on my to-do list, but so be it.

"I think it (getting drafted) is in a way a stepping stone for me to just gradually become a better person, a better role model."

Abbott said he left the State program last year mainly to care for his ill mother and help with issues linked to his family.

"I was very disappointed knowing the chance I could have had, but on the flipside I'm here, I'm on track, the clock's gone around and I feel excited and happy with where I'm going," Abbott said.

"I look back and I see the disappointment that was there. I could've, should've, but now is the time to just really look forward rather than looking back."

Abbott has played every game since round nine and now has 15 goals in his first WAFL league season.

It is believed he is on West Coast's radar, with the Eagles in the market for strong, fast midfielders who are also versatile.

Abbott was switched into the forward line this season after playing much of his junior football as a half-back flanker. He said he had set his sights on finishing the year strongly, starting with tomorrow's clash against East Fremantle at the Showground.

"I've always played half-back, but you've got to be able to play everywhere nowadays," Abbott said. "It's a good learning curve."
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxH_xrq4-o&feature=youtu.be
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Thanks Dave.

He's built like a brick shizzen houzzen. I'm really excited about this kid. With a season of WAFL behind him, he could be ready to go. He could very well play senior footy early in the season. One thing's for sure, there'll be no spots for soft c#cks in our team this year. Absolutely rapt. Very Happy
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Wrapped that we have taken a chance on this kid.

If he and Maynard can both make it at AFL level then look out.

We've wanted some naturally aggressive types with size on our list and Hine has delivered.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25325751/abbott-prime-draft-prospect/

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Fast, skills and good height. All good!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Thanks Dave.

He's built like a brick shizzen houzzen. I'm really excited about this kid. With a season of WAFL behind him, he could be ready to go. He could very well play senior footy early in the season. One thing's for sure, there'll be no spots for soft c#cks in our team this year. Absolutely rapt. Very Happy

Like Marsh I think we'll need to be a little patient.

Derek Hine Says: Brenden Abbotts a little bit of a project player for us, hes had limited exposure to the system. He comes from Albany in Western Australia and hes good friends with Marley Williams, so theres a little bit of an association there. Having only played the game for two years, hes really powerful and has just got a really natural talent. Were going to need to be a little bit patient with him because his form line will fluctuate up and down, but we feel that by bringing him in that he could potentially do some damage inside forward fifty. Hes a beautiful kick of the football, he comes in with the right attitude so were really confident in our program with our coaches, coaching staff and the profile of our playing group, he addresses a need inside 50 for us. Were really pleased to bring him in.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Touch of the Fevs about him.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Wokko wrote:
Touch of the Fevs about him.

Does seem to show a bit of that sort of attitude in some of his play
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Welcome to the club Brenden Smile

He certainly comes across as a risky pick but it could pay off big time if Brendan gets fit and is able to break his way into the side.

He definitely looks like a hard nut who's not scared to go in hard to win his own ball. He also has a good left foot going by his highlights reel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: