Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Would we dare do this?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our on Dangerfield in Freeman, no need to chase another. It's always better to create our own stars, cheaper and more effective. I'm never big on chasing top end talent from other teams, you'll usually lose more than you gain. I wouldn't say no to Dangerfield as a free agent on reasonable money though Very Happy.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Seems Gerard Whateley was thinking what I was thinking.

Quote:
But what happens next year if Christian Petracca is offered the same irresistible deal after his debut season with the Saints?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-trade-period-has-caught-up-to-other-sports-gerard-whateley-says-to-embrace-it/story-e6frf3e3-1227094209737

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Considering we lost lame beams for arguably unders, though time will tell.i would like to think the club could manufacture just about anything as any other club can do, especially if we see some big scalps fall to the sword of the pies in 2015. the lure could be to hard to past if a premiership is just around the corner. Thats the goal for the board to mull over.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 am

swoop42 wrote:
I think we should target a proven elite midfielder like Dangerfield next year if we have the cap space available.

Miss out on him then the following year if Petracca is looking the goods then sure go after him with an attractive 4 or 5 year deal but not at the price that it took to get Boyd.

That was just madness by the dogs IMO and could easily end up being a total bust of epic proportions.

If Petracca is truly a hardcore Collingwood supporter then I doubt we'd need to offer such outlandish contract terms anyway and would never do it for a second year midfielder no matter how good.

to grab a once a generation type forward (which is what Boyd has been described as to this point), i think the gamble is worth it. especially since the doggies are otherwsie building quite a nice young team. Unfortunately for the bulldogs, theyt just dont have the ability to attract top line talent and so they had to overpay and take a chance that the more established clubs might not need to take.

I commend them. Having said that, given that we already have cloke and Moore, i dont think it makes sense for us to do it (and certainly not on a midfielder). At best Petracca is a top 10 calibre talent. you will recall we just traded one of those away and most of us said it was no big deal in the end.......

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

Be very interesting to assess where we're at after the 2015 season. I'm thinking we'll be starting to wonder whether we need to chase a Dangerfield type following the emergence of some of our kids. Someone less established like a Petracca or a Treloar may well be a better option, or we could just opt to top up via the draft. Interesting times ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: