Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1970s Cheer Squad members - where are you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Back-Pocket 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Rod - I remember the Sherrin stand before it was extended, red rattlers, Kyle (whatever happened to Kyle?), Bugsy or Puppet, and I know the difference between run-throughs (I was responsible for most of them for a couple of years mid-70s) and banners. How do I get to the cheer squad site on Facebook ? And how do you remember all this stuff?
Re,
Allan
Windsor Greg 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi Rod

I think you will remember me from the cheer squad days, I used to catch the train at Nunawading, last carriage, and remember things like going to the Classic whilst others went to MacDonalds. I also remember "dump master" and other choice nick names such as "dairy queen and blow fly".

Puppet still goes and sits with us in the social club, level 1 Ponsford Stand, Kyle Stewart was last seen in Brisbane when they were the Bears!! As for Bugsy, watch the 1990 GF video for his cameo appearance. Stephen Bell lives down on the surf coast somewhere, he is usually providing expert comment at the Bells Surfing Pro, that is the last time I saw him.

My guess is that Back Pocket Allan is none other than the legendary Allan R#%k, with the point 05 number on his jumper!! Heather Mitchell lives in Coffs Harbour, I have email contact with her, she is a legend, who could ever forget her comment in the E J Whitten Stand......and my xxxx bleeds for you Footscray!!!

If you noticed on the website at the family day there was a banner - copy of the old Domination banner from 73, Mick Butler was responsible for it.

I last saw you at the MCG at a reunion in about 2000, I rocked up with Puppet, it was a Queens Birthday game against Melbourne.

Hope you are well and regards Allan if you read this post.

MattyD 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:05 am

R-o-d wrote:
Now over 100 members on the 'secret' Facebook page - "VFL Cheer Squads". Lots of old photos and memories from all club cheer squads. Long banners, huge run-throughs, concerts, finals costumes, and floggers...lots'n'lots of floggers.

I really miss the big cheer squads we used to have. The Tigers had those big floggers across two rows on the weekend and it looked awesome.
Magpies4 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 am

Hello there did you know a person by the name of Joy Hogg in the old cheer squad days
Magpies4 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 pm

Or ok and we're is this vfl cheer squad page i can't find it I would love to have a look at the cheer squad back then and go pies
Magpies4 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 am

Hi again would you be able to help me? Do you know how to make patties that the old cheer squad made out of crepe the really big ones that went like black white black. Hope you can help or somebody you know
Magpies4 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks mate your a great help but how can I contact Kevin from Carlton as I would be happy to give him money to make me one
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Rod I was a member in the late 70's early 80's, which makes alot younger than some of you. Anyway I was actually thinking today about a reunion of past members and then I came across this. I also say that nothing is a new idea just an idea that has be rehased. Anyway I would love to join, I have a duffle jacket and loads of photos, not necessarily cheer squad but I have the sewn on badges from the cheer squad. My name is virginia miller, do you have a book that you can check to see that I was a member?

People scoff at me but at that stage in my life, I was young and at school, very niaeve and I found the cheer squad a great group to be with and safe. I learnt more about Melbourne by travelling to all the games all over melbourne and as time went on became friends with many locals and in turn learnt about early history of collingwood (not necessarily footy related) than any school could teach me. I think this history (supporters and local families) is lost on todays generation and in a way, we are the ones who should have a place at the club to promote this.

malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 pm
Post subject: Re: 1970s Cheer Squad members - where are you?Reply with quote

R-o-d wrote:
Looking for old members of the 1970s (or earlier) cheer squad - that is:
VFL, not AFL;
Official Cheer Squad and Outer Cheer Squad, not Grog squad;
Independent cheer squad, not club controlled cheer squad.

They were the days that if you were 25, you were probably far too old to be in the Cheer Squad, and simply moved your reserve seat to somewhere futher back in the Sherrin Stand.

If you can remember the Sherrin stand before it was extended, red rattlers, Kyle, Bugsy or Puppet, and know the difference between run-throughs and banners, then you're the person I'm looking for.

Maybe you remember the great flogger fire of 72, the mini-patties on pencils that were confiscated by Sgt Watkins in 76, or the bring-back-floggers protest march to the City Square.

Pls give me a yell as we have a VFL Cheer Squads site tucked away on Facebook that we'd love you to be a part of.

Also, if anybody has any old cheer squad photos from that time, or, copies of the "Magpie Times" cheer squad newsletter that began around 1978-79, I'd love to hear from you too.

Cheers,
Rod
Treasurer 76-78, President 79
Life member original COCS

Rod do you know of a guy called Max and he lived in the Moonee Ponds/Essendon area, around late 70's

Back-Pocket 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Back-Pocket wrote:
on 16/2/2013: G'day Rod - I remember the Sherrin stand before it was extended, red rattlers, Kyle (whatever happened to Kyle?), Bugsy or Puppet, and I know the difference between run-throughs (I was responsible for most of them for a couple of years mid-70s) and banners. How do I get to the cheer squad site on Facebook ? And how do you remember all this stuff?
Re,
Allan

Update added 21/5/20: Things you do during COVID-19 isolation....Browsing the web and came across Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board (some years later)....

To Windsor Greg, yes Back-Pocket Allan is Allan R#%k, with the point 05 number on his jumper. I'm still alive and kicking; the jumper however long gone. Wore it one too many times such that no amount of repair sewing was going to fix it. FYI: it was Ronny Wearmouth's jumper #35, so was easy to change to .05
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: