Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made us 'Collingwood people'? from '01 - Add your story

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattyD 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like being a collingwood supporter.

I know where I come from.

And I'm proud of where I come from.

My Irish ancestors moved to Collingwood in the 1850s, poor and Catholic.

Family legend says in the 1890s our family would hide John Wren and his men when the police would raid his bookmaking business. True? who knows.

But we were there from the beginning.

Dad fell in love and married a pommie jew from wales in the '60s who wanted her 3 boys to play rugby. Never happened.

Dad started taking us to Vic Park in the '70s.
I now take my boy to games.

Collingwood is in the blood.
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm

As soon as I was born I was a collingwood supporter, my dad won out there so my life as I know it has been collingwood. I do remember when I started to really follow the footy was when my dad took my to Vic Park in the early 70's in the outer. then on of course in 77 with the live GF and I remember decorating and making food for the day, my Uncle came over. I remember running outside in the last quater cause i was just freeking out.

However my father was no originally a collingwood supporter he was born in Stkilda and his parents were mad saints fans up to when they both died they were memebers of the saints and I also remember going to morrabin and sitting in the saints members stand (the day carman kicked nine in the last) Anyway, the reason my dad changed allengence to collingwood was because his older sister kept on beating him up and he thought by becoming a collingwood suppoter and suppoting a team that won more than they lost he could fight back. Well that was certainly evident in 2010 pity it took 60 years!!!!!

mgbourne Aries

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Living in Perth, my first taste of VFL footy was as a 6 year old watching the 79 grand final on a small b/w telly with all my family hoping for a Carlton win. I alone chose the other side, although mildly disappointed on the day after the bollocking I received from people who now all support west coast, I am safe in the knowledge that:

1. The pain has made me stronger
2. I am part of the Collingwood family
3. That when I die Collingwood win the GF every year in Heaven cause God's a Collingwood supporter

To this day I know in my heart and my soul that I have chosen wisely!

Beast 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Some great stories here, unfortunately mine only goes back as far as 1997. I was living with an ex-Adelaide girl at the time who naturally was a big Crows fan and had a rather serious disdain of all things Port. When the Pies gave Port a nice warm welcome to the AFL to the tune of 80 something points I've decided this is going to be my team. My missus warning me about Collingwood being the most hated Club in the land only reinforced my choice due to my slightly antagonistic nature. The other things that helped me make my choice were the colours, which I loved, working on Smith street at the time and that game being the first one I watched in full after trying to get into Aussie Rules for four years.

Never ever looked back and am proud to support without a doubt the best sporting Club in universe.

Floreat Pica
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Top thread. I love all the recent additions, my story is in here somewhere if anyone cares to go back and find it.

I'm not re posting it, but suffice to say there's been a few choices in my life I've regretted. Choosing to be a Collingwood supporter for now 35 years isn't one of them.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm

It's funny that a few of our stories have their origin in Canberra. More than you would think.

I was brainwashed by my brother from a very early age. He was twelve years older than me and a strong influence - he was seventeen when I was five and certainly a hero figure. My parents followed the Rugby League - I even found myself swept up in the excitement of the Raiders premierships in 89 - 91. We followed Queensland in the State of Origin because so many Raiders heroes were cockroaches - Belcher, Meninga, Chicka Ferguson, Chris O'Sullivan to mention a few. I followed the Pies all of this time but Mum was taking my brother and I to Raiders games and so I followed both. These days I could name you maybe ten League players and two of them have played AFL.

My dad and brother had a poor relationship and I'm sure choosing to follow Aussie Rules was part of the rebellion. He was watching a game on a black and white tv in the early 70s and picked the team whose jumper looked better in that medium. He taught me to sing the song and parrot propaganda. I had absolutely no say in it at all. He and I don't really talk these days - however, I will always be grateful that he turned me into a Pies supporter. It is the single best thing he ever did for me by a bloody long way.

Opportunities to watch the Pies were few and far between, even on television. I can't be sure but I reckon we only got one game a week on the tv in Canberra in the 80s - if Collingwood didn't feature in the match of the day, stiff titties. They came with Fitzroy for an exhibition game at Manuka - which Fitzroy won easily, and which featured very few 'names' bigger than Wes Fellowes and Mick Gayfer. I was rapt to see Gayfer though. Shaw and Daics and Pants and Dougie Barwick would have been nice too, though.

I was 13 in 1990 and while being a Collingwood supporter was an important part of my identity even then, and I remember wearing my scarf to school after we won the flag, I certainly wasn't the mental case I became in the leadup to our next cracks at Grand Final victory.

We also went once, by car, to see the pies play in Sydney. That was the first VFL game I went to and it was the only one until I moved to Queensland at sixteen and eventually to Brisbane for Uni. Going to the Gabba to see the Pies play was such a privilege.

My best mate switched from Geelong to become a founding Lions supporter and a rivalry with truly tragic outcomes was born. I love the man but when we talk footy I'd mostly like to reach down the phone line and wring his neck. The bastards beat us twice. Both times I made mammoth efforts to be there - in 2002 I went so far as to hitch a ride on the Brisbane Lions cheer squad bus. I heard the Lions theme song enough on that return journey to never need to hear it again for the rest of my life. These days I change the words for my own amusement and sing them LOUD in order to drown out that devil's music.

Then six years ago, living and working on the Gold Coast, I realised one day that I had no good reason to be where I was. I had landed there by chance and other people's decisions, and it was not the right environment for me. I decided that I would flap my wings and find a place where I could really plant some roots. So where would I go?

I went to a place where I could enjoy the privilege of watching my beautiful Pies play live all the time. I drove to Melbourne with my worldly possessions in my hatchback, and an address I got off the interwebs which would, I hoped , be my new home. I didn't even have a job to go to. Though I was pretty much totally isolated and alone when I got here, I felt like I was a part of a huge, pulsating community - a family, really - every time I made myself a part of the crowd at a Collingwood game at the MCG - which was every single time it was possible. I went on my own (still do), and hardly spoke to anyone at all, but I felt such a reassuring sense of belonging - belonging to this huge, warm, passionate, drunken, irrational, beautiful thing.

Six years later and I'm happily shacked up with a Melbourne girl and just welcomed my third son into the world (and if that isn't some kind of record I'll be fairly disappointed). I'm as happy as a clam and I owe it all to Collingwood. Well, most of it - lots of it at the least.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm a St Kilda troll. Ssh, it's a secret!
TC15 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

when i was a kid going to School at Brighton Road back in 1971 i met Peter Makenna on a Tram, He gave up his seat for my Sister, Wow he was like a God, At that time i was playing u11s for St Kilda City , and not really following anyone in the VFL, But i have been a loyal Collingwood supporter ever since.
sweaty betty 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

It all started because of my father. As a young child in Bacchus Marsh, he would go with his siblings and neighbours to the train line in time for the train from Melbourne to Adelaide to be slowing down for Bacchus Marsh station. The kids would call to the passengers 'papers, papers' and some would throw the newspapers down to them, having already read them. Dad was about 4 or 5 and was born in 1926. He reckons he could read and loved reading those papers, which, I'm guessing, would have been full of news of a particularly strong and dominant footy team of that era. (think 1930-ish). Collingwood of course! He has followed them all his life (he's 86) as has mum(85) and their 7 children. Dad & mum go to every game in Melbourne and some interstaters as well. They have been members for nigh on 50 years. This is more about them than me, I just grew up with it. Cheers
Buckley Swan 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 am

I have a confession to make. I have always been Collingwood. But haven't always supported Collingwood.

I was born into a Collingwood family - my grandfather, who grew up in WA was a Pies man (much the same as kids in Asia follow Manchester United, I guess - you aren't from there but need to follow a team so you pick the most famous).
A Navy man, he later, by all accounts, played for Port Melbourne.
My father, also a Pies man, was also born in WA but eventually his family settled in Geelong, where he maintained his black and white heart.
He also served in the forces and returned to WA with the RAAF, trialling with Swan Districts - black & white. A team I also support.
Eventually, meeting my mother whilst travelling through SA we settled down in Adelaide in a place called Elizabeth.
I, by the way, was born in Williamstown, giving me a link to the Seagulls.
Growing up in Adelaide back then, you had two teams, your VFL team and your SANFL team.
My SANFL club is Central District. A great source of joy in the past decade. A source of none through my childhood.
So, there I am, growing up in the northern suburbs outpost, a much maligned and loathed, by some, part of the world.
I grew up a Collingwood supporter, until 1986 when the great John Platten left Central District to play for Hawthorn.
The Rat had also played all of his junior footy at my club Elizabeth, where I still play with his nephews and, this year, his son.
Naturally, Rat was my hero, so I transferred my allegiances to the Hawks.
Dad never said anything about that but it was clear he didn't share much of my joy when Hawthorn won flag after flag.
And here's where my heart always regrets my decision to change clubs.
In 1990, I had the chance to share the joy of a premiership with my father.
I knew how much joy he felt at that victory and I enjoyed seeing the people celebrate, as in my heart, I understood. However, I felt hollow (this is the first time I'ver shared these feelings, by the way).
By 1991, when I was 14, Port Adelaide had trashed SA footy by trying to join the VFL, resulting in the birth of a new football club - Adelaide.
Being a proud South Australian, I became a supporter of the Crows.
However, it wasn't long before I got fed up with what I now understand to be the sycophancy of the local media and supporters.
Adelaide were getting belted, week in, week out, but if you listened to everyone, "the boys still played well. It wasn't their fault. The Victorian conspiracy...etc, etc".
A decision was made, it was abrupt and decisive.
I returned to supporting Collingwood. I'd kept hearing how much this new breed of football supporter hated Collingwood. I had no understanding of why, and I'm sure most of these Adelaide supporters didn't either - just another tin foil hat conspiracy.
I returned to my heritage. Being young, I was able to do so without having felt dirty about my desertion.
From then on, there has been no question, not even when those dirty Adelaide Crows won the flags in 97/98.
I have grown to hate them, more than any ever football club you could name. The Adelaide media ensures you do that if you support a non SA club.
I'm now ensuring my daughters are also Collingwood supporters, too.
My eldest, four, asks me to sing the club song as she goes to bed sometimes, while my youngest will have NO choice but to be a Pies supporter.
See, my first daughter was born in 2008, a Central District premiership premiership year.
My second, was born the Monday after the tied grand final between Collingwood and St Kilda, she was 12 weeks early.
My wife had given birth to her while I was still trying to get to the hospital, in Adelaide, 300 kilometres from our then home in Loxton.
It was a traumatic time for us, this situation we'd been thrown into. My daughter weighed 681 grams. She was fighting for her life.
I wanted to name her Dane. My wife wouldn't agree to that, not that she knew who Dane was.
The following Saturday, Collingwood won its first premiership since 1990.
I watched that grand final on my wife's hospital bed and remember very little of it, we were both so tired.
I remember Didak's beautiful smother and recover, before kicking a goal.
So very Dids.
And I didn't even see the cup raised, by then we were on our way to the NICU ward to see my baby girl.
I have a photo of me by her crib wearing my Pies scarf.
The very next day, I was at Football Park to watch my beloved Central District win another premiership.
I would have thought that had my two most beloved clubs won premierships in the same year, let alone in consecutive days, I would have been pissed for a month.
I barely had a beer over those two days, life had provided some very important lessons in that week.
I have a copy of the 2010 premiership but I still haven't watched it.
I can't. My daughter is fine now, you'd never have known about her tough start to life but the emotions of that time are still raw - I'm holding a tear or two back as I write this.
Those moments of joy in that week gave me some respite from what was a traumatic time.
I have learnt that football is not quite life but it's still bloody important! And so is Collingwood.

www.wickettowicket.com.au - Grassroots cricket website, message me if you'd like to contribute.
tomoleary Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Both my father's family and mother's family had a strong Collingwood tradition. After doing some family tree research, my mum found we're related to R.T.(Robert Thomas) Rush. Funnily enough she also found we're distantly related to Geoffrey Rush.

Anyway, I'm 27 now (born in 85) and when I was a young boy the Hawks had a pretty good football side. I remember being 4 years old and taking a liking to Hawthorn, my cousin who was two years older than me egged me on somewhat. Anyway during the 1990 season, one of my uncles, Terry, told me that it would be a poor decision to become a Hawthorn supporter and even went as fart as saying that Collingwood would win the Premiership that year.

In the same year I attended my first ever game of footy: Collingwood vs Footscray at the MCG.

On Grand Final day my family gathered at my uncle Terry's place. I was only 5 at the time, but I remember there being heaps of people there. It was a great day and as I saw the elation on many of the members of my extended family's faces I could feel the Collingwood in my soul bubble to the surface. We drove home through Collingwood, I remember so many people were out on the streets, it was incredible.

In 1991 my uncle Terry took many to many games of footy. I remember my first ever Collingwood - St.Kilda game at Waverley Park, I sat only a few rows from the field and Daicos kicked about 5. I remember my own father taking me to my first ever Collingwood - Carlton match, it was at Waverley Park as well, it was really wet, the car park was really muddy and we got belted, and I knew from that day forth that Carlton were bastards.

My love for the Collingwood Football Club only continued to grow and strengthen as I grew. I remember when I was 7, I didn't want to be like every other kid at school who had 35 on their jumper, so I asked my mum to put a 26 on: Gavin Brown. I loved him! I loved Damien Monkhurst a lot too.

The 90's had some good moments, but it was mostly tough. Especially going to school with heaps of Carlton and Essendon supporters and supporters of other clubs such as the occassional North fan.

I have to say unlike most kids I wasn't completely one-eyed. I loved the sport so much and I loved players that played the game well. At one stage I remember having a Peter Matera poster on my wall. I remember thinking he was such an incredible player to watch. I did like that early 90's West Coast side, I barracked for them once Collingwood were out. In the late 90's I really loved watching North play. They were a great side to watch with guys like Glenn Archer, Corey Mackernan, Byron Pickett and Shannon Grant at the time.

In 2002 the tough times finally came to an end. But those times made me a better supporter and made the good times seem better.
ANZAC Day 2002: "what a day!" We went in with everyone giving us absolutely no chance, it was extremely wet and cold, but the boys came through and stunned the more fancied Bombers. I still view that day as a day that Collingwood begun a great era and Essendon ended a great era. It was truly a significant game of football. I still remember James Hird getting crunched early on and how hard Scotty Burns was that day.

About a month later we knocked off reigning Premiers Brisbane at Colonial Stadium and the Collingwood army suddenly had genuine belief. We were going amazingly well but then lost some momentum towards the end of the home and away season.

The 2002 Finals were another story all together. That Qualifying final was simply an amazing night. Like on ANZAC Day earlier in the year, we were massive underdogs and we went in to the game without our influential captain Nathan Buckley. But all the other boys stood up, particularly Paul Licuria and produced what was to that point the most amazing Collingwood victory I had ever witnessed. It was such a great night.

I then attended the Preliminary Final against Adelaide which was another great win. I particularly remember Anthony Rocca’s massive goal that he launched from the edge of the centre square which made the MCG erupt like a volcano.

After such a build up I was lucky enough to go to the 2002 AFL Grand Final. It was a devastating result, and a particularly devastating final quarter. I found out that day that losing a Grand Final is the most painful thing in footy. Finishing bottom as we did in 1999 sucks. But at least it’s a series of losses and you get let down slowly. Losing a Grand Final happens all at once, especially if it’s a close game. Bang! It just hits you and it hurts. I remember heaps of Collingwood supporters were really proud and told me there was nothing to be so depressed about. I was proud of the boys too but I was still devastated.

In 2003 I joined the cheer squad and became one of it’s most vocal members, they learnt pretty quickly that I’m a f….ing Loud C*nt! I went to every game in Melbourne in 2003 and made an interstate trip to Adelaide. It was a great season, but again it ended in a devastating fashion.

In 2004 I decided to quit the cheer squad and just be a social club member. Mainly because I was the lead singer in a rock band and found if I yelled all day at the footy my voice really struggled to get through a set with the band later that night or even the following night. I also believed that if I couldn’t give my all for the cheer squad that I shouldn’t be in it. In the following years I would become disgusted at seeing how many cheer squad members didn’t actually cheer.

I became a regular member of the grog squad, we always stood behind the cheer squad and a lot of the time made more noise.

I’ve continued to follow the pies ever since, and in 2010 actually got to see my club win a Premiership. It was a pretty amazing day.
I had already got myself a ticket to the Grand Final Replay but I was also able to win myself a ticket through the Adidas “Inspire The Pies” competition. This allowed me to be able to give my father the ticket I already had to the game. The most emotional moment of the day came when my dad thanked me afterwards. He told me how he’d been to the Grand Final in1964, 66, 70, 77, 77 (replay), 79, 80 and 81. He told me that he could die happily having finally seeing Collingwood win a Premiership.

…That’s when I broke into tears.

I love this club and I always will.

Good Old Collingwood… FOREVER.
tomoleary Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Noticed someone else posted a poem they'd written. So I thought I'd post this:

I wrote this during the off 2002/2003 season:

That time we came so close…
So close was so far away
I remember the tears rolling down your face…
Like it was only just yesterday

That time amounts to nothing…
But time spent in pain
There was nothing so close to everything…
But there’s nothing so far away

Next time they come we must be ready for everything
Whatever they throw at us, whatever they bring
Next time they come they will be blown away
They won't know what hit them when we come out to play

What we’d achieved in times before
Didn’t mean a thing when we hit the floor
We wanted to win, but didn't want it enough
They wanted it more, they were too damn tough

It’s a pain that cannot pass
A pain that makes no sweet taste last
A pain that only lingers on
A pain we’ll carry until we’re gone

...unfortunately the next time wasn't much better. But I thought some of you might appreciate some poetry/song writing that reflected my feelings from the time.[/b]
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 am

tomoleary wrote:
Noticed someone else posted a poem they'd written. So I thought I'd post this:

I wrote this during the off 2002/2003 season:

That time we came so close…
So close was so far away
I remember the tears rolling down your face…
Like it was only just yesterday

That time amounts to nothing…
But time spent in pain
There was nothing so close to everything…
But there’s nothing so far away

What we’d achieved in times before
Didn’t mean a thing when we hit the floor
We wanted to win, but didn't want it enough
They wanted it more, they were too damn tough

It’s a pain that cannot pass
A pain that makes no sweet taste last
A pain that only lingers on
A pain we’ll carry until we’re gone

...unfortunately the next time wasn't much better. But I thought some of you might appreciate some poetry/song writing that reflected my feelings from the time.[/b]

Excellent poem Tom. It's an excellent summary of our feelings after the 2002 Grand Final. However I felt 2003 hurt so much more than 2002 for some reason.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 am

Some amazing strories here and well worth the read. Thank you to everyone for taking the time.

I will just add that while it is vitally important to each of us where we have come from and how we got here today. It is also great to know that tomorrow will make us even more Collingwood.

Collingwood is something that grows inside us all every year.

Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 pm

My father was a Polish/Russian refugee who knew nothing about football. In his own way, he tried, though. When we were living at Wangaratta in the late 1950s, he took me to a game involving the Wangaratta Rovers and some other mob. The team was coached by a certain Bob Rose at the time, not that it meant anything to me.

We moved to Shepparton, and in 1964, my father abandoned us. That was a tough year. My mother went back to work and we older children helped with the younger, there being eight all told. That year I worked a morning paper round, delivering The Sun six mornings a week. We used to stand and roll the papers by hand, before heading out. That took a while, so we would read the front cover and the back cover, every day. You know what that means, the back cover of The Sun. Collingwood stories.

That year also, I changed schools and finished up sitting next to Kenny Ellis, the toughest kid in the class. He barracked for Collingwood. He enquired, politely, who I barracked for. There was a short silence, followed by a tiny moment of clarity, in which I suddenly knew I barracked for Collingwood, too.

A 4 point loss to Melbourne that year was my introduction to disappointment.

Then came 1966.

Then came 1970. I remember standing in the backyard, clutching Mum's transistor radio and being ecstatic at half time. In the break I spoke to Mrs Easton, who lived over the road, and experienced intense rudeness from the woman for the only time in all the years I knew her. I hadn't realised she was a Carlton supporter. That was the only time I cried after a game.

Then came 1977.

Then came 1979. I was there for that one.

Then came 1980.

Then came 1981.

Then came 1990. That was relief, pure relief, nothing more.

2010. Sweet.

Meeting Joffa in 2011 was a treat, but the season ending was a letdown.

Why am I Collingwood? Too hard to break the habit, I suppose.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17   

Jump to: