Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I hate the Olympics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Coulter puts it much better than me:

IF ANYONE was in any doubt that the Olympics Games have become a travesty of a noble ideal, just consider that Nick D'Arcy will be representing Australia in London next month.

D'Arcy is the embodiment of the modern sporting idiot, a creature so devoted to competition and victory that considerations of morality, fair play and honour are discarded. He has a history of violence that includes shattering a fellow competitor's face. When ordered to pay compensation to his victim, he declared bankruptcy. Last week, he posted photos of himself brandishing a pair of pistols on his Facebook page.

The latest incident, in isolation, is trifling. No laws were broken, no one was harmed. But the message that D'Arcy sent the world couldn't be clearer: he doesn't give a stuff what anyone thinks. .....

The question then becomes one of what sort of person we're comfortable with representing us on the international stage. Are we happy with muscled thugs who can deliver the prestige of a gold medal, no matter how they behave?

D'Arcy's supporters argue that he has already been punished for his attack on Simon Cowley by missing the 2008 Games in Beijing. That the principle of natural justice, where once a man has served his time he should not be denied future opportunities, should apply. Leaving aside the fact that D'Arcy has been unremorseful, it is a spurious argument. Certain crimes disqualify you from some professions - why should sport be exempt? Representing Australia at the Olympics ought to be a privilege, not a right.

(Abridged from http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/faster-higher-stupider-our-sporting-shame-20120609-202wt.html )

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Kylie was your highlight?? For real?

OMG

Your not a sporty person are you, just guessing

I confess I enjoy the European Handball.

Could give gymnastics, swimming and track & field a miss.

Lucky you have a remote control!

So you won't be watching Bolt run?

Watching the sheer perfection of the human body in motion. Gymnastic can get a bit repetitive, but wow, some of the things they can do.

The mateship of the games.

The only time I like watching flash backs of history.

The runner, winning, but stopping to help a fallen team mate. And goes on to win anyway.

The world champion, who broke and was eliminated from the final. I still cry at her pain now.

The black athletes with their fists held high on the podium. I don't care that it was political, it was a great moment.

The american dream team. WOW. How good was that!

The aboriginal winning the 200 metre gold medal after so much expectation was on her shoulders. ( someone thought Kylie was better than that moment?)

Ali lighting the flame, his body riddled with alziemers. OMG the tears when he came out. I will never forget that moment.

The swimmer, who came back from defeat, swimming from the outside lane, and once again, against all the odds, was king of the pool. Racing up to hug his wife in the crowd. How good was that 14 minutes? Who thought he could do it?

A big portion of the world coming together, the colour of the opening ceremony. The tiny contingents from small countries, there is no other event like it.

The best in action, simply the best.

I'm with you TP. Remember the great parts and enjoy them

There are far too many individuals with extreme viewpoints on this BB. Some have been twisted with time and do not want to see the positive sides of life. Others are young with little life experience and alow any negative influence to override that part of life that can and should be celebrated.

Keep on loving and enjoying TP. It is a much better place to exist in.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 pm

I hate the Olympics too. All that fake patriotism makes me sick.
#SIDEBYSIDE
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Tannin wrote:
The latest incident, in isolation, is trifling. No laws were broken, no one was harmed. But the message that D'Arcy sent the world couldn't be clearer: he doesn't give a stuff what anyone thinks. .....

The message D'Arcy sent was that he'd visited a gun shop/rifle range in America and that he thought it was cool. I hate guns too, but that doesn't mean that I can't understand people getting a thrill out of coming into contact with them, particularly when guns are so obscenely fetishised in films and film advertising. It's a huge part of American (and therefore Australian) popular culture, and these fellows were merely engaging with that in an extraordinarily mild manner.

[I hope you weren't one of those people who bought into the manufactured 'outrage' when Joffa had a similar photo of himself posted on Nick's a few years back!]

You and Coulter seem to be missing the point here. Physical assault should never be condoned, and even I think it's grounds to be kicked out of a football club or removed from the Olympics team. But this guy has already been punished for this; and, besides, the committee have made it clear that this is all about the photo.

It's pure fantasy on the part of you and Coulter to assert that this photo has anything to do with their 'remorse' or otherwise for their earlier actions. Do we see a caption stating "haha, f*** you Australian swimming team" underneath? If you think that this is implied by the pic, you can't see the forest for the trees.

Beyond the points I mentioned in the OP, it's astounding hypocrisy by the committee on all levels: they're still allowing the swimmers to compete and win medals for Australia, they just don't want them in the village after they've finished competing. What sort of message does that send? And what an absurd notion to begin with that Olympians are supposed to be the greatest sportspeople on Earth and paragons of moral virtue. That's just marketing codswallop.

There's no way of defending this, no matter what justifications sanctimonious sports writers try to come up with. It's just another sad reflection of our PR-obsessed, overreactive times.

Last edited by David on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

OMG

I confess I enjoy the European Handball.

Could give gymnastics, swimming and track & field a miss.

Lucky you have a remote control!

So you won't be watching Bolt run?

Watching the sheer perfection of the human body in motion. Gymnastic can get a bit repetitive, but wow, some of the things they can do.

The mateship of the games.

The only time I like watching flash backs of history.

The runner, winning, but stopping to help a fallen team mate. And goes on to win anyway.

The world champion, who broke and was eliminated from the final. I still cry at her pain now.

The black athletes with their fists held high on the podium. I don't care that it was political, it was a great moment.

The american dream team. WOW. How good was that!

The aboriginal winning the 200 metre gold medal after so much expectation was on her shoulders. ( someone thought Kylie was better than that moment?)

Ali lighting the flame, his body riddled with alziemers. OMG the tears when he came out. I will never forget that moment.

The swimmer, who came back from defeat, swimming from the outside lane, and once again, against all the odds, was king of the pool. Racing up to hug his wife in the crowd. How good was that 14 minutes? Who thought he could do it?

A big portion of the world coming together, the colour of the opening ceremony. The tiny contingents from small countries, there is no other event like it.

The best in action, simply the best.

I'm with you TP. Remember the great parts and enjoy them

There are far too many individuals with extreme viewpoints on this BB. Some have been twisted with time and do not want to see the positive sides of life. Others are young with little life experience and alow any negative influence to override that part of life that can and should be celebrated.

Keep on loving and enjoying TP. It is a much better place to exist in.

Wink Ain't that the truth.

Shame not everybody can just accept something for the sheer joy of it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 pm

mandy wrote:
I hate the Olympics too. All that fake patriotism makes me sick.

I support every athlete that turns up, yeah it's great to see your home countrys colours on the podium, but it's about far more than a medal tally for me.

I just like to watch the best, people trying their best, giving all they got. Some really amazing human moments.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Miranda Dev... er, I mean, Michael Coulter wrote:
The Olympic Games were created as a celebration of all that was best about sport, and people. They were never meant to be part of the entertainment industry, which is really what professional sport is, and it is sad that they have become so. The father of the modern Games, Pierre de Coubertin, saw them as a tool for promoting international peace, in the tradition of the truce that accompanied the ancient Olympics. In this model, victory, while obviously desirable, was secondary to honourable competition. Coubertin expressed it beautifully in the words: ''The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.''
If it seems naive to still be quoting Coubertin all these years later, consider that the first item in today's Olympic charter reads ''Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.''

Coulter, like so many today, has confused and conflated the notion of fair and honourable sporting endeavour with external public reputation. The two are quite distinct.

Let me make this simple: I heartily support the supposed (as Michael states, long-ago dispensed with) premise of the Olympics. I believe that all sport should be conducted fairly, healthily, and with an emphasis placed on sportsmanship and endeavour as opposed to winning. I would like to see that applied to all sport, particularly the AFL. These are ideals that sporting codes should enable and perpetuate.

What I heartily despise is the notion that sportspeople ought to be held to a higher degree of moral accountability outside the field of play; that sporting administrations should have the ability to punish sportspeople for off-field misdemeanours; that the personal lives of sportspeople should be disseminated in the tabloids for our moral judgement.

Ironically, our society has managed to get both wrong. On the one hand, professional sports have become huge commercial operations devoted to winning at all costs and financial revenue. Players, coaches and officials are overpaid and rarely, if, ever, exhibit a concern for honour and fair play on the sporting field. Meanwhile, athletes are forced to present a veneer of righteousness and keep their noses clean in their everyday lives, lest the sensationalist media pounce upon it and cost clubs and organisations valuable PR (read: money).

So yeah, Michael: give me a sporting field of criminals, adulterers and tax collectors any day, so long as their on-field skill and competitiveness on the field is matched by their valour and love for the game. Their contract with me as a sports viewer will be their upholding of the standards of their sport; let the law deal with them as it may. Otherwise, I'll leave the judgement of their personal failings to the sanctimonious and self-righteous among us who are sufficiently holy to exalt and condemn.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:11 pm

So you support taxpayers money being spent on these scumbaghs?

Simple question, yes or no answer please.

Note carefully that this arsehole has not, repeat NOT "already been punished". He has FAILED to pay the compensation he was required to pay when he was found GUILTY of a viscious assault, and he has FAILED to show remorse, and - as this latest scandal demonstrates - he has FAILED to reform or become a decent citizen, let alone someone that should be having vast amounts of public money wasted on him.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Tannin wrote:
So you support taxpayers money being spent on these scumbaghs?

Simple question, yes or no answer please.

Yes! Well, at least as much as I support huge amounts of taxpayer money being spent on anybody in relation to these overblown events.

These guys have been selected for the Olympics because, I presume, they are two of the best swimmers in the country. I don't personally care whether or not they are scumbags; just as I don't care whether Kieran Perkins or Ian Thorpe were Good Blokes™ or stuck-up tools. I presume that any criminal and/or unethical activity that they have committed will have been dealt with by the law — if that is not the case, then that is the law's failing.

Regardless, I think being kicked out of the last Olympic Games is already a pretty significant penalty for D'Arcy's actions (besides the law's response). You can make a case that the ban should have been permanent, and you might be right; but that is not the issue being discussed here. The committee already made their decision last time.

Tannin wrote:
Note carefully that this arsehole has not, repeat NOT "already been punished". He has FAILED to pay the compensation he was required to pay when he was found GUILTY of a viscious assault, and he has FAILED to show remorse, and - as this latest scandal demonstrates - he has FAILED to reform or become a decent citizen, let alone someone that should be having vast amounts of public money wasted on him.

So, let me get this straight — you think any or all of a) visiting a rifle range or gun shop during an American visit; b) posing with guns for a picture or c) posting that picture to your personal Facebook account signifies failure as a decent citizen or person? Either you demand extraordinarily high standards of behaviour from your fellow man, or you think proven dickheads and convicted criminals must never do anything for the rest of their lives that might offend someone, or I'm just missing some crucial point here. You might have to help me out with this one.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:41 pm

think positive wrote:

OMG

Considering I am on a football related forum, I'd say that you didn't need to ask that question. I love football. That's my sport. Just because I have little or no interest in other sports, does not mean that I am not a sporty person. I will watch cricket, rugby, and a few others, but the majority of the olympic sports are ones that people don't give a shit about for 4 years and then all of a sudden are an expert.

think positive wrote:
( someone thought Kylie was better than that moment?)

I never criticise anyone on here for having an opinion. All I made was a statement relating to me. If you want to watch it, that's great. I'm all for people doing what they want to do. The difference is that I would never sit here and say "Someone thought the 400m relay was better than Kylie", just to be a smart ass.

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I used to love that old arcade game "Hyperolympics" wonder if there are any still around?

The actual Olympics are great!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Just to help out the slow of understanding, they showed contempt for normal, decent standards, and they glorified illegal weapons, the whole point of their antics and posting was to demonstrate their identification with weapons and violence (look at the glee on their faces!) and their contempt for the ordinary, decent Australians who are paying for their Olympic junket.

Now I believe in freedom of speech and association and belief. Scumbags are entitles to behave like scumbags and think liker scumbags. But not on my dollar!

Let's not forget, one of them HAS STILL NOT PAID any compensation for his brutal assault on another Australian athelete.

Why should any Australian athlete be forced to share team facilities with meataxe scumbags like these two, knowing full well that one of them has beaten another athlete up and GOT OFF SCOTT-FREE, and seems perfectly free to do it again?

Throw the barstards off the team and let's get on with competition.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Do scum-bags pay Tax?

I alwaes have and if i'm good enough to compete in the 1000 ml skull,
i should be allowed too.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Ask it does. Interesting question.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 pm

what's in its pocketses?

Red no blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMxWLuOFyZM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25   

Jump to: