Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The screen.....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:00 am
Post subject: The screen.....Reply with quote

From the Australian...
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,6296428%255E2722,00.html

'Lethal' calls to outlaw Rocca screen
By Chip Le Grand and Scott Coghlan, AFL
April 17, 2003
BRISBANE coach Leigh Matthews has blown the whistle on Collingwood's use of illegal blocking tactics in the forward line, adding further spice to tonight's rematch between last year's grand finalists.
Asked what he could do to counter the goal-square tactic, one in which Anthony Rocca blocks the path of team-mate Chris Tarrant's opponent just as Tarrant is setting off on a lead, Matthews' response was pointed.
"Apart from being aware of it, there is nothing we can do to counter it," Matthews said.
"It is like a lot of things that happen out on the field. There are three umpires but 36 guys and a massive field so the umpires can only see a certain amount.
"It is like holding around the stoppages. It gets frustrating for players being tagged and held, but there are so many bodies around there it is hard to blame the umpires. Blocking in the forward line is a bit the same."
Collingwood have used the tactic to great effect in the past two seasons, with Rocca the best exponent and Tarrant a regular beneficiary.
Concerns about Brisbane's forward set-up were allayed when Jonathan Brown, absent from last Saturday night's draw against the Kangaroos with a hip injury, moved through yesterday's training session without restriction.
Brown and Alastair Lynch, who missed the Kangaroos game as part of his management for chronic fatigue syndrome, were named in Brisbane's starting 18 last night."
High-profile recruit Blake Caracella was the notable omission.
Collingwood welcomed back key defender Simon Prestigiacomo.
In the midfield, a "ring-around-a-rosie" scenario is likely to unfold at the start of the game, with Collingwood skipper Nathan Buckley determined to play on Brisbane captain Michael Voss and Brisbane's Brad Scott equally determined to play on Buckley.
Scott, who will play his 50th straight game for the Lions tonight and his 100th in total, revealed he had set himself to play on Buckley in last year's grand final but eventually gave up when Buckley refused to leave Voss.
"It ends up being a battle of wills I suppose," Scott said. "I'd like Buckley. While he is an exceptional player and athlete, I feel I can match up on him in certain parts."
Scott dismissed the notion that Buckley's stint on the bench during the Magpies' rampant final quarter against Geelong last week was a sign his influence had declined.
"I read into it that Collingwood are now a stronger midfield unit and don't completely rely on Nathan Buckley," he said.
"Having said that, there is no question he is still under-rated by some people."
Amid the build-up to the match, a simmering debate has continued over the Collingwood-led opposition to salary cap concessions granted to Brisbane and Sydney.
AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson entered the fray yesterday from Perth, describing as a nonsense the notions that all Victorian clubs were aligned against the allowance and that it had been misused to buy Brisbane a premiership side.
"Four years ago, pre-Leigh Mat thews, Brisbane was a basket case, yet it had had allowances since 1994," Jackson said.
"No-one cared one iota about it until through excellent recruiting over a 10-year period, excellent coaching and management skills they won two premierships."
Collingwood eventually took to the Gabba under lights last night after their flight from Melbourne was delayed by 1½ hours. When told of the delay, Matthews welcomed the news.
"I'm happy with that," he said. "We all know home state advantage doesn't guarantee you a win, but you also know you have a lot of factors in your favour."

Chip le Grand at it again..... Rolling Eyes

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing in here Clemo?

Did you get lost?
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - ya dead right. I got lost all right. Not sure what I was on to post this artice in here. Don't really go much into the Tavern and haven't been in for a while, so when I did and saw my post. Well... I was a bit puzzled. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: