Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leon Davis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Understudy may be a verb, but the context in which it is described is clearly a noun, perhaps the Macquarie Essential Dictionary needs to be taught a lesson, as Cam quoted it from there.

BJ

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:35 am

er and just for the record, from the same said source.

cam noun a device for converting regular rotary or straight line motion into irregular rotary or reciprocating motion, etc., commonly consisting of an oval-, needle-, or heart-shaped, or other specially shaped flat piece, an eccentric wheel or the like, fastened on and revolving with a shaft, and engaging with another mechanism.

of course we all knew that anyway didn't we Smile
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:10 am

cam: also known as a bumpstick Smile)
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:43 am

"Yesterday was not a day for small forwards. "

excellent point culprit.
If the key forwards are getting the goals you can't expect Leon to get em - you can't kick more than one per forward thrust. Mind yo I ddint' see the game so Im just speculating based on stats.
i suspect that as much as anytyhing Leon still needs to get physically stronger (esp re comparison with Pickett) in which case he might become star material.
understudy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:00 pm

bump bump Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Nicholas 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:48 pm

No I agree with Understudy he needs to do more and in big matches. Culprit was very strong on the other hated Davis not doing enough and being soft. Leon is worse in both these areas if your being honest.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:59 am

Big matches? I've heard nobody say too much other than against brisbane. Would anyone like to complain about his match against port adelaide last year? The fact is Leon is still young, and yes he's still learning. His body has bulked up a lot since last year and only time will see it bulk up further. I just love how we are so quick to jump on someones back rather than take a step back to see if there's a reason for it.

Brisbane are a physical team, probably more so than any other in the league. So he struggles with one team. geez, I know i'm glad he's in the team.. who here wouldn't pick him? he's played a big role in some of our other big games, but obviously its only brisbane that matters to some!

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Mr Pieman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:44 pm

I currently rate Leon as a "fringe" player. He should have stepped up by now but hasn't. He's certainly got the talent, but he has always lacked consistency. He certainly does some very goods things when he gets into the game, but he's more often out of it, than in it.

In my opinion he'll be lucky to be at Collingwood next year unless he steps up NOW.

Come on Leon. We know you have the talent. Show us your worth.

chalky 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:33 pm

It's horses for courses as far as Leon vs the Bears is concerned. Myself and others have already posted on other threads about the physical nature of the bears' backline and Leons' inability to have a major impact. Mind you this only seems to be a problem against this one particular side. IMO when we meet again MM should alter Leons' role, show them something different. Give Leon more space to move - a wing perhaps. Start him on HB then give him a licence to roam free, anything new!
If MM can devise a game plan that is inclusive of Leon ,other than his usual FP role then next time Matthews will be forced to make moves he will not be comfortable with eg Brennan(their most effective forward IMO) forced to go on Tarrant. If all other factors are equal then Leon gives us the edge we need. Bris will not rate him in their planning, why should they, he's failed to contribute on both occasions. Get him into the game somehow and then he becomes the X-factor.
I'm only trying to figure out Leon vs Bris only. I've got no prob with his work ethic etc nor with his importance to the side. He is an inspirational player both in team play (shepherds, taps, tackles) and individual flair. This gives him the nod above others that may be eyeing his spot eg Dutchy, Cole etc. just some thoughts guys. cheers
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:48 pm

I think hes always only going to be an impact player. He oozes potential and when hes on fire hes red hot but he has been struggling of late IMO. Maybe he just needs som,e time to work himself into the season.

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Mr Pieman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:27 am

Leon is the weakest link...goodbye (to Willi that is)
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:35 am

leon will turn it around, just like taz, ant etc who over the years have been subjected to this sort of comment. Leon is class personified...just not consistent. It will come. We are harsh judges of 20 year olds. If he was 29 years old, i'd agree with you all.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:51 pm

Well said Understudy.

It is merely your opinion and quite frankly you are saying what many, many people are thinking about Leon.

However, some good counter points too.

I think we all agree that there is a focus on Leon as time passes and Collingwood do not have infinite amounts time to spend on him.

The next six weeks will be a huge test for him.

i_coulda_been_a_champ 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:03 pm

hi to everyone. im a new poster . 1st time . i have to admit that i both love watchin the leon davis's of this world and am frustrated by them at the same time. cant get into the game seems a big problem. heres an idea which i would like peoples opinion on . why not try him as a backman. can run bloody fast and has excellent disposal skills . can leap for his size and also hold marks which none of our small backmen (except burns when he plays there) seem to do . has better disposal than b. johnson(another i love and hate equally) . other teams have used exceptionally talented players there in the past to great effect(wanganeen and wirrapunda 2 nemae 2 - and that is not an aboriginal thing just that they come 2 mind quickly)
what do u think
understudy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:54 pm

cough cough cough cough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: