Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WAVERLEY SAVED!!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peps_12 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 6:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who live in the south eastern suburbs, Waverley was our ground. Until they stopped playing blockbusters there, such as Collingwood-Carlton, crowds were not a problem. AFL has probably planning the sell off since they sent the Hawks and Saints there in the first place.
Waverley was doomed the moment that Collingwood decided not to move there. At the time I wasn't too disappointed, being a big Vic Park supporter, but in hindsight - what a wonderful thing, hindsight - it would have been the best thing that could have happened for football in my area - and I would have been able to go to many more games.
Speak to any football follower in the area, from Waverley out as far as Sale, and they will tell you how bad a decision this whole thing was for us. CQ, obviously you dont live anywhere near the south east - probably from the Western Suburbs that is pampered compared to us. We are paying for the Western Link - god knows we didnt need Southern link. We are paying for Colonial, which is a hell of a lot easier to get to for you guys than us.
As far as I'm concerned they can jam Colonial Stadium right up their arse, I will never attend a game there. Thank god the 'Pies didnt take up the offer to go to that hellhole.

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 1:30 pm

Hey peps I agree with ya. Everyone who lives in the sth Eastern subs, that I have spoken to was totally destrote that Waverley was not going host any more AFL games from the year 2000 and beyond. I lost count of how many patitations that was going around at my high school and around the neighbourhoods.

What the Dickhead Jackon forgot was that the South Erasteren Subs are the fastest growing area in Melbounre and Victoria.

My parents came out to the Waverley area when Wav Park was just getting built from Carnigy (sorry I have no idea how u spell it). They thought they will bring up their family (4 kids, 3 which are mad pie fans and one mad hawks fan) where the future of footy will be.

NICKY DAVIS KICKS ASS!!!!!!

WAVERLEY PARK KICKS ASS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:03 pm

Actually, Waverley was originally designed for a capacity of 166,000. Can you imagine that? And with no M.C.C. members to worry about it would have been the perfect place to play the Grand Final. No problems getting tickets to a stadium that size. Or at least you wouldn't think so.

So what went wrong?

Well, you can blame successive State governments, both Liberal and Labor. What was desperately needed out there was a train-line. And it was originally intended that there would be train-line taking in Monash University as well as V.F.L. Park. But it never happened. And the ground was always plagued with traffic problems whenever there was a big match played there.

The public transport was hopeless. You had to get connecting buses from Clayton or Glen Waverley. It wasn't too bad getting there if you left early enough. But trying to get a bus after the game was a bloody nightmare. People would panic and there'd be this mad crush. I used to hate going to Waverley for that reason.

It's a pity, really. Because the actual stadium itself was excellent. And when you got crowds over 50,000 the atmosphere was great.

But really. Without a train-line, Waverley was a dud. A football stadium MUST have proper public transport access.

------------------
**floreat pica**

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:25 pm

peps_12:
yeah you are right i DONT live near waverley and im glad of that because now that waverley is gone you live ages away from AFL footy. and no i dont live in the western suburbs i live in the northern suburbs and from where i live waverley was a bastard to get to and from. f*ck if my dad wasnt prepared to drive me miles to get there i wouldnt be able to go because of the simple fact that there is no train line. oh and i live near broadmeadows, and if you call that pampared then think again it is a f*ckin shithole (well where i live is better than broady but its near enough).
Dont make me out to be some big posh rich tosser because i am not, do you really think the footy is easier for me to get to than you??? ummmm on sunday we have 2 trains, one at 9am and on at 3.30pm, thats it, i bet you have more, or a bus which we dont even have so dont start on me about it being easy for me to get there cos it isnt.
peps_12 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:35 pm

CQ, that is exactly my point. The entire south eastern suburbs is too far away from footy now. The reason I pointed out you couldn't live out here is 'cos you obviously don't know who cares about VFL Park. The AFL can get ****ed. We've been screwed over. And why would you think I was making you out to be a rich prick? Who in the western suburbs has money? Thats why we have to subsidise the west for them to get a direct road link to the city, and a ground on the nth-west side of Melbourne.
Whoever mentioned the rail link is dead right. But that didnt matter to the people out here who need the ground. It was close enough to the Dandenong area for a bus, or to be dropped off by parents for kids, or to drive because the parking area was huge.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:47 pm

well of course you've been screwed over. EVERYONE has been screwed over, it was pure stupidity to close it, the money they used on coloniHOLE could have paid for a train line out there then we all would have been happy. then some dickheads made it 'heritage' it is 30 years old! this has just made a mockery of the word 'heritage'.
You said that the western suburbs are pampered compared to yous, i wouldnt know who in the western suburbs has money cos i dont live there, or know anything about them.
and about the car park, they could have built their own rail system from the car to the ground it was that big.
oh yeah and the AFL could go and get f*cked WAY before waverley was closed, it has been f*cked up for about 9 years now.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 6:01 am

Really, I don't think it would take alot to get Waverly up and running again! They can't just let it sit there dormant, there would be 80 mil down the drain. The state government should throw in money to get it up and running again, like food stands, corporate areas. Wishful thinking I suppose. And would you people stop whinging about travelling to the footy. I have to travel almost 100km (every week I go) to the football. Sometimes I can catch the Collingwood Supporters bus right to the G or Colonial but sometimes I have to catch the bus to Frankston then the train to Richmond. Then you think about the other Collingwood diehards who travel even further distances. You have got to be joking about travel.
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 6:33 am

well that is the whole problem the bastards never put proper train lines in running to Waverley. C^nts! That is what killed Waverley. If u think about it though Colonial isnt that easy to get to either coz theres is always some pricky hold up at Flinders and buy the time u sit there delayed for an hour u could have walked to Waverley from the station!

Can our game possibly get worse for us next year? Shonky stadiums, overpriced everything, unbalanced competition (eg/Ess,St.Kilda) ticket and queing fiascos, transport problems, supporters being constantly ripped off--->ah well we still love it!

#8 RoCkS
Go RiCkY!

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:11 am

Same here Magpiera but in my case the MCG.
rhain 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:11 am

Yeh guys it is saved but the chances of another AFL game being played there are very slim. if the Grand Final was a draw the following week it might have been played at waverley due to funny circumstances.
GO PIES!!!!!!!!

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 9:28 am

yeah well anyway i noticed everyone saying dont start talking about how far it is then adding their own little story in about how far THEY have to travel.....
there is no way known the GF would be played at coloniHOLE someone would get out a shotty and shoot wayne jackson b4 they play a GF there. as if!! say they get $1 per person to go to the GF they would get $98,000 from the mcg or $50,000 from the HOLE, i think they will keep it at the G, even if it is only for the fact that they get more money.
nikki 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 10:37 am

I agree with Broadie 100%, this isnt a good decision if it means clubs are going to have to pay and it is going to cost us more to... Tickets r going to go up by about $2...
I know everyone hates the AFL but if this decision is going to hurt Collingwood is that a good thing.. I seriously doubt it.
Anyway what is the use having football oval that isnt even use i mean is it really necessary. I think it is the worst decison ever.. Well maybe not ever but it is pretty bad....

------------------
GO THE MIGHTY PIES
SAV & ANTHONY LEGENDS FOREVER!!!
GO ROGAN, JOSH YOUR MY HERO..

MAGPIE MANIAC 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:57 pm

I live in the Western Suburbs and and even though it used to take me well over an hour to get to Waverley I used to enjoy the footy and used to make a real day of it- such was the relaxing atmosphere of it. When it was built it was in the days of the VFL and I thought that if it was sold - why should the Interstate teams cash in on it! Could you imagine Adelaide selling Footy Park and sharing the money with every other team? Why were Clubs relying on getting their share of the money when no decision had been made on Waverley? They only had Wayne Jackson's word on it. The Clubs should be getting stuck into the AFL for promising money they didn't have -they counted their chickens before they were hatched!!! Another Stuff-up by the Afl ! and I agree Magpiera - the prices would have gone up anyway!
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:05 pm

On reflection, I suppose the death knell for Waverley was 15-20 odd years ago, when the govt (Cain's lot, I think) made some deal with the AFL/VFL about keeping the grand final at the MCG. Waverley was built to host the grand final originally, so the 25,000 MCC members wouldn't take up seats that should be for the football followers. After that, the AFL/VFL didn't spend any wonga on the facilities I reckon, sort of letting the stadium wither on the vine, especially after the mooting of Colonial. Being a Mully boy of years gone by, it was handy to be able to walk to the ground, but I sure did pity those poor bastards queueing for buses and stuck in the traffic jams for ever. Alf's point about lack of trains is well made. It was essentially the killer of the stadium.
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 2:23 am

London Dave is a Mully boy?

Does that mean Mulgrave ... or Mullumbimby?

There goes that international cosmopolitan persona right out the window. How thoroughly disillusioned I am.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: