Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Williams - Out of there!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millane42 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 6:56 am
Post subject: Williams - Out of there!Reply with quote

I have read some predictions of who will be de-listed and traded, but everyone seems to have omitted Paul Williams from their discussions. For me, Williams is the most over-rated performer at collingwood. Time after time he disappoints. When a game is to be one in tough circumstances you will never see Williams at the bottom of a pack or kicking the winning goal. Sure he is fast, can tackle, kicks great goals on the run - but he has never stepped up to be a team leader or been a consistent performer. I would use him as trade bait to secure some decent defenders which we have been lacking since Pert retired.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 11:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get offered a great deal, shift him or anyone else.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:56 am

What would you classify as a "great" deal?
*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 10:37 am

PieGirl#41's right, willo is a total gun, what would be the point in getting rid of one of our better experienced players, isn't that what we need?we should keep willo, hes a star!!
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 11:03 am

Joel,
A great deal,
well, hypothetically of course, it could be...

A swap of McKee for Gehrig????

Williams for Kouta????

You tell me.

Its up to MM and co to decide what looks like a great/good deal for us. It's their job.

My point being that no one should be 'untradeable'.
It does not necessarily follow that I think we should get rid of Williams, or anyone else. It's a business. One should keep all options open.
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 11:14 am

McKee for Gehrig!!!

Yesssssssssssssssss!

You've got excellent business sense, London Dave.

Basically, my definition of a good deal is one in which the person you are dealing with is drunk. A bit like we must have been when we offloaded Clinton King last year.

I would only trade Williams if we got an absolute champion in return ... preferably with two legs. But whoever we're making the deal with would need to be legless.

------------------
**floreat pica**

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:42 am

Well if all of yous are happy about finishing down the bottom every year well you can stick your football...
When are yous all going to wake up

Every one says willo is a champion

well ok how many games did willo star in this year
and why should collingwood not trade him can someone please talk football sense,

Does anyone know why we are finishing near the bottom every year

Ok i will tell you its because we have one of the worst teams as in players in the competition
and in our history

Now im not blaming williams for all of our troubles but he certainly has done sweet bugger all,

I say trade him cause we couldnt do any worse
williams has had his chances.

tell your self this before you get on here and bag the shit out of me on form would willo have got a spot in our 1990 grand final side
answer- NO

if any one says that willo deserves to represent collingwood again next year you are talking shit.

where was he when we were in tears at most of the games this year when we were getting flogged

Stop talking shit and lets get this club where it belongs up on top and into the finals
cause believe it or not thats the sole purpose of being in the competition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nikki 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 9:03 am

I understand what your sying Joffa,, Willow ids a star of collingwood but if he is not performing then maybe he should be traded... The last couple of games he started to get some form back...
But what are we trying to do here, build a football team that is going to win games,, just like joffa said...
This is why we have to trade a few of our favourites as long as we get some players that are going to be productive then maybe its the right thing to do...
Sad but true.......
Look how hard it was for some of us when sav was traded but hopefully it was the right thing to do for both him and the Collingwood... we are trying to build a productive footbalkl club that wins games......

------------------
GO THE MIGHTY PIES
SAV & ANTHONY LEGENDS FOREVER!!!
GO ROGAN, JOSH YOUR MY HERO..

Millane42 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 5:54 pm

Thanks Joffa for backing me up on this one.
Willo has not done enough on the field for collingwood. Sure he looks like a footballer but doesn't play like one most of the time. Trade the useless swill.

He definitely would not get a run in the 1990 premiership team. I have to disagree on that one - firstly Gayfer was a fullback, willo can't play there - he is too short! Starcevich played centre half forward, willo is again too short and turner wasn't as bad as people make out, sure he looked unco, but at least he was more consistent than willo will ever be.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 6:10 pm

HOW DARE YOU COME ON HERE AND TRY TO REDICULE THE PLAYERS OF OUR GREATEST EVER SIDE IN 4 DECADES

OUR MARVELLOUS 1990 PREMIERSHIP PLAYERS

IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO .....

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 1:20 am

Good call Joffa and Millane42.
Williams is definately trade material. I think I made the point in a previous post that it makes no sense to keep guys at pieland simply for the reason they 'might' be champions if they go somewhere else. If they are inconsistent at pieland, get rid of them for someone who will perform week in and week out.

Which bring me to one of my pet hates. The greatest problem the pies have is supporters giving average players the champion tag, and letting them know how 'great' they are, even though they are not. I may live a long way away from Vic Park at present, but I've seen a lot of football over the years, and the one thing that pissed me off most was all these supporters telling these blokes how great they are, giving them big egos. If you step back and take a slightly detached view of this (try it one day), you'll see what I mean.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:05 am

Alf, I always thought that the "Clinton King" deal was done as a parting gift to Danny Frawley, but I have changed my mind, I reckon you are right.

Obviously Danny F. came across "boys" (match committee? or whoever makes these decisions) in a bar, during the off season, after they had the proverbial two hour Friday lunch. The last thing they probably remembering is singing the "Bobby McGee" song and when they woke up the next morning they discovered they had traded for McKee! Just a thoery.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 10:47 am

willo isnt that good at set shots anyway.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 10:52 am

yeah an another one of those fantastic deals was pissing off schauble for the retired mark kinnear, well he could have told us this BEFORE we got him.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 2:46 pm

PieGirl, we cannot keep players simply because they will become stars elsewhere. Shift them and get someone who will produce consistently. I'm not suggesting getting rid of willo, but if the deal is right for us, do it. If willo (or whoever) stars at their next club, good luck to them. If the guy we get does a better job at pieland, I'd say its a good deal for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: