Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do you get prizes for finishing second?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you people have really got problems.
What happens after we win a Premiership?
Nothing but a Flag every single year afterwards will satisfy you.

I'm with you Alf.

Enjoy what you can, after all it's so much better than the Wooden Spoon.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:24 pm

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:
If by some strange turn of events, our team finds itself 5 or 6 goals down in the Grand Final with only a couple of minutes to go, what would you suggest they do?

Commit suicide?

Should we supporters do the same?

Well I certainly wouldn't want them so "oh, well, we got close again, time to stop and smell the roses while the last few minutes are played out around us".

I wouldn't expect supporters to commit suiceide either Alf and it is silly of you to even suggest it. You know damn well I wouldn't suggest that.

I would suggest that until the final siren goes on the 2003 season the players are single minded in their objective to win the premiership. If at a point in time it transpires that the task becomes impossible the so be it. We have to find out where fell short and work even harder in every single aspect next season.
old55 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:36 pm
Post subject: rationalisationReply with quote

alf,

that is a rationalisation to fit the facts (which is your complete right to make).

the joy from winning a single GF is worth 1000x the joy of winning a H&A match.

i would rather my team finished last 10 years in a row and then won 1 flag rather than finished 2nd with 16 wins each year for 11 years.

it is undeniable that essendon, carlton and hawthorn have all provided better value over the last 40 years than collingwood.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:18 pm

old55 wrote:
... the joy from winning a single GF is worth 1000x the joy of winning a H&A match.

i would rather my team finished last 10 years in a row and then won 1 flag rather than finished 2nd with 16 wins each year for 11 years.

it is undeniable that essendon, carlton and hawthorn have all provided better value over the last 40 years than collingwood.

Point 1:
A thousand times, huh? Gee, that's putting a lot of weight on ONE match. I know from my own experience that winning a home and away game gets me pretty excited. I really don't think it would be possible for me to get 1000 times more excited than that. I think even being 10 times more excited would probably give me a heart attack. If what you're saying is true, I'd better hope we NEVER win a premiership. It would KILL me for sure.

Point 2:
Well ... I would rather come 2nd 11 years in a row than get one premiership and 10 wooden spoons over the same period. But that's just me, I guess. And that's what makes us quite different, I suppose.

Point 3:
There's nothing "undeniable" about your point at all. "Value" is very much in the eye of the beholder. If I could live my life over again, knowing what I know now, there is no way I would choose to follow Hawthorn rather than Collingwood, just because I knew they'd win a heap of premierships.

In fact, Hawthorn are the classic example of the fact that premierships AREN'T everything. If winning the premiership was the be-all-and-end-all of football, Hawthorn would have 100,000 members by now ... and they wouldn't have to sign up their dogs and pet budgies to get the numbers up either. Collingwood ... at its worst ... absolutely kills Hawthorn as a Club. I don't care HOW MANY premierships Hawthorn have won ... In fact, Hawthorn doesn't win premierships ... it wins premierSHITs.

And I couldn't think of anything more hollow than cheering Carlton on to a flag. In my more charitable moments, I actually pity Carlton supporters. Not because their team is no good these days ... but because their club had no soul even when their team was strong. Arrogant front-runners. That's all they ever were ... and that was at their BEST.

And Essendon .... a mere "commodity" of a club. The eternal gimmick. Not a bad choice if you're a 9-year-old girl with a picture of Lloydie on your wall, next to your favourite boy band. But they just don't cut it if you're looking for a real Club to follow through thick and thin.

Nah ... forget it.

Collingwood is the Club that gives its supporters the most value ... Even when we're BAD we're good.
Rohan 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:09 pm

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:

In fact, Hawthorn are the classic example of the fact that premierships AREN'T everything.

Premierships are the be end all.

Anyone who claims otherwise has a losers mentality. I would rather be broke and without massive memberships and winning premierships on a consistent basis than having huge profits, memberships and not winning flags.

At the end of the day, premierships are the bottom line. Memberships and profits are good but how many supporters hang their hat on having these facets rather than winning premierships?

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:33 pm
Post subject: Finishing secondReply with quote

I moved from Victoria to Queensland 20 years ago,and my biggest regret is that I cannot watch The Mighty Pies play every week, which you LUCKY pricks get to do. Collingwood have not been up this way for 3 years,but this year they are here and I'm like a little kid again.I can't waitLast year I flew down to watch the Pies against Essendon at the "G". We got flogged, but the joy of being there amongst the Magpie faithful was a feeling that I hadn't had for many years.I also went to Victoria park, probably for the last time ever,had several lovely pots of Carlton Draught and bought the last of the limited edition Collingwood watches from the Collingwood shop.
It was a spiritual return to a place I have loved since I was a child.I have seen the pies come second many times 1966, 1970 '77 twice 1980 &81. I sadly missed 1990 but I was there in spirit as i watched from Qld and in a funny way it made up for all those losses.Last year I believe we were the better team on the day, ONE umpiring decision that was not made,the Chris Tarrant non free kick late in the final quarter, would have seen us premiers, against all odds.
\The point I am trying to make , is support the team with all your heart and the rewards will come and wipe away the 2nds that seem to bother so many people.This year will make last years loss a distant memory. FOR SURE!! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: