Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell Nathan Murphy: All tributes.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The team won’t be the same without him, but I’m glad he’s looking out for his health and future. Will always look back on his career and his unbelievable on-field courage fondly.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

Congratulations on your time at the Pies! You will always be a Premiership player. You have been courageous in the way you played the game. Perhaps too much at times but that is why we loved you.

I think you have made the right decision. You are a long time out of football and your future health is important.

I wish you all the very best mate and thank you.

Go Pies!

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 pm

This is really sad news.I hate to see him retire at such a young age.But he must think of his long term health,and I think he has made the right decision regarding that.

All the best on your retirement Nathan.You are a star and a Collingwood premiership player to boot!Well done!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 pm

Worst case scenario comes to bare
Good luck Murph hope you find something to fill the void
Your health is much more important than any game of football
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Very sad for him. I am also pleased that these days we recognise the problem and can avoid a far worse outcome.

His contract expires I believe end of 24, with the midseason draft coming up in a couple of months or so, the club may have financially assisted him to make his announcement earlier than he may have otherwise. I don't mean to sound insensitive.

On field, Frampton has filled the breach, but of course, we also lost a quality player on our list.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:43 pm

Nathan Murphy always a premiership hero. His never say die attitude made him one of my favorites. All the best for the future Nathan.
Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm

I'm sad to hear of Nathan Murphy's medical forced retirement. He was a great part of Collingwoods premiership defense team last year and has always played the game in a terrific spirit and with enormous courage.
It should never be forgotten that Murphy was a very talented sportsman and I remember Nathan Buckley commenting on his initial selection to the team in 2018 when he said that Murphy had been pitted against Degoey at a training drill and held his own against one of the inform players in the league at that time.
Murphy's selfless playing of backing up his fellow defenders helped make Moore and Howe better players in being confident that Murphy could back them up if they took an agressive run at the incoming ball coming into our defensive half. He developed into being a very strong and competive interception marker of the ball as well as Moore and Howe.
A very underated player from a premiership team.
At least his retirement will allow Collingwood to open a spot on our list to potentially recruit some new talent into the AFL list. e.g. Ned Long?

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm

Premiership-winning footy star Nathan Murphy is forced to retire aged just 24 - here's why the AFL should be VERY worried.
Murphy is the sixth AFL player to retire due to the effects of concussion in a 12-month period

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-13312397/Nathan-Murphy-retires-aged-24-concussions-head-knocks-Collingwood-AFL.html

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 pm

Legend of the footy club.
If He doesn't exist ..we literally don't make it to the GF and win

Rest easy now champ
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm

Thanks for the wonderful memories Murph. You will be loved & remembered
forever.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

Just 24 and really in his prime. Ultimately his courage cut short his career. An important cog that will be sorely missed.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

Interesting Murph is the 1st player to be medically retired under advice from the AFL panel of advisors on CTE. I'm sure more about this will come out over coming weeks.

The AFL has recognised the link between head trauma and the degenerative brain disease CTE in its official submission to a Senate inquiry but says the association between head trauma and long-term psychological health is less clear.
In its submission to the Senate inquiry into concussion and repeated head trauma in contact sports, the league said it “acknowledges that there is an association between head trauma and neurodegenerative disease [including chronic traumatic encephalopathy – neuropathological change – CTE-NC].”
The AFL argued “the association between head trauma and long-term psychological health” was similarly unclear.

The AFL’s admission of the link between head trauma and CTE follows those by representatives from the NRL and Football Australia in March hearings.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

I'll echo what everyone else has said, sad to see him retire but happy for him to have made the decision to prioritise his long term health.
The way he played, another concussion was inevitable and I guess he made the call that he couldn't change how he played. Very good, very under rated and a vital cog in the team. He'll be missed on and off the field.

Onya Murph, I'll raise a glass to you later today.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

Very sad news that another potential 200 game Collingwood player has been lost to injury way to soon.
His talent, courage and accountability as a defender leaves a big hole in our team that will be hard to replace.
All the best in your future endeavours Nathan and thanks for your service to the Collingwood Football Club.
Forever a Premiership Magpie.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

Murph, you are hardcore.

Please bring your lawyer to AFL house, with your hand out for long-term compo.
All those atrocities inflicted on you, from 2023, are captured on film as evidence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: