Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL Round 3

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to beat the filth at home.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 pm

blackmissionary wrote:
A very physical, tight, and scrappy first half. Hard to get a read on a lot of players under those circumstances, other than to notice who was and wasn't getting amongst it

Great summary. Any thoughts on Allan?

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:39 pm

Big T wrote:
blackmissionary wrote:
A very physical, tight, and scrappy first half. Hard to get a read on a lot of players under those circumstances, other than to notice who was and wasn't getting amongst it

Great summary. Any thoughts on Allan?

Looking at the stats, he got a lot more of the ball than I thought he did, but I can't say I paid much attention to his work today.

On an unrelated note, Ben Crocker showed some good forward craft today out positioning some bigger Carlton defenders. Considering he's been out of the AFL for four years, it's funny to think he's just four months older than Ash Johnson.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 am

Pies move up, now 7th on the ladder.

Match replay (also available on 7Plus) :

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1109817/vfl-match-replay-r3-carlton-v-collingwood?videoId=1109817&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1713067671001&references=AFL_MATCH:6326

Mini match:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1109626/vfl-mini-match-r3-carlton-v-collingwood?videoId=1109626&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1713067600001&references=AFL_MATCH:6326

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the run down. How did Joe Richards go? Did he get more attention after the first 2 rounds?

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 am

Joe Richards - 1 goal, 9 disposals

Watched the 2nd half on replay and it was a game where no one really shone.

Many of the players commented on how hard it was close in and how cooked they were after the game. The last 4-5 minutes were tough as the Pies defended their lead.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:27 am

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the run down. How did Joe Richards go? Did he get more attention after the first 2 rounds?

Richards was quiet by comparison. Kicked a goal but seemed to be further up the ground today when he got his touches. He’s a neat player but how that translates at the higher level is yet to be established.
As for Allan, he was reasonable but he doesn’t have a lot of presence around the contest. He started in the middle today but I’m not convinced he’s a clearance player. He looks more a winger or third tall defender in time. He’s a creative player in that he reads the game well around him and generally makes good decisions with the ball. He missed a lot of footy as a junior ( back issues ) so there’s some catch up to be done. If they can get his tank up and give him time to grow into his body ( 194cm ) he will get his chance at senior level. Looks another pre season away to me but still with a fair bit of improvement in him.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:00 pm

Cool thanks.

Hope Joe can keep up some sustained form and get a chance. Injury forced GWS to play Harvey Thomas and we can see how good that kid looks. Similar size to Joe.

Allan’s a funny one for me. Too lean for a centre square role at AFL and Sidey and WHE wanting to go on means less opportunity for these types. Another player with a body like Reef. Tall enough but too light on in the contest. Allan’s old man came into the AFL a bit later though so hopefully he can fill out and we get the benefit of a more physical frame. We don’t see him as a 3rd tall in the VFL though as he plays mid / wing and runs through the middle so can’t see that translate to 3rd tall at AFL.

This could end up in a low trade back west if we’re not careful and another wasted first round pick. I hate that the pies lament the lack of first round picks vs GWS and GCS but then all we do is give them away. Schultz has not proven to be a future 1st (2025) and second (2024) trade at this time

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:53 pm

Watched most of the game on the box my view on the players yesterday,

Gee it is always good the beat the filth anywhere any time. Mrs Tourist questioned why we were watching but got hooked commenting that the filth were getting a good run from the officials!!

Fin as quiet early but made a few very nice clearances in the 3rd qtr

TJ looks likely but he does need to be locked in the gym and eat big steaks with protein shakes for 18 months but is exciting however I am not sure you can have an outside CHB

Liked Charlie Deans game looked to be next level for me

Bytel was handy and clever but seemed to be mainly outside

Begg tries very hard but as someone else suggested he is not going to be an AFL Ruckman but he is a warrior against bigger ruckman. He has a bit of the Brodie Grundy better when the ball is on the ground

AJ was nowhere in the 1st but was everywhere in the second until he hurt his ankle and was much better than v Sandy / Aints the other week something to work on but tends to watch after his first effort

Did not see Sullivan not sure why

Carmichael is interesting I always thought he was going to be a bullocking inside mid who was good medium size but seems to be a long kicking defensive forward now.

Allan seemed to get a bit of it but as someone else suggested doesn't use his height and size to advantage. But shows some dare a bit like Crispy runs straight, he did try in the 3rd to centre the ball to Crocker, but Crocker waited for the cheapie over the back cost us a goal than turned into 2 from memory.

Steene looks good when on the ground but he was not for long enough.

Richards can kick a goal you get the feeling that Harvey Harrison is in front of him but I think Richards is a more natural footballer.

Oleg good 2nd half but was quiet in the first half

But can we sign Ned Long NOW please he has size, desire and can play whilst he did the Barry Breen with a memorable point he can finish from long range.

Number 72 who played back likes to take the game on is hard at it, good hands but might only be 190cm and I hope he plays some more and keeps # 72 so we can follow him

Sparkes has some quality at this level it would be good if we asked him as a train on player next next pre season.

Glover is ripper who can play at either end but not sure he is a future AFL the same as his mates Lane, Wilson and Kennedy however I enjoy watching them in Black n White.

Benny Crocker kicked a few and was good but not sure he provides the VFL the leadership but fans will love watching him.

These are my humble opinions open yesterdays great win always keen for others thoughts

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm

Reading other's comments, not sure why there is so much negativity towards our 2s? 2-1 on the season with our only loss being a 2-point loss to Brisbane. Been impressed with Sullivan, Bytel, Richards, and Harrison. Allan showing signs despite his age. Begg played well, but he's a bit of a weird one. 25 tackles, 4 marks on the season. Got dominated in the ruck but then similar to Grundy, can affect the play on the ground. Dean has showed signs and Markov is a good depth player.

I agree very much "Alex" just posted on the VFL page about Dean and Begg especially the Grundy bit. I would like to Begg played as a forward, whilst he is not a great mark he would provide a tall target to bring the ball to ground and allow our smalls to go to work.

I have always loved watching the magoos

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Well done on the win.
I think the main aim of the game was to actaully win it.
Kind of dont worry about trying to inpress to feature in the AFL.
Kind of the try to win this i felt was the general feeling of the team.
And like lets leave the AFL team selctions to the selectors we as players do our job of playing and winning.
I think that was the attitude yesterday and is the right one in my opinion as well.
If you try to impress then sadly you tend to forgot about you team mates.
Good soild win and guess what its a win in the vfl and which isnt transfered into the AFL.
But if i had a 3,2 and 1 ill go 3 carmicheal 2 Steen (before he came off) and 1 each to Marcov (yes he is finding some good touch now) and TJ (a maybe Murphy replacemnt down back)
Special mention to Benny crocker battled well up forward and did ok and kick a few as well.
Any time we beat carlton is good anyway.And on their turf as well.
There were more Pies fans there then Blues which surprised me.
There was say 200-300 there approx.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:12 pm

^^^
Fair summary from Average Tourist.

Need to remember Sullivan played at HB in this game.
Bytel rotated between wing and the centre square. I liked the way he held his position as a winger and always presented as an outlet option but not sure about him as centre square mid. He’s a better player when he’s got time to use his ball skills.
Carmichael mainly played forward of centre. Did little for three quarters but basically won us the game with three late goals when the game was on the line. Personally, the huge step up to seniors looks a little out of reach for Carmichael at the moment. Love the way he’s trimmed down and worked on his game but I’m just not sure he has the polish at a higher grade.

Harrison continues to improve but maybe still a gut busting preseason away.
Jaith, given he’s still a teenager, looks all class to me and should play AFL as long as there’s no distractions along the way.
We still haven’t seen DeMattia or Eyre ( although he played ok last year in VFL ) Steene has hardly played yet and Ryan was out injured. Ryan is another one who looks destined for the higher level but also needs the monster pre season as a launching pad.
There’s a bit to encourage supporters but the challenge is to see the positive qualities in these young blokes and then crystal ball as to whether they would still be on show at a much higher level. If you can’t find time and space in the VFL, you certainly won’t find it in the AFL
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm

It was great to see a VFL Collingwood team defeat Carlton. Can never be tired of seeing that!!
Of the players who caught my eye;
1. No 72 Copper McDonald - Looked tough and had a real go for his first try in Black & White. Nice pace, great hands and certainly added a lot off the back flank.
2. Ed Allan - he has a terrific tank and continually shows up at consecutive contests all over the ground. Good hands and I still say this kid has potential to be the equivalent of Tom Green at GWS. I'd love to get him a game this week to replace Pendlebury if Pendles is still sore with those ribs.
3. Josh Carmichael - A very interesting player with strength, natural footballing skills and knows where the goals are. Seems to lack a bit of speed which is probably holding him back a bit but I think he has potential to be AFL standard.
4. Joe Richards - After a stellar start to the season was a bit quiter in this game but he seems pretty clean with good skills. He's very light and doesn't seem to have the speed to compensate for that lack of strength. I don't see anything in his potential to play at the AFL level but happy to be proved wrong if he can continue to develop.
5. Harvey Harrison - looks like a Million Dollars when he gets it and takes off with an impressive acceleration to sprint away from the opposition. I'd like to see him increase his disposal count, which is often difficult to do when playing small forward and I'd like to see him get better at disposal but with that speed as a weapon has good potential.
6. Charlie Dean - Going OK and may get better with some more experience. Has missed two seasons of footy so I'm happy to see him play at full back for the VFL for this season and see how he develops.
7. Oscar Steene - As with a lot of young rukmen he needs some further time to develop his body and craft.
8. Aiden Begg - I can't see the point of contining toplay him as a ruckman in the VFL where he competes well but surely will never be at AFL standard. I wish the club would commit to playing him as a key forward for the rest of this season in the VFL and see what he can do there. Else this will surely be his last season with us.
9. No. 55 Ben Long - looks a class above the VFL at the moment so must be a chance for the mid-season draft but that might mean he ends up playing against us. Hawthorn clearly didn't rate him after delisting him after a couple of years on their list but perhaps he has improved with some more experience, maturity and involvement with a first class development program.
10. No.49 Jack Hutchinson - Looks a very aggressive and athletic footballer. Didn't have a big game after getting a lot of attention as another potential mid-year draft prospect. Didn't look to possess anything uniquly outstanding during yesterday's game and made a terrible mistake at a crucial time in the last quarter to cough the ball up on the wing when trying to play-on when the game situation called for cool heads.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm

What was impressive about Carmichael is his ability to score goals- he has the happy knack of being in the right position at the right time.
The questions are: a) who does he replace and b) how much time would he spend on ball in the AFL? Perhaps he is the sub??
In terms of Markov, his first half was only fair, but he seemed to have license to run after half time and generated many scores from the back half.
Only problem for Markov is, he ain't replacing Noble this week unless, the selectors believe we need a stronger body who can run very quick.
Although I have pumped up Harrison, his form yesterday would not warrant elevation...
I like Begg- he gets in there and tackles hard, but he ain't a ruckman and people who criticise Cox for not taking marks would struggle to support Begg.
Steene is a far better mark (and 201cms), but is injured.

This is why back-to-back occurs so infrequently- it is bloody hard to get all the moving parts back on the park if you have a bad run with injuries...

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 pm

Let’s be realistic here…anyone who watched the VFL game knows Finn wasn’t our best…not even close…several non-AFL listed players had much better games. Numerous cheap ineffective disposals should not be the barometer of a ‘good game’.

As for Begg, he spent more time on the ground than green on grass. For a time there I honestly thought he must’ve had a head knock or something and was genuinely concerned for his well-being…haven’t seen a more feeble 197cm 97kg 21 year old man who can get out bodied so easily ever… he practically fell over with every gust of wind. And it was windy that day my friends. Those thinking he could have any impact in the AFL against Alir Alir and Rateogalea et al are delusional.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: